Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 06:10:39 pm

Author Topic: Clarification on Section C  (Read 1896 times)  Share 

ayylmao123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: CRC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Clarification on Section C
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:02:05 pm »
Hi

I've heard some quite contrasting opinions on the length of the Section C essays for R&S.

I've looked at all past examination reports, and there seem to be some essays that are in a very short length that are considered as 'upper range'. Are these just little excerpts of essays that VCAA put in? I'm assuming they are. And then I've seen decent sized essays, around 650-700 words.

I know it's definitely quality over quantity, so it's hard to say, but approximately how much would I need to write to achieve a 14/20? I've noticed my essays are around 4 pages in a regular workbook, and all the content is in there. Should I just be getting 'straight to the point', and cut out the english-like style for my essay? Because I know that'll save me some time, but will it cost me a lot of marks?

Sorry for the vagueness of the question, but I could get an answer, that'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
Re: Clarification on Section C
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:34:13 pm »
Hi

I've heard some quite contrasting opinions on the length of the Section C essays for R&S.

I've looked at all past examination reports, and there seem to be some essays that are in a very short length that are considered as 'upper range'. Are these just little excerpts of essays that VCAA put in? I'm assuming they are. And then I've seen decent sized essays, around 650-700 words.

I know it's definitely quality over quantity, so it's hard to say, but approximately how much would I need to write to achieve a 14/20? I've noticed my essays are around 4 pages in a regular workbook, and all the content is in there. Should I just be getting 'straight to the point', and cut out the english-like style for my essay? Because I know that'll save me some time, but will it cost me a lot of marks?

Sorry for the vagueness of the question, but I could get an answer, that'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :)
To be honest, rns is such a wishy washy subject that you're better off writing more to be safe. Keep the English flair, it's not just about having the bare facts but as my teacher liked to say- you gotta have the 'panache' to get the good marks

Make sure you are really addressing the prompt though, as no matter how long or stylish your essay is, this is the number one thing they look for because everyone already has their memorised essays. it's about how you can adapt to really grapple with the prompt

4 pages is plenty long enough, in the exam booklet that will be roughly 5 because the lines are quite big so definitely nothing to worry about in terms of quantity, just make sure you're nailing the quality now

Good luck!
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni