Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:58:16 pm

Author Topic: Worlds of Upheaval Help  (Read 4396 times)  Share 

Partinus

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Worlds of Upheaval Help
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:33:36 am »
+2
Hey guys,

I'm new to ATARNotes, but was hoping I could get some help with my assessment. I have to write a mock academic paper "investigating the complex relationship between individuals and society during times of upheaval as represented in canonical literature." (1500 words)

So our prescribed text is Frankenstein or Metropolis - I'm doing Frankenstein. My thesis was going to be something along the lines of how worlds of upheaval in society can be corruptive for the individual. I was going to dicuss how the presence of intertextuality 'schools' the Monster. He is initially born 'good', but as society corrupts the Monster, he takes these texts as parable and discovers self e.g. Milton's 'Paradise Lost' - Monster believes he is Satan rather than Adam, wreaks destruction (also the power of language here). And then I was going to explore the whole moral debate underpinning the novel that Shelley instigates the reader in, the question of whether Victor or the monster is justified. I was also going to draw upon John Locke's 'Theory of Enlightenment' -- born good, but corrupted by society. I think my thesis is ok at this point, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated! - perhaps how I could extend it beyond just worlds of upheaval being corruptive for the individual? Or maybe another approach to Frankenstein?

We also have to pick two related texts, preferably of different forms. Does anyone have some good suggestions that they think could parallel these themes, or would pair nicely with Frankenstein?

Here are the requirements:
--- You are to establish a clear thesis about the potential of these texts to activate change in attitudes, perspectives and social circumstances through the experience of the individual and society.   
--- You must discuss how representing worlds of social and political change may challenge literary conventions and traditional societal values.
--- You must evaluate how texts represent shifting values, contexts and attitudes, and reconsider your own values and assumptions in relation to these representations.

Thanks so much! :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:53:13 am by Partinus »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Worlds of Upheaval Help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:19:41 am »
+4
Hey there,

Welcome to ATAR Notes!

I didn't do Extension English but from what you've written, I think your thesis sounds great. I like your comparison with Milton's Paradise Lost (I think this would be a great source) and your use of Locke's Theory of Enlightenment. I think it would be interesting to discuss how Frankenstein is essentially a Romantic's critique on the Enlightenment era since Shelley emphasises on the dangers of science and pursuit of knowledge, especially when since electricity was recently discovered during her time (we can see this through Victor and how the creation of the Monster caused him to retreat to the mountains). I think this would be good source to check out.

As for related texts, I think Milton's Paradise Lost would be a great parallel. If you are looking for more suggestions, Angelina and I have made some suggestions here.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW