Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:04:53 pm

Author Topic: The balance between Year 11 Revision and Year 12 Revision?  (Read 2866 times)  Share 

Ci101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
The balance between Year 11 Revision and Year 12 Revision?
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
Hey! In terms of 2 units maths how much time do you think should be devoted to revising year 11 work?  Especially since year 11 content counts for 30% of the HSC and anything can be tested from it? What's a realistic balance for revising year 11 work and consolidating year 12 content?

For me personally, I've forgotten a lot of the formulas/processes for year 11 already (due to a lack of practice/revision last year).  Because I need to catchup considerably is it a good plan if every day in term 1 I spend at least  1 hour consolidating year 11 content and then 1 hour studying year 12 content?  And what should my end goal be? Should I be aiming to, by Term 2 only revise year 11 content when I'm completing practice papers and like once a fortnight?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:46:40 pm by Ci101 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: The balance between Year 11 Revision and Year 12 Revision?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:54 pm »
Hey! In terms of 2 units maths how much time do you think should be devoted to revising year 11 work?  Especially since year 11 content counts for 30% of the HSC and anything can be tested from it? What's a realistic balance for revising year 11 work and consolidating year 12 content?

For me personally, I've forgotten a lot of the formulas/processes for year 11 already (due to a lack of practice/revision last year).  Because I need to catchup considerably is it a good plan if every day in term 1 I spend at least  1 hour consolidating year 11 content and then 1 hour studying year 12 content?  And what should my end goal be? Should I be aiming to, by Term 2 only revise year 11 content when I'm completing practice papers and like once a fortnight?
You answered your own question when you acknowledged the 30% (note: I thought it was 20% though) prelim takes up in the final exam.

Firstly, we'll remark that when you have some small test coming up (i.e. not half yearly exam etc.) you probably want to keep your focus on the topics being examined. They usually examine 2-5 topics at a time, and that's where you should be attending to so that you maximise your marks for that topic only.

Now, you're bound to be doing other subjects besides maths. So maths will only take up a certain amount of your study time as a whole. And then on top of that, at most 30% should be based off prelim. Quite low right?

So what you should do: If you have a timetable, slot in a small piece every week for Year 11 maths only. And you shouldn't be drilling it. You should be doing enough so that you can recollect all the knowledge you lost from last year. You should be doing enough to ensure you sustain a sufficient level of understanding.

Because when the time comes for you to do past papers, that's when you're gonna gun out the really hard stuff  For now, focus on just getting back what you forgot.

Numbers wise (hours and mins)? Up to you to decide what's best for you.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:14:00 pm »

Hey, welcome welcome! ;D

My policy on Year 11 content is that you don't need to explicitly revise it until exam blocks. Topic tests won't assess it directly - If you can do your Year 12 content then you know enough Prelim to handle a topic test on that content.

Exam blocks are different. HSC, Trials, and Half Yearlies (potentially) can all assess preliminary content. So that undoubtedly demands that you give it some attention.

Personally, I never explicitly revised Prelim content. My only revision was past papers of the same type (EG - past Trials before Trials, past half yearlies before half yearlies, etc). These will act as the perfect way to check whether there is any prelim content you have forgotten, and give you an indicator if you need to devote any extra time to it. Essentially, I don't think you should explicitly devote time to Year 11 content unless you are in the lead up to an exam block, and your preparation leads you to believe that you need it.

Besides that, you implicitly revise Year 11 content all the time. Differentiation is constantly revised, geometry pops up heaps in Applications of Calculus to the Physical World, etc :) just my two cents!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:03 pm »
Just a question in relation to prelim content for other subjects. A few teachers have said that prelim content won't be assessed in every subject but math during the HSC. Is that true?
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »

Just a question in relation to prelim content for other subjects. A few teachers have said that prelim content won't be assessed in every subject but math during the HSC. Is that true?

True to an extent! With English it's a total refresh with new texts and whatnot for example. Basically, treat prelim content as "general knowledge"! They won't directly ask on what's within the preliminary syllabus, but they'll inquire your skills gained from prelim!

For example with chemistry prelim you learnt to balance chemical equations, learnt about the properties of water and metal - in assessible exams for the HSC I was asked general questions, relating to the HSC syllabus, linking with known content form prelim!

Hope this makes sense :)
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »
As mentioned above, it is indeed true to an extent.

Think about it. Only about 30% of the marks can be prelim in the final exam. How are you going to put EVERY single prelim topic in a matter of only 30% of the paper?
True to an extent! With English it's a total refresh with new texts and whatnot for example. Basically, treat prelim content as "general knowledge"! They won't directly ask on what's within the preliminary syllabus, but they'll inquire your skills gained from prelim!

For example with chemistry prelim you learnt to balance chemical equations, learnt about the properties of water and metal - in assessible exams for the HSC I was asked general questions, relating to the HSC syllabus, linking with known content form prelim!

Hope this makes sense :)
The difference is that in maths, it can be EXPLICITLY assessed, not implicitly. They ARE allowed to as you a question on, for example, the quadratic discriminant. Or a locus question.

Ci101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 02:15:48 pm »
+1
Thanks everyone for the insight :) It’s refreshing to know I don’t need to madly catch up on year 11 content. I’ll just make sure to build year 11 revision into some of my study blocks.