Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:49 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Rachel Corbett article?  (Read 7651 times)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Thoughts on the Rachel Corbett article?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
+1
About the article: I thought she wrote it with less than no tact, but has a lot of super relevant and accurate points, and I actually stand by it and think the outraged (and kinda childish) response just proves her point.

Sure, it's tough, and I'm a huge advocate of our need to support each other and look out for when it's honestly getting beyond us.

But we have to accept that it's just a part of life.  Everyone goes through it.  Lots of life is stressful and tough, that's what life is, uni and jobs and parenthood aren't going to be easier, we've just got to face up to it, learn to deal with it, and fight on.  Not gonna kill us [normally].  We're being kinda childish...  rather than just 'chin up' and deal with it, we expect sympathy for every single tiny first-world-problem, we expect a giant party for ourselves when we survive through one single maths test, we're behaving like victims who need wrapping up in cotton wool.  Challenges were meant to make us STRONGER, not to run away from or cry about... that only makes it worse.

I reckon we're saying bye-bye to resilience.

D'ya disagree?
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sunshinelollipops

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 10:35:28 am »
+1
As much as I disliked the way she went about it, attacking us like that, she did have somewhat of a point with the bullying and all that. But in previous years authors and composers who have been included in the HSC have laughed it off, none of them have taken THIS much offence to our banter! Like we all just need an outlet to destress and laugh off the joke that was paper 1 and 2.

This article from BuzzFeed just totally shuts her down: https://www.buzzfeed.com/laranavarro/australian-journalist-successfully-ticks-off-6000-2mxki?sub=4375666_9793482&utm_term=.urvrykPrne#.rwAVMAkVG3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 12:54:41 pm »
+3
About the article: I thought she wrote it with less than no tact, but has a lot of super relevant and accurate points, and I actually stand by it and think the outraged (and kinda childish) response just proves her point.

Personally, I would say that the article is what is childish.

The author has decided to use isolated expressions on social media; in a group meant to be just that, an expression of frustration and stress; and used it to characterise individuals. How dare she claim to know the ambitions, talents and qualities of individuals based on their interactions in a satirical online forum. I have no issues with her saying that she views the actions/commentary as immature; she is entitled to that opinion. And had she just said that I don't think it would have sparked the uproar it has.

The issue is statements like this:

If this kid ends up building an app that makes $30 billion, I give up.

This precise statement for me is what turned the article into a stupid opinion piece from someone who is clearly out of touch with how young people express themselves, to someone who is applying stereotypes and using isolated instances to claim the worth of that person. It's a really narrow minded piece, and it's really insensitive.

I was in the Discussion Group for my HSC. I posted a meme once, I think (though it didn't get many likes, I'm not very meme-ish). I liked the memes that poked a bit of fun at the situation, the group was a way to turn a tough situation into a laugh. Have a bit of a vent. So, I suppose I'm one of those people who needs to grow up, according to the author of the article. I'd love to show her the dozens of past papers I did in between liking those memes, all the hours I spent at my desk. The hard work I put in to succeed just like so many of the students in that group have.

Now don't get me wrong; posts that directly threaten or even suggest physical violence are totally not on. I don't disagree with some her points, nor some of your points on resilience Heidi. The thing is, it's clickbait journalism at its finest, she knows what she said and she knew what response she'd get. It has been blown out of proportion. That said, her sweeping statements and stereotypical judgements are not the right way to go about it, and they show that there are definitely HSC students in that group with more sensitivity, and more maturity, than she had when she wrote that article.

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »
+1
I have to admit coming out of English paper 2 and reading that article definitely made me mad and I would be lying if i said I didn't have thoughts like "how dare she" and "who does she think she is" running through my head (perhaps it was the fact that i still had the adrenaline of the exam running through my veins).

As a society and culture student I attempted my best to try to understand her opinion with as much of an unbiased view as I could muster and I do admit there were small pieces of sentences that I could pull out and semi-agree with however as a previous individual said, the title of the group page made it obvious to what it was about and for that reason, I concluded much like Jamon said that she perhaps knew the reaction she was going to get and that is precisely why she did it in the first place.

That being said part of me is also very confused about her motives. What could possibly make a 35 year old journalist who should have so many other things to report about want to specifically target a cohort of year 12 students? Surely there would be more important things to discuss and share then the misery and banter of a group of 17-18 year olds. As someone who makes a living through media you would think that she would want to counteract all the hate that goes on not add to it.

This article was just a dig. I think we should all just ignore it and move. we have had our fun will all the harmless memes but we shouldn't let it distract us from our own goals and achieving the best result that we can in these exam.
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »
This article was just a dig. I think we should all just ignore it and move. we have had our fun will all the harmless memes but we shouldn't let it distract us from our own goals and achieving the best result that we can in these exam.

Well spoken ;D

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 03:48:19 pm »
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2