Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:30:34 pm

Author Topic: Can someone mark my extended response on stress please  (Read 849 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Can someone mark my extended response on stress please
« on: March 31, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on stress so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well
- what areas i need to improve in
- sentence structure (if i am writing in the correct format and using the write terms in my response)
- and also since this is out of 10 can you tell me how much would i get out of 10 please thank you.

And also feel free to add anything else that i may have missed

Scenario: Tasha is a doctor in a busy general practice. Tasha returned to work after 6 months maternity leave to a very busy flu season that required working 12 hour days to cope with the extra patient load. As well as being very busy at work, Tasha missed her baby son. After 6 weeks of this workload she developed a severe tension headache by the end of almost every working day. After a few days, Tasha’s headaches went away although she was still working long hours in the busy surgery.When she caught the flu herself, Tasha had to take a week off work. After recovering and being back at work for a few days, Tasha was unable to get up to go to work one morning. When she consulted her own doctor, she was diagnosed as being extremely stressed and physically drained. The doctor recommended that she saw a psychologist to help her assess her situation. The psychologist helped Tasha to evaluate her priorities and Tasha realised that she would prefer to only work 2 days a week, to spend more time with her son.

With reference to Tasha’s situation, provide a detailed analysis of her sources of stress, biological responses and psychological responses. In your response, discuss the theories and models of stress and/or coping that are relevant to this scenario.

My Response:

Tasha experiences stress in her daily pressures in her life on a daily basis after she has returned back to work after her maternity leave. The birth of her baby son was a life event for Tasha and eustress experience. Although after she came back to work, she has to deal with the extra patient load resulting into Tasha falling into distress mode. Tasha reacted negatively to the stressor which led to her developing a severe tension headache by the end of each working day. This was an ongoing daily pressure, as she is going through the stress of 12 hours of work a day. Tasha’s biological response to stress was that she was constantly getting headaches and then after she catched the flu.

GAS Model

Tasha’s experience relates to the GAS Model as Tasha experienced the alarm reaction stage (the shock stage) when she came back to work from her maternity leave as when she came back she found herself having to work 12 hours a day because of the extra patients that are coming due to the flu season. Tasha then experiences countershock as she prepares herself to fight with the stressor which leads to her continuing her work for 6 weeks. Tasha then experiences the second stage of the GAS model, which is the resistance stage. Tasha developed headaches nearly every working day but she fought it and then it went away but Tasha still worked her busy schedule, Tasha also catching the flu herself led her to take a break but then recovered from it and went back to work. Tasha goes on to the exhaustion stage when she is unable to go to work (suddenly), which then after an appointment with her doctor, finds out she is extremely stressed and physically drained.

Coping with Stress Strategies

Tasha used an approach strategy to help deal with the stressor. She used a problem-focused strategy to help deal with the stressor. This includes her seeing a doctor and knowing that she has a problem that she needs to deal with, she finds solutions and strategies that are logical that can aid her to help deal with the stressor thus seeing a psychologist to help find a solution for the problem.

Lazarus and Folkman Transactional Model of Stress and Coping

Tasha identified the stressor that she is facing which is dealing with long hours of work everyday as a primary appraisal in reference to the Lazarus and Folkman Model and identified it as a challenge to deal with the workload but she kept going with her work. After her illness she reappraised the situation and felt the stressor was actually harming her. Then she thought of what resources she has available to her to help solve the stressor and she found that a doctor appointment and a visit to the psychologist helped her deal with the stressor.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: Can someone mark my extended response on stress please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:55 pm »
+8
Hey amanaazim!
So, like your GAS Model response, I made changes to the quote below. My changes are in red colour.

Tasha experiences stress in her daily pressures in her life on a daily basis after she has returned back to work after her maternity leave. The birth of her baby son was a life event for Tasha  (it would be good to define life event here)as it was an event that involved change and forced her to adapt to new circumstances and she also would have experienced eustress, which is the positive psychological response to a stressor associated with positive psychological states including excitement and enthusiasm. Although after she came back to work, she has to deal with the extra patient load resulting into Tasha falling into distress mode feeling distress, which is the negative psychological response to a stressor, which is the long hour working days and high demands at work . Tasha reacted negatively to the stressor which led to her developing a severe tension headache by the end of each working day. You can just talk about this in the GAS model, where it is more applicable.This You should specify what ‘this’ is: high demands at work and long working days is a daily pressure which are defined as hassles or little problems of everyday living that annoy or bother us and may make us upset or angry  was an ongoing daily pressure, as she is going through the stress of 12 hours of work a day. It would be better to mention this at the beginning of the sentence Tasha’s biological response to stress was that she was constantly getting headaches and then after she catched caught the flu. You could just mention this in the GAS Model part as Gas is referring to the biological component.

GAS Model (Describe the GAS Model more in depth. It’s really good that you’re using the information from the stem to link your knowledge to the scenario. You integrated both very well)
GAS is a three stage physiological response to stress and Tasha’s experience relates to the GAS Model where she underwent the three stages.
 Tasha experienced the alarm reaction stage (the shock stage) when she first became aware of the stressor when she  came back to work from her maternity leave and her blood pressure and body temperature may have dropped as her body reacts as if it is injuredas when she came back she found herself having to work 12 hours a day because of the extra patients that are coming due to the flu season. You could move this up where we're talking about the stressor. Good linking to the scenarioTasha then experiences countershock as she prepares herself to fight with the stressor which leads to her continuing her work for 6 weeks.  Tasha’s sympathetic nervous system was activated and the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline were released as a result. Her level of resistance to the stressor of high work demands increases. Tasha then experiences the second stage of the GAS model, which is the resistance stage. Here, Tasha’s resistance to the stressor of working long hours and a high number of patient cases, increases above the normal level of resistance. Here, there was a high amount of cortisol stress hormone in her body for a prolonged period of time, which results in a suppressed immune system demonstrated when she caught the flu. Tasha developed headaches nearly every working day but she fought it and then it went away but Tasha still worked her busy schedule, Tasha also catching the flu herself led her to take a break but then recovered from it and went back to work. Tasha goes on to experiences the exhaustion stage when she is unable to go to work (suddenly), which then after an appointment with her doctor, finds out she is extremely stressed and physically drained. Her body’s resources are depleted and she has a high risk of developing mental and physical health disorders such as depression.

Coping with Stress Strategies

Tasha used an approach strategy to help deal with the stressor, where she deals directly with the stressor of high work demands at work and directs activity toward solving the problem..
She used a problem-focused strategy to help deal with the stressor. This isn't in the study design, it would be better to stick to 'approach coping strategies unless your teacher expects you to talk about problem-focused in SACs and other assessments.'This includes her seeing a doctor and knowing that she has a problem that she needs to deal with, she finds solutions and strategies that are logical that can aid her to help deal with the stressor thus seeing a psychologist to help find a solution for the problem. You should mention the specific solution so that you are linking back to the scenario: that is, Tasha was suggested that she work 2 days a week so that she can spend more time with her son.Your description is really good by the way. You could also talk about context-specific effectiveness where Tasha’s coping strategy used matches or is a good fit for the stressor of work demands, that is going to see the doctor to find out how she can solve her stress issue.

Lazarus and Folkman Transactional Model of Stress and Coping proposes that stress involves an encounter between the individual and the environment and that the stress response depends on the individual’s appraisal.... It’s a good idea to define key terms, especially models.

Tasha identified the stressor that she is facing which is dealing with long hours of work everyday as a primary appraisal in reference to the Lazarus and Folkman Model and identified it as a challenge to deal with the workload but she kept going with her work. Actually, it would not be characterised as ‘challenge’ as ‘challenge’ is when there is potential for growth/personal gain however, it seems like she appraised it as harm/loss as she missed her baby or even threat. She appraised it as stressful (out of benign/positive, irrelevant and stressful) and then she undertook the additional appraisal of harm/loss or threat, whichever angle you decide to take.After her illness she reappraised the situation and felt the stressor was actually harming her. You should mention secondary appraisal here and how it involves evaluating her available coping options and resources. Then she thought of what resources she has available to her to help solve the stressor and she found that a doctor appointment and a visit to the psychologist helped her deal with the stressor.

What you did well:
You linked the scenario to your knowledge of psychology really well and you provided detail in your response. You also provide a lot of explanation about a particular concept, in relation to Tasha's situation which is amazing. I also liked how you answered every part of the question and separated them into paragraphs. This is really good because you have clearly set out your response in a clear and structured way so teachers/examiners can easily tick off what you have included.

What you can improve on:
- My teachers have said that you should define key terms and so it would be a good idea to define the models especially: GAS, Lazarus and Folkman's Transactional Model of Stress and Coping and also the sources of stress. It doesn't need to be an overly long definition, you can just say what it is.
- You could make your response more concise. In some areas, some of the expressions could be shortened so that they are more meaningful, meaning the same thing can be said in a shorter way. This will also save time when you're writing the extended response.

Also, about the mark out of 10. I don't think I am qualified to give a mark (lol) because the extended response is marked very harshly and there is not a set marking scheme that examiners follow when marking the 10-marker. For example, in short answer, one point generally equates to one mark but that's not the case in Extended Response. I think it would be better to ask your teacher about what mark they would give you out of 10.
Again, I've marked this question based on what my teachers would expect on SACs and what they have taught us to do.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:37:15 am by Evolio »