Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:44:54 pm

Author Topic: Achieving at least a 30 SS in Chem?  (Read 845 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Achieving at least a 30 SS in Chem?
« on: May 11, 2020, 06:42:41 pm »
+1
Want to hear a true story? I did VCE Chemistry way back when with abysmal effect and low motivation for most of Unit 4. My SAC grades were not good at all and I was almost always under the average of my class. I still wound up with a SS in the 30s. (Side note: I now hold a minor in chemistry from uni.) Moral of the story is, it can be done.
For now, you need to ensure the rest gets better. Ask the teacher what you're doing wrong, pinpoint common mistakes, focus on areas you're uncomfortable with and continue to practise for exams (and correct them!). Most importantly, keep trying and don't give up. Good luck!

Sorry I am reviving this thread. I am unfortunately in the same situation and would appreciate it if you can share any tips as I am aiming for a 30+ study score in chem and want to put in minimal work (so I can focus on my other subjects)

Mod edit: split from 2 year old topic. Although it was talking about the same thing, next time just start your own new topic :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:47:26 pm by K888 »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Achieving at least a 30 SS in Chem?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:27 pm »
+4
Sorry I am reviving this thread. I am unfortunately in the same situation and would appreciate it if you can share any tips as I am aiming for a 30+ study score in chem and want to put in minimal work (so I can focus on my other subjects)

Mod edit: split from 2 year old topic. Although it was talking about the same thing, next time just start your own new topic :)
Do all the homework and PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORK.
Get a tutor if the worst comes to the worst or if you need additional help.
30 in chemistry scales up to about a 34 so try to be ranked in the top half of your class.
Avoid memorising huge chucks of information, but rather try to understand why the answer is what it is.
Just keep working hard!!!!!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:31 pm »
+9
Sorry I am reviving this thread. I am unfortunately in the same situation and would appreciate it if you can share any tips as I am aiming for a 30+ study score in chem
I’ll put this caveat in first: I did Chemistry U3/4 back in 2014. This was before most of the current study design was implemented. When I did it, your Unit 3 now was my Unit 4 back then. Then they removed and added a bunch of things so what I got taught is very different to what you’re learning now, so I don’t actually have any relevant tips for the current study design any more.

I am aiming for a 30+ study score in chem and want to put in minimal work (so I can focus on my other subjects)
I think it’s a big mistake to put in minimal effort in any one subject. Moreso, if you’re doing this in Year 12, because you don’t really know how it’s all going to work out in the end. What you think will be your worst subject might end up being your best. (Likewise, you don’t know what will contribute to your Top 4 and what won’t.) Instead, I’d recommend that you treat your subjects equally no matter your results. This actually helps you to do your best in all subjects and you’ll find that you get the most out of your subjects this way. :) (It’s also kind of the reason I was able to score as I did, since I never gave up on Chem and I never shoved it aside.)

That aside, here’s some general tips for chemistry:
- revisit concepts you don’t understand. Chemistry is all about building from the basics and a lack of foundation doesn’t bode well.
- regular revision of the formulas and concepts, as you would for any subject.
- review the dot points in the study design and do plenty of exam-style questions. Practise makes perfect after all. Reviewing the study design might be a good start given the recent changes.
- make sure you keep motivated and work on your SACs marks by going through your misconceptions, mistakes in previous SACs and practise questions, and trying to keep well in touch with your Chem teacher if something needs clarification. If you’re hoping to study something with Chem as a prerequisite, you can use this as motivation. (Prerequisites are often assumed knowledge or brushed over very quickly when you start your course, so if you don’t understand it now, when will you?)
- Try to also see how you can apply some of these concepts in real life, as I find these applications to be helpful for memory. Also, try mnemonics and acronyms if you’re stuck on content-heavy stuff e.g. galvanic cells - AN OIL RIG CAT. 

Hope that helps. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:59:06 pm »
+1
I’ll put this caveat in first: I did Chemistry U3/4 back in 2014. This was before most of the current study design was implemented. When I did it, your Unit 3 now was my Unit 4 back then. Then they removed and added a bunch of things so what I got taught is very different to what you’re learning now, so I don’t actually have any relevant tips for the current study design any more.
 I think it’s a big mistake to put in minimal effort in any one subject. Moreso, if you’re doing this in Year 12, because you don’t really know how it’s all going to work out in the end. What you think will be your worst subject might end up being your best. (Likewise, you don’t know what will contribute to your Top 4 and what won’t.) Instead, I’d recommend that you treat your subjects equally no matter your results. This actually helps you to do your best in all subjects and you’ll find that you get the most out of your subjects this way. :) (It’s also kind of the reason I was able to score as I did, since I never gave up on Chem and I never shoved it aside.)

That aside, here’s some general tips for chemistry:
- revisit concepts you don’t understand. Chemistry is all about building from the basics and a lack of foundation doesn’t bode well.
- regular revision of the formulas and concepts, as you would for any subject.
- review the dot points in the study design and do plenty of exam-style questions. Practise makes perfect after all. Reviewing the study design might be a good start given the recent changes.
- make sure you keep motivated and work on your SACs marks by going through your misconceptions, mistakes in previous SACs and practise questions, and trying to keep well in touch with your Chem teacher if something needs clarification. If you’re hoping to study something with Chem as a prerequisite, you can use this as motivation. (Prerequisites are often assumed knowledge or brushed over very quickly when you start your course, so if you don’t understand it now, when will you?)
- Try to also see how you can apply some of these concepts in real life, as I find these applications to be helpful for memory. Also, try mnemonics and acronyms if you’re stuck on content-heavy stuff e.g. galvanic cells - AN OIL RIG CAT. 

Hope that helps. :)
Second it