Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 11:59:58 pm

Author Topic: English Comparative text response - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham  (Read 3916 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
English Comparative text response - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:52 am »
+1
I've already gotten feedback from my teacher on this, but she only told me a few things to fix so it wasn't particularly helpful. I've fixed what she suggested but now I don't really know what else I should be trying to improve. I will forever be grateful if someone could rip this to shreds for me <3 Thank you

Prompt: “Together we will be heard,” Malala declared. Compare the ways women’s voices are silenced and heard in Made in Dagenham and I am Malala.
Spoiler
Nigel Cole’s Made in Dagenham and Malala Yousafzai’s I am Malala explore the variety of ways in which women’s voices are restricted and empowered. Whilst I am Malala tackles the issue of inequality on a much larger scale, both Malala and Rita’s struggles endeavour to make society fairer for women and girls. Both texts exhibit examples of women’s voices being silenced and heard, however the author and director use this to examine different facets of society. Whilst both texts advocate the necessity of support, they promote different methods of achieving this support, whilst Rita requires support throughout the entirety of her journey, Malala is able to gain support after being isolated.

Both Rita and Malala require support in order for their voices to be heard, however this support comes from different places. In Made in Dagenham, Rita receives the support of her peers who have decided that they ‘will not support this any longer.’ Whilst Rita is the spearhead for the machinists’ campaign, the film indicates that all of the women are equally important for the success of their fight. Whilst protesting outside parliament house, all of the women are filmed at the same level. Cole’s use of camera angles here indicates that no singular woman is more important than the rest. Through presenting a united front, the machinists are able to garner the attention of Ford and of the general public. During their protest this support is indicated through the honking of car horns, this encouragement empowers Rita to stand up to the media, who are ridiculing her by calling her the ‘Revlon revolutionary’. The contrast of Rita’s supporters overwhelmingly outnumbering the men interviewing her, and the honking cars drowning out their questions establishes Rita’s voice as powerful. Conversely, Malala does not require the support of her peers in order to spread her message, however her voice is amplified when she receives assistance from local and international media outlets. Malala speaks up ‘for [her] rights, for the rights of girls,’ because she believes it’s her ‘duty to do so,’ however ‘the more interviews [she] gave, the more support [they] received.’ This suggests that whilst it is Malala’s passion that drives her cause, she would not be able to have such a widespread impact without assistance. This demonstrates that while Yousafzai believes in an individual’s ability to make a difference if they’re passionate about an issue, Cole considers the power of unity paramount, even when individuals involved ‘don’t know if [they] care’ about the issue. Rita receives support from those like her, before the vote Rita appeals to ‘the working class, men and women.’ She continues this when telling Barbara ‘we’re working women and so are you.’ Through this increased support, Cole and Yousafzai indicate that Rita and Malala’s voices have been heard. Both texts argue that in order for a voice to be heard there needs to be an audience willing to hear it and reinforce it.

Both Malala and Rita’s voices are dismissed by those who wish to maintain the status quo, whilst many women’s voices are ignored because of their perceived ignorance. Whilst the fights Malala and Rita lead against inequality are on vastly different scales, both of them face opposition from those in power. In I am Malala both the Taliban and the government oppress women. Malala sees them as ‘a snake and a lion,’ indicating that she believes they are both responsible for the resistance she faces. Both the government in I am Malala and the Prime Minister in Made in Dagenham are ‘seemingly unaware’ of the scale of the issue. The Prime Minister dismisses Barbara, patronisingly saying that she is the ‘best man in his cabinet’. By calling her a ‘man’, Cole insinuates that it is only men who can be successful in government, whilst simultaneously dismissing the concerns of the women machinists. Through this Cole demonstrates the deeply embedded sexism that is present in society.  Whilst Ford and the Taliban also dismiss the threat of women, they are far more aggressive in their approach. Both Ford and the Taliban single out individuals through whom they believe they can stop the movements. Ford appeals to Monty’s selfishness, relying on him to control the machinists. This insinuates that they perceive the women to be subservient and easily controlled by men. The Taliban also appeal to selfishness however they do it through religion. Fazlullah persuades Pashtuns to give him their valuables and their sons, convincing them that ‘this would make god happy.’ When Malala refuses to give in to the Taliban way of life, they take direct action by attempting to kill her. Whilst this is intended to permanently silence her voice, she survives, and it results in her voice being far more powerful. Yousafzai and Cole show that it is not just individuals who can silence voices. They both also show how ignorance can cause messages to be overlooked, however they do this in different ways. In I am Malala women are forced to be ignorant, whereas in Made in Dagenham women are assumed to be ignorant regardless of whether they actually are. Lisa has a ‘first-class honours degree,’ however Mr. Hopkins overlooks this and assumes that she is ignorant because he sees her as belonging in a domestic role. After she speaks out he literally silences her by instructing her to do domestic chores. Fulfilling the role of a domestic servant also supresses Rita’s voice. Cole demonstrates this through changes in the camera angles used when filming Rita. At the beginning of the film, she is on level with the other women, however later, after she is given opportunities to step up for herself and go against societal expectations, she is filmed from above inspiring protests in other Ford factories. This indicates the change in her own confidence once she is able to leave the domestic sphere and therefore the change in her influence over others. Whilst Rita is presumed to have no voice, Malala’s voice is quashed by those in power.

The texts differ in their understanding of the power of individual voices versus the power of a voice supported by others. Rita’s voice is less powerful when she stands alone, however Malala’s becomes more prominent when she is singled out, allowing her to receive support from a wider audience. Cole signifies the importance of unity through contrasting scenes when Rita is speaking alone compared to when she is in a group. When confronting Mr. Clarke alone, Rita is belittled by Mr. Clarke who suggests that her son ‘can hardly look to [her] for guidance.’ However, after Rita receives the support of Lisa, who was similarly dismissed when alone, they are able to overcome Mr. Clarke. Sandra is willing to give up her fight for equal pay when she is offered a photoshoot, however she decides to continue fighting when she receives support from Rita. Cole uses this to demonstrate that it is easier to overpower one voice than multiple. The factory closing down due to the unanimous strike of the female machinists is what brings the strike to the attention of the head of Ford, indicating that it is ‘together [they] will be heard.’ Similarly, Malala’s campaign for girls’ education moves from a local fight to a global issue, which enables her to have a far greater impact. However, unlike Rita, Malala’s voice becomes far more powerful and far reaching after she is singled out by the Taliban and shot. Yousafzai demonstrates that a message can be more powerful when it comes from a single source through the media who spread Malala’s message as they wanted ‘to show the human side of the catastrophe.’ Whilst Malala is essential for the awareness of her campaign, it is this awareness that leads to significant change. Malala ‘learns how powerful’ speaking is and uses this to garner worldwide support for girls’ education. Through this, Yousafzai illustrates that ‘one child’ is enough to ‘change the world’, however similarly to Cole, also asserts the importance of having support.

Whilst Malala Yousafzai and Nigel Cole tell the story of vastly different struggles, they both emphasise the power of women’s voices when heard and the desire of those in power to silence them. They both question the ease with which society dismisses them, although for different reasons. Despite differences in their methods, they both indicate that unity is necessary for a successful campaign.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
Re: English Comparative text response - I am Malala/Made in Dagenham
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:27:15 pm »
+4
 :)

Edit: Re-uploaded due to errors/typos.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:05:59 pm by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »
Thank you X infinity ;D ;D

This is so, so helpful. I wasn’t really sure how to split up the paragraphs at the time and I like your idea wayyy better.

Thank you so much!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »
:)

Edit: Re-uploaded due to errors/typos.
Random posts, but hey...
On what was said about using "whilst" a lot...

I almost always use the word Concurrently as a synonym for this...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 06:44:09 pm »
+1
Random posts, but hey...
On what was said about using "whilst" a lot...

I almost always use the word Concurrently as a synonym for this...
I think the problem is that I use 'whilst' to mean 'concurrently' and 'although' haha

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:10 am »
+1
I'm not familiar with the film in your comparison but I think you could improve your vocabulary a bit. You use the word "support" many times and finding some synonyms could improve on this (e.g. "affirmation", "backing" from Rita's workmates). You also use the expression "for a voice to be heard" and "women's voices" and while it is important to stick with the essay topic, a bit of variation wouldn't hurt. You could clarify exactly what those phrases mean - "for innovative ideas to be recognised/acknowledged in the public domain" and terms like "influence" (maybe).