Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:35:56 am

Author Topic: Lower ATAR than I needed - what do I do?  (Read 1637 times)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Lower ATAR than I needed - what do I do?
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »
+18
Hey guys!

With results just around the corner, a lot of people have the same thought "What if I receive an ATAR lower than the cutoff - is all hope lost?" at this time.

And the answer is no. You may be disappointed and I encourage you to let your emotions out - crying is good for you! ;)

What you need to remember is that uni offers are limited in spots and that the guaranteed entry ATAR score is not set in stone. So you could still get into the course you wanted with a slightly lower ATAR! It just depends on whether all spots are filled or not!

It's okay to feel disappointed. Trust me, even with a 90+ ATAR, I was still a bit disappointed that I didn't make the ATAR goal of 95! But that's life - you win some, you lose some! So what should you do?

Actions you could take:
Many may feel dejected and give up on their first preference. So they remove their first preference to get a guaranteed offer! Trust me, I've done this as well. But like I said, uni make offers based on how many spots are available so you should always keep your first preference first!

However, don't feel disheartened if you don't make it into the course! You could apply for a course that is similar in nature with a slightly lower ATAR requirement and then do a transfer after first year!

Alternatively, it doesn't have to be at the same uni. You can apply to a lower ranked uni with the same course and transfer some credits over from your previous study at the old university! You can find more info on credit transfers on every university's website!

In summary:
- It's okay to feel disappointed about your results but use this time to reflect on what went wrong and see if you can improve on it when university comes around.

- Remember that your ATAR is not the be-all-end-all and there is more to life than just the ATAR!

- There are always pathways to your dream course - so don't feel like all hope is lost if you achieve an ATAR slightly lower than the cutoff for guaranteed entry!

Good luck to everyone! I'm sure you all did better than you thought!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:31:02 pm by Opengangs »