Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:17 pm

Author Topic: Random Psych Questions =]  (Read 19188 times)  Share 

Streaker

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
Re: Random Psych Questions =]
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »
Check Question 39 on the VCAA 2007 exam...

hpak

Re: Random Psych Questions =]
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 05:26:01 pm »
i got D aswell; answer is B

It's definitely B. Why? Well, remember operant conditioning doesn't necessarily occur for conscious behaviours. Easiest examples I can give is phobias. A person doesn't deliberately avoid a anxiety-provoking solution because he/she wants to. It's because he/she has been conditioned to feel anxiety at X situation. Repetitive exposure to this could be likened to a sort of punishment. Hence the person would want to avoid that sort of situation.

Haha Glock, what are you talking about?
I don't understand how it's "definitely" B. An actual behaviour is either "deliberate or involuntary" in CC and OC. Whereas the actual learning PROCESS is either passive or active - because in the case of operant conditioning, you are actively operating on your environment in order to receive some form of consequence - and the consequence is dependent on that behaviour taking place. In CC, you're passive, because the reinforcement (presentation of the stimulus) occurs regardless of the response of the learner. If the question was, "The PROCESS by which an operant conditioned response is acquired is more likely to be...", then the answer would be active. That's how I've always understood it anyway.

Yes, you're correct in saying that the responses aren't always voluntary/deliberate - but take note of the fact that the question says, "Behaviour which is learnt through operant conditioning rather than through classical conditioning is more likely to be"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:16:06 pm by hpak »