Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:40:40 pm

Author Topic: Kicking off FreeStudyNotes early!  (Read 13159 times)  Share 

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Kicking off FreeStudyNotes early!
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:28 pm »
+16
This was going to be my Summer project for after VCE, but following my disgust at the state of the BoS servers, I realised that us VCE'ers needed a reliable forum service!

What's coming:
A dynamic notes-sharing VCE community where access to notes is dependent upon your own contributions.

What's happening now:
For now, I'm focussing on completing my own VCE, and until then all we'll have is this little phpBB forum, but the idea right now is to build up a niche of community members and when the site gets up and running, we will have word of mouth already!

Enjoy!

enwiabe

EDIT:

I just want to say this at the start before anyone casts aspersions or thinks I've led people on: this is a business venture. I will be looking to make money from this website through advertising. But I say this now, and I will never recant it: There will never ever be a fee required to access FSN. FSN will always be free for every VCE student to use. The only money I hope to make is through advertising. This website, after all, provides FREE study notes. May this website prosper for many years to come.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:06:53 pm by enwiabe »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:24:29 pm »
Brainstorm: over the summer, do you think it would be a good idea to work on a group project type thing where there is a website for each (well, probably not every) VCE subject with course/exam advice and overviews of all the vital knowledge and stuff like a study guide, maybe even practise exams created by past high-achieving students? Even if it were free, the ad space would collect some money...

Anyway, that was my random outburst for today.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:51:08 pm »
I think that would be kind of what I had in mind. :P Well, not about the study guides and practise exams (nice suggestions, btw!) but to have a dedicated page for each subject. If you'd like to volunteer for English/History etc. that'd be fantastic, but it would be volunteer work. :P Of course, if we do start making money from the site, I think we'd have to devise a scheme of payment, but again, not looking to make too much money other than enough to pay server costs in the first year. But yes, after November 26th... lots of brainstorming :D

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:57:46 am »
I'm looking for a reward system that can reward me (not a lot) for the work that I do. I would put in a much larger effort than I previously did on BoS if I knew there would be compensation for my time invested, somehow.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 07:51:34 am »
Perhaps you could install a wiki application, such as MediaWiki, and allow registered users to edit these 'subject pages'?

As an aside, do you intend on profiting from this site? Via advertisements, subscriptions, or otherwise?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:50:48 am »
Advertising only. FreeStudyNotes will always be FreeStudyNotes, but if it grows significantly large, and I do hope it does, I don't want to be running at a loss for server costs. So yes, you should expect to see some google ads banners and stuff.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 03:33:26 pm »
By the way, search is broken. 'search_time' column doesn't exist in your phpbb_search_results table, it seems.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:34:31 pm »
Hmmm, how would I go about fixing this?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 03:40:03 pm »
Hmmm, I think I may have got it.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:24 pm »
Check your private messages.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »
Nevermind, you fixed it! Did you just add the column to the database?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:08:46 pm »
Just want everyone to read my edit who's already signed up. *bumps post*

Khangfu

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:01 pm »
Just make sure the ads dunt try to install some spyware or trojan horse on my computer :D

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 08:43:14 pm »
... You mean that's not okay?

:P jk

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:51:45 pm »
How annoying is that BoS ad where when you scroll over it it pops up! Wait, BoS doesn't exist.. FSN FTW!
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.