Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:48:01 pm

Author Topic: how do you actually get into medicine?  (Read 3039 times)  Share 

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
how do you actually get into medicine?
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:04:19 pm »
ok so
1. i'm new but i'm probably guessing there's so much stuff like this already
2. i'm in year 10 and i literally JUST learnt what VCE is (i still don't know that much)

like i know i want to get into medicine but my issue is is that i have no idea on how to get into med. i understand what the ucat is but to be more specific what sorts of degrees do melb and monash uni offer? i know i should probably research it myself but i'm really delayed and i'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me thanks
taking a break.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: how do you actually get into medicine?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »
+9
ok so
2. i'm in year 10 and i literally JUST learnt what VCE is (i still don't know that much)

like i know i want to get into medicine but my issue is is that i have no idea on how to get into med. i understand what the ucat is but to be more specific what sorts of degrees do melb and monash uni offer? i know i should probably research it myself but i'm really delayed and i'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me thanks

There's plenty out there to explain this for you, but it is a little confusing.

Undergraduate: only Monash in Victoria. Five year degree. Entry is based on UCAT, ATAR and an interview.

Post-graduate: Melbourne and Deakin in Victoria. Melbourne has prerequisites, Deakin does not. (Melbourne will have abolished their prereqs by the time you're in a position to apply). Entrance is based on GAMSAT, GPA (your scores at Uni, basically like your uni ATAR) and an interview. Monash also offers post-grad but cbf talking about it here because the way they do it is silly.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:26:58 pm »
+5
There's plenty out there to explain this for you, but it is a little confusing.

Undergraduate: only Monash in Victoria. Five year degree. Entry is based on UCAT, ATAR and an interview.

Post-graduate: Melbourne and Deakin in Victoria. Melbourne has prerequisites, Deakin does not. (Melbourne will have abolished their prereqs by the time you're in a position to apply). Entrance is based on GAMSAT, GPA (your scores at Uni, basically like your uni ATAR) and an interview. Monash also offers post-grad but cbf talking about it here because the way they do it is silly.

Hey

To further elaborate on what Vox said
You can study Bachelor of Biomedical Science ( biomedicine at Melbourne Uni  and a course usually taken for those heading towards medicine) or generally any other science/art/any course really  at numerous universities  and than undertake GAMSAT and apply for post - graduate medicine, assuming you also fulfil all pre req required ( so I would find out prerequisites for those courses in case you can't get into undergraduate medicine straight away)

Although if you achieve that perfect ATAR and UCAT there are plenty of universities across Australia that also offer medicine including;

1. The University of New Joint Medical Program (5 Castle/University of New years)
England (NSW)

2. University of New South Wales - Bachelor of Medical Studies and Doctor of Medicine (6 years)

3. University of Tasmania - Bachelor of Medical and Bachelor of Surgery (5 years)

4. Western Sydney University - Undergraduate Doctor of Medicine (5 years)

5. The University of Western Australia - Direct Pathway to Medicine and Dental Medicine

6. The University of Adelaide - Bachelor of Dental Surgery (5 years)
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (6 years) (40/40/20 – 20% UMAT weightage in previous years)

7. Curtin University (Perth) - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (5 years)

8. Monash University - Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (5 years)
(33/33/33 – 33% UMAT weightage in previous years)

Source  - https://atarnotes.com/note/lecture-slides-april-2019-22/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email&utm_term=email&utm_content=email&mc_cid=8f840a5b28&mc_eid=168272d826

I would also recommend checking out the
Atar Notes UCAT Guide and Getting into Medicine Study Guide which you can purchase from the online shop.

- I personally use this book for UCAT preparation ( I'm in year 11 ) and it also has general info if your keen on applying to medicine.

Anyways Good Luck and I'm sure you still got plenty of time to research on getting into medicine but  for now just make sure you take up Chemistry and Methods . . . Biology isn't necessary but would recommend it if you're applying to medicine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:50:30 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 06:56:42 pm »
+3
ok so

Hello!

I break down and explain the process of getting into undergraduate med in my guide. Here's the link: Cookiedream's Guide to Medical Entrance

The process can get really confusing - heck, I didn't even fully understand it until over halfway through Year 12. So don't stress too much about the pedantics at this moment and just try to get a general sense of what the process is like (vox nihili gave a good summary!). Focus on trying your best to do as well as you can!

Also yes, I highly recommend ATARNote's UCAT and Medicine Guide ;D (Link: UCAT Guide & Getting into Medicine)

Best of luck!!

- cookiedream
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !