Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:32:51 am

Author Topic: Offered Religion & Society Unit 3&4 in Year 10?  (Read 2309 times)  Share 

mindBLOWN

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Offered Religion & Society Unit 3&4 in Year 10?
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »
Hey guys,

I have been offered religion and society unit3&4 in year 10 which is a year 12 subject should I do it, is it worth my time?
Also if you had any experience in this subject can you tell me about it?
Is the workload high?

Cheers

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Offered Religion & Society Unit 3&4 in Year 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I have been offered religion and society unit3&4 in year 10 which is a year 12 subject should I do it, is it worth my time?
Also if you had any experience in this subject can you tell me about it?
Is the workload high?

Cheers

Hey there!
If you've been given the option to complete a 3/4 in year 10, I'd definitely take it!! I think you won't regret it when you're in year 11 and 12 and have a 3/4 already completed!

Religion and Society is a pretty interesting subject - however possibly one of the hardest things with 3/4 RE is that there are limited resources out there to use; in addition to each school studying a different religion. There are of course the 'general' parts of the study design, but a fair bit of it is focused on the history, beliefs, challenges, etc. of a particular religion.

Have a look at the new Religion & Society study design (below), and if you think you'd enjoy the subject, I'd highly recommend completing it :)

And even if you don't achieve a study score you're happy with, or what you're aiming for, the experience will almost definitely help you in future years, as you'll learn what does and doesn't work for you, what you need to improve on (study-wise), how the system works, etc.

Click here for the new Religion & Society Study Design
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
If you've been given the option to complete a 3/4 in year 10, I'd definitely take it!! I think you won't regret it when you're in year 11 and 12 and have a 3/4 already completed!

And even if you don't achieve a study score you're happy with, or what you're aiming for, the experience will almost definitely help you in future years, as you'll learn what does and doesn't work for you, what you need to improve on (study-wise), how the system works, etc.

Can confirm!

As a personal recommendation, having a support network is definitely helpful. Have some teachers who will go through things with you when times are tough, to organise your timetable (perhaps you will be missing Year 10 classes) and for emotional support.
Also, though we can assume you'd be very capable of completing the subject, be assured that you can also pull out if it's not for you. Whether the workload is too high, or whether you simply lose interest, you can drop it without any consequence :)
That's why indeed you should take the offer! Give it a shot and see where it leads you, because it certainly won't put you at any disadvantage!

Good luck!!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Jalapeno

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:55:26 pm »
I'd say give it a shot! I did Units 3+4 in Year 11 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The subject rewards independence and this skill will be invaluable for Year 11 and 12. It's quite English-based in that you need to be able to write a heaps of essays (and quickly too) and be able to have clear and succinct expression in your short-answer and extended response questions. I didn't find the workload to be too heavy, and the Year 12s agreed that it had a lower workload in comparison to their other theory-based subjects. But it will be a step up from your current Year 9 studies.

I had a look at the new study design and there's been a few changes but some of the older and outdated resources might still be helpful for you.

Good luck :)
2017-: Bachelor of Commerce, UoM