Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:46:29 am

Author Topic: I am not sure if I got this right.  (Read 1064 times)  Share 

HYANA

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
I am not sure if I got this right.
« on: July 26, 2020, 01:12:05 pm »
+3
Hello peeps, so as of now I am just finishing off a physics prac with a ticker-timer. Each 5 ticks is 0.1 second, and the prac was to measure distance then find the speed. However, even though distance and time increased, the "speed' kept going lower. I am not sure if this is correct. Please verify <3

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
Re: I am not sure if I got this right.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 01:46:50 pm »
Hello peeps, so as of now I am just finishing off a physics prac with a ticker-timer. Each 5 ticks is 0.1 second, and the prac was to measure distance then find the speed. However, even though distance and time increased, the "speed' kept going lower. I am not sure if this is correct. Please verify <3
speed = distance / time

So if distance and time both increase if time increases at a faster rate than distance then the average speed will decrease.
I don't think your data is off. The distance traveled stays the same but it’s taking longer for it to complete the distance, so the speed should decrease. It looks like distance is staying the same time is increasing and thus, speed would decrease because speed*time=distance, so when time increases, speed has to decrease (if distance is constant).

However, keep in mind, you’re doing average speed, not speed per tick. Speed ≠ velocity, speed is distance over time. And is always positive. Speed is a scalar whereas velocity is a vector. Same with distance and displacement. And that is one small number of sigfigs
so don't expect to have 'accurate' results.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 02:04:49 pm by 1729 »