Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:19 am

Author Topic: Advice to pass 1/2 methods SACS  (Read 2403 times)  Share 

Vosswater

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Advice to pass 1/2 methods SACS
« on: June 16, 2019, 09:10:48 pm »
I am really looking for advice on how you guys study or effectively learn a chapter. Because currently the whole class except myself and one other student failed the last sac and exam and it is obvious that it is my responsibility to develop a great understanding of the units. I was just hoping for some advice that would be great.
Thanks.

madison123

• Fresh Poster
Re: Advice to pass 1/2 methods SACS
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 03:15:11 pm »
+1
Hi!

I'm currently enrolled in 3-4 methods, but I can tell you I struggled in 1-2 as well, and am glad to say that after fixing my study habits and the way I approach methods, I've improved by heaps.

The first thing I can say is practice practice practice!! Methods, I've found, is less about knowing what a formula is (after all, you get a formula sheet on the exam!), but more about knowing how to apply formulas. In unit 3, the SAC is an application task, and unit 4 from what I've read and been told is a problem solving task and a modellin task. All of these, require you to use mathematical skills in a different context. Find any and all practice tests or exams for your SACs, or even ask your teacher! If you use edrolo at your school, do all the practice tests and questions on the lessons! They help a lot, and be sure to go through the solutions.

One other thing that I did was finding as many different resources as possible. My school uses the Jacaranda Maths Quest, which I find personally to be hard to understand, and typically assume that you know all of the pre knowledge to learning a new topic. I bought the Cambridge textbook for myself as I had heard from many that it was a far better resource, and in my opinion, they were right! Like I mentioned before, edrolo is really good as well, but if your school doesn't have edrolo, try mathsmethods.com, khan academy, or even just attending methods lectures. Understanding a topic properly will really help you do well in methods, especially as you come up to some more challenging topics in unit 2, or build upon skills in these topics in 3-4.

One more thing, not necessarily for your SACs, but MAKE YOUR BOUND REFERENCE EARLY!! There is nothing worse than rushing to make a boudn reference in the week before the exams (if your school does unit 1-2 exams)

I hope this helps!

Vosswater

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »
Thank you, this should help a lot, just wondering what is a bound reference?

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:02 am »
A bound reference is a resource that can contain any material of assistance during the exam. There can only be one bound reference, but it can consist of multiple resources. For example, textbooks, exercise books, school notes or notes from tutors (if any). I'm pretty sure that the reference will also have to A4 size or smaller. You can  ask others in this forum who have had experience doing VCE.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:48:11 am »
+2

Your bound reference is going to be your best friend! It must be A4 or smaller and there are certain requirements VCAA have listed on their website! You can't have tabs or anything that extends beyond an A4 size piece of paper so keep that in mind while constructing one! I would suggest making one as soon as possible (Ideally from your very first class!). It must be bounded (if you can remove papers from it easily, it doesn't count such as a binder).
Make your bound reference as concise as possible and only put stuff you are going to need on there. You could put past exam questions into it if you want! ;D
A contents page at the front of your bound reference will make it easy to navigate as you can't have tabs or anything sticking out!
This thing will be your lifeline if you forget anything!

redpanda83

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:19:58 pm »
Mathods can be a bit stressful, but ya know try to play around with the any concept. Try to see if do this what would happen. I myself just used to do random things and then try to see how it affected my equation or graph or instance. I used to play on desmos, and make like different shapes with graphs. I once made an ant head xD.
Bound references are good, but think of them just like summary notes. Its better to try to understand a concept, and just apply that knowledge.
Also just going crazy and doing random things to see how it effects.  like say how would a graph of x^3/5 looks like and how is its shape effected if change the power to 2/5 or 3/4. its all understanding and once you get it. it becomes logical.
Understanding is always better than memorising! if you understand it, you dont have to memorise it!
Kinda like, do you have to memorise what 2 times 3 =
hope it helps!
VCE 2017 - 2019  |  ATAR: 97.65
Further [43], Chemistry [42],Physics[41], Methods [41],Hindi[35], EAL [39]

UoM 2020 - 2025  |  Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering