Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:25:17 am

Author Topic: Anyone want to study me for the mhs year 10 exam?  (Read 3995 times)  Share 

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Loading...
  • School Grad Year: 2018
Anyone want to study me for the mhs year 10 exam?
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:43 pm »
Hi guys :), I was just wondering if anyone can study me,to get me into mhs or suzzane cory year 10 exam through this website. I willing to give up my a lot of my time to get in.  8) I REALLY WANT TO GET IN. Please reply asap. Hope you guys had a nice hoiliday :) :D

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Re: Anyone want to study me for the mhs year 10 exam?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:08:00 pm »
+3
By " study me" is assume you mean tutor you?
I recommend enrolling in those Scholarship preparation courses that James An offer,although I didn't find them overly enjoyable they definitely get you used to the exam formats and difficulty itself. 

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:14:03 pm »
I haven't tried Hendersons myself, but a lot of my friends did and they said it was definitely worth the money!

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:33 pm »
I am currently during hendersons right now and yes i mean tutor me but through this website

cooldude123

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:50:42 pm »
+1
Doing things like extra-curriculars such as sports/music/volunteer work could be beneficial if you plan on going for MHS at year 10, as they look at not only your test results but also your written application and interview.
VCE Class of 2015

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »
I play footy for 2 years, i still have my house colour badge from primary school and i have some kumon medal

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:27:59 pm »
Hmm... uhh, perhaps start doing some volunteer work?

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 09:43:14 pm »
What sort of volunteer work?

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
Well you can do volunteer work at your local pharmacy perhaps... Anywhere really...

Maybe do the duke of Ed...

when you try for yr 10, they really are looking for students who are not just really smart, because they already have that. They want students who can contribute to the school through other means...

I know that the genius Hannibal got into MHS through yr 10 entry... Try PMing him if he doesn't mind. :) he can tell you what to do

Also have you considered JMSS? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:09:31 pm by chelonianlover »

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
I'm not going to try out for JMSS because its too far. Also how do i improve my verbal reasoning?

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 06:45:59 pm »
Hmm... try reading the other forums in this board, by pi. They might help.

Try improving your vocab. Umm, I guess just be able to sort words out. Umm... you need to have good strategies in terms of how you approach the questions. By that I mean, you should be able to convert the information they give you, really quickly in other means... say a venn diagram, notes... and be able to find the answer. This goes for questions like "if biss was boo... and boo was iss.. is biss, iss. (really simple, you'll get harder questions than this LOL) and the other similar kinds... 

Anyways, you could show that through:

biss = boo
boo=iss
therefore, biss=iss

however, dont write the whole word... just write enough so you understand... don't waste time... and this should be so you could 'read' the information easier. And for some questions, you can really do it all in your head.

They're kinda fun, I guess...

If you have a strategy/an approach for every question in the practice exam that will help. Sometimes, they put the same question. LOL

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »
i also need help in creative and persuasive writing.  Tips would be great.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:46 pm »
+2
i also need help in creative and persuasive writing.  Tips would be great.

This is fairly rudimentary: Re: How to write an analytical/creative essay in 15 mins?

As with most things, you get better with timed practice.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:19 am »
I'm trying to say this in the most respectful way possible Ahad, but I think you could improve your English a bit.. (Unless you are just typing fast on the forums, which is a different story).
If you struggle with English, I have a few tips that may help:
1) Read lots of books. Try to make sure these books are written with in a way that it will expand your vocabulary (what I do is open the book to a random page and then see if there is at least two words I don't understand or can't define). Make sure you are interested in the books, this will make the reading much more enjoyable - when I was nine I was reading about two books (~300 pages) per day. By doing so you will 'accidentally' become more fluent in writing (no, it won't happen in one day, it takes time,) and you will expand your vocabulary. The best thing to do while reading if you really want to take the learning experience as far as it will go is to have a dictionary beside that you can use to look up words you don't understand. Books I'd recommend are; The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown; The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling; The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini; Wild Cat Falling by Mudrooroo; The Harry Potter Series and finally the Percy Jackson series.
2) Make a list of words you'd like to learn or commonly mispell and put them up on your bathroom wall or something.
3) Try reading some of the high-scoring reponses on ATARNotes, although they may be a bit off topic and sat under different conditions than the MHS exam, they are still very fluent.
For math, I'd say practise is key and the more you do, the better.
Maybe try doing some intermediate past AMC papers (found here: http://ec-web.elthamcollege.vic.edu.au/snrlibrary/resources/subjects/maths/PastComps/maths.htm ) and try to understand the answers you got wrong and how you should have gone about solving the problems. Also, if you are bored and want to go really overbored with your math, it might be worth trying https://mathfights.com . Also just revise all the stuff you know so far.
But, as mentioned by other people on this thread, acedemia is not the only critria that is looked at during year ten MHS selections, so you are going to want to be a good all rounder. I'd suggest taking up an instrument, doing some volunteer work, taking a first-aid course (if that interests you), keeping up your football, doing other co-curricular subjects (i.e. chess, swimming, debating [which also help with reasoning and writing] and so on...), and, of course, volunteer work.
If you get to the interview stage, be prepared for they're questions (i.e. why do you want to come to MH? how will you help the school? what makes stand out from the next person?) also, try to be modest, polite and well dressed.
Finally, I'd recommend you make this a learning experience - take this as an opportunity to become better at academics, learn new skills, learn how to handle an interview and learn how to have fun at the same time.
Hope I helped :)

LoadedWithPotatoes

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:53:11 am »
Do you happen to play any music instruments? or be interested in the arts?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:55:28 am by LoadedWithPotatoes »