Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:07:38 am

Author Topic: Modern History Notes  (Read 2119 times)  Share 

scyouknow13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Modern History Notes
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »
+1
Hi!
In terms of your detailed table, how did you find all that information for your topics? In my school we are doing South Africa, Nelson Mandela and Conflict in Europe.
Also did you use quotes in the WWI section or not? My teacher always says its a bad idea to quote and we should save that for the other sections but a lot of people do it. In the table I saw a few quotes as well. Does it give you an advantage is it just as good as not having one?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Notes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »
Hi!
In terms of your detailed table, how did you find all that information for your topics? In my school we are doing South Africa, Nelson Mandela and Conflict in Europe.
Also did you use quotes in the WWI section or not? My teacher always says its a bad idea to quote and we should save that for the other sections but a lot of people do it. In the table I saw a few quotes as well. Does it give you an advantage is it just as good as not having one?

Hey! So I'm assuming you mean the detail table uploaded in the notes tab :) Majority of those stats came from these sources:
- The Key Features of Modern History textbook by Bruce Dennett and Stephen Dixon
- My own teachers worksheets (he had basically read every history book under the sun so a lot of the more "obscure" stats came from here)
- if I couldn't find that much detail on a particular dot point from the above two sources, I started doing my own online research :) Common websites included alphahistory.com and johndclare.net.

I very rarely used quotes during WW1. I included them within my detail table just in case, but I can't think of many cases where I actively used them in an exam (apart from the more "primary source" quotes. I used them frequently during my cross reference of content for reliability in the 10 mark source analysis). There are no sections where not using quotes is going to disadvantage you (markers would much rather see that you know your stuff rather than you can parrot historians), but yes, they are a nice addition to section II, III and IV that can boost the sophistication of your response.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:29:27 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!