Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:41 am

Author Topic: Literary Worlds - Questions  (Read 5731 times)  Share 

elania2171

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Literary Worlds - Questions
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:32:39 am »
+1
Hi!

Does anyone know where I can find practice questions for the extension 1 common module - literary worlds? I've found a few but really need more to practice before the exam next week...Are there any websites // does anyone have questions from their trial paper/exams?

@angewina_naguen did you have a document with questions like the Literary Mindscapes module by any chance?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:39:40 am by elania2171 »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Literary Worlds - Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:30 pm »
+5
Hi!

Does anyone know where I can find practice questions for the extension 1 common module - literary worlds? I've found a few but really need more to practice before the exam next week...Are there any websites // does anyone have questions from their trial paper/exams?

@angewina_naguen did you have a document with questions like the Literary Mindscapes module by any chance?

Thanks!
Hey there,

Here are a few practice questions other forum users have uploaded:

Literary Worlds: 1

Literary Mindscapes: 1

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:58:02 pm »
+5
Hi!

Thanks!

Hey, elania2171!

Olivia's provided some great links to some Literary Worlds resources already on the forum. I've generated another two sample questions below just to throw some spanners in the works. I hope they'll help with your study in lead up to the exam!

Literary Worlds Section I Sample Questions

Critical Response
"These before-and-after images had a synergistic effect, adding a fictitious wash to my memories of how the town used to be." Evaluate how the literary world in Text 1 reveals the complexities of memory and nostalgia. Make detailed reference to the statement and the provided extract. (25 marks)

A Walk to Kobe (Haruki Murakami)
Text 1- Short Story Extract
I strode on from Nishinomiya to Shukugawa. It was not yet noon, but sunny enough that, walking briskly, I started to perspire. I didn’t need a map to tell me roughly where I was, but I had no memory of the individual streets. I must have walked down these streets hundreds of times, but now I was drawing a complete blank. Why couldn’t I recall them? It was strange. I felt bewildered, as if I’d come home to find all the furniture replaced.

The reason was soon clear to me. Places that used to be empty lots weren’t empty any more, and places that hadn’t been empty now were – like photo negatives and positives replacing each other. In most cases the former were empty lots that were now residences, the latter where old houses had been destroyed in the earthquake. These before-and-after images had a synergistic effect, adding a fictitious wash to my memories of how the town used to be.

The old house I had lived in near Shukugawa was gone, replaced by a row of town houses. And the grounds of the nearby high school were filled with temporary housing put up for survivors of the quake. Where my friends and I used to play baseball, the people who lived in these prefab shelters had hung their laundry and futons out to air, in what now seemed like a tight, cramped space. Try as I might to find vestiges of the past, there were almost none. The water in the river still flowed as clean and pure as before, but it gave me an odd sensation to see how the riverbed was now neatly lined with concrete. The old house I had lived in near Shukugawa was gone, replaced by a row of town houses. And the grounds of the nearby high school were filled with temporary housing put up for survivors of the quake. Where my friends and I used to play baseball, the people who lived in these prefab shelters had hung their laundry and futons out to air, in what now seemed like a tight, cramped space. Try as I might to find vestiges of the past, there were almost none. The water in the river still flowed as clean and pure as before, but it gave me an odd sensation to see how the riverbed was now neatly lined with concrete.

I walked on for a while in the direction of the sea and stopped by a local sushi shop. It was a Sunday afternoon, and they were busy with takeout orders. The young assistant who’d gone out on deliveries didn’t come back for a long time, and the owner was hard-pressed to keep up with the phone calls. A typical scene you’d find anywhere in Japan. I waited for my order to come, sipping a beer and half watching the TV. The governor of Hyogo prefecture was talking with someone on a show about how post-quake reconstruction was going. I’m trying to remember now exactly what he said, but for the life of me can’t recall a single word.

Creative and Critical Response
(a) Compose a piece of imaginative writing in which uses Text 2 as a central idea. In your response, you should draw from your knowledge and understanding of how the construction of literary worlds are driven by imagination. (18 marks)

Juncture (Tommy Ingberg)
Text 2- Image

(b) Evaluate the effectiveness of TWO creative choices you have made in your writing in representing an imagined literary world. Explain how Text 2 and ONE of your prescribed texts informed your stylistic features. (7 marks)

Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:03:16 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

elania2171

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »
+1

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 03:58:32 pm »
+4
Hey, everyone!

Just thought I'd throw another one in here after rereading some Dickens this week  :)

Creative
Compose a piece of imaginative writing in which uses Text 3 as an opening. In your response, you should draw from your knowledge and understanding of literary worlds and must base your piece from at least TWO perspectives. (25 marks)

Hard Times (Charles Dickens)
Text 3- Novel Extract
It was a town of red brick, or of brick that would have been red if the smoke and ashes had allowed it; but as matters stood, it was a town of unnatural red and black … It had a black canal in it, and a river that ran purple with ill-smelling dye, and vast piles of building full of windows where there was a rattling and a trembling all day long, and where the piston of the steam-engine worked monotonously up and down, like the head of an elephant in a state of melancholy madness.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music