Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:52:49 pm

Author Topic: Generic Essays  (Read 2512 times)

asdffgghhjkl

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Generic Essays
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:52:44 am »
Hey! I was told to try write a generic essay in preparation for trials but I was wondering, how exactly can you write an essay without a question (generic essay..)? What criteria or argument do you follow??!?!??!

This is for all advanced modules and aos essay....

Thank you !! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Generic Essays
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:49:51 pm »
Hey! I was told to try write a generic essay in preparation for trials but I was wondering, how exactly can you write an essay without a question (generic essay..)? What criteria or argument do you follow??!?!??!

This is for all advanced modules and aos essay....

Thank you !! :)

Good question! I think it is easiest to do for Area of Study. I approached it by deciding on a thesis that was true of both my prescribed and related text. So for me, it was something about "The evolution of a human is owed to the process of discovery." So, it reflects the stimulus because I'm using a loose synonym for "transformative" which is in the rubric. So my practice essay would basically use that thesis as though that were my response to the essay question. Then when I went into the exam, I'd use the question they give me as my support statement for my prepared thesis, or make my prepared statement by support thesis, depending on how whacky the question was that they gave me. So my introduction would start with two sentences that don't talk about the texts at all: one sentence was my prepared thesis, and the second was the response to the question. Then I'd make a conscious effort of weaving through the question in my response!

The modules are harder to prepare for. Module A, I decided on a thesis statement that was essentially about the importance of context to texts. I knew how I wanted to introduce my texts, and I knew how I wanted to lay it out in terms of sentences. My only challenge was incorporating the question in. I had a prepared paragraph that would talk about context, and I'd weave the question into that. As for my second paragraph, that would be determined by the question completely. So I went through past papers and picked out the trends, tried to predict possibilities of what they could ask me, etc. I kind of prepared a few different body paragraphs, each with their own textual analysis, to whip out and apply to a question. And that worked!

I did poems for Module B so that's always hard. I couldn't prepare that, I just had to know my poems really really well.

I was the first cohort to do People and Landscapes for Module C so we assumed a fairly easy essay question. So I kind of did the same thing I did for area of study, by choosing an idea to flow with, and then adding on to it in the exam. And that worked a charm for me :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

asdffgghhjkl

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:31:47 pm »
Good question! I think it is easiest to do for Area of Study. I approached it by deciding on a thesis that was true of both my prescribed and related text. So for me, it was something about "The evolution of a human is owed to the process of discovery." So, it reflects the stimulus because I'm using a loose synonym for "transformative" which is in the rubric. So my practice essay would basically use that thesis as though that were my response to the essay question. Then when I went into the exam, I'd use the question they give me as my support statement for my prepared thesis, or make my prepared statement by support thesis, depending on how whacky the question was that they gave me. So my introduction would start with two sentences that don't talk about the texts at all: one sentence was my prepared thesis, and the second was the response to the question. Then I'd make a conscious effort of weaving through the question in my response!

The modules are harder to prepare for. Module A, I decided on a thesis statement that was essentially about the importance of context to texts. I knew how I wanted to introduce my texts, and I knew how I wanted to lay it out in terms of sentences. My only challenge was incorporating the question in. I had a prepared paragraph that would talk about context, and I'd weave the question into that. As for my second paragraph, that would be determined by the question completely. So I went through past papers and picked out the trends, tried to predict possibilities of what they could ask me, etc. I kind of prepared a few different body paragraphs, each with their own textual analysis, to whip out and apply to a question. And that worked!

I did poems for Module B so that's always hard. I couldn't prepare that, I just had to know my poems really really well.

I was the first cohort to do People and Landscapes for Module C so we assumed a fairly easy essay question. So I kind of did the same thing I did for area of study, by choosing an idea to flow with, and then adding on to it in the exam. And that worked a charm for me :)

Thank you! Also, with remembering quotes, do you recommend remembering them in terms of central ideas or just important quotes in general ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
+1
Thank you! Also, with remembering quotes, do you recommend remembering them in terms of central ideas or just important quotes in general ?

I'd recommend learning them flexibly around central ideas!! Just to make them easier to recall in specific paragraphs, but even so, don't be afraid to mix and match if you think it necessary on the day!  ;D