Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:01 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84140 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2020, 06:11:37 pm »
+6
Opinions?

http://change.org/p/federal-and-state-ministers-for-education-australia-noatar2020-australia?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_21008131_en-AU%3Av3&recruiter=925445925&recruited_by_id=c1a5ebf0-08ff-11e9-9e4c-33a37c70198c&utm_source=share_pet
LMAO the guy who started that petition is the former principal of my high school and is a very adamant supporter of alternative entry to university and removing atars. Not surprised to see him using this opportunity to try and decrease focus on atar.

I think I'd be on the side of keeping atar but having unis make more alternative entry options & publicise them so that students have other options.

everyone is experiencing the effects of the coronavirus, the ATAR will still be 'accurate' as with previous years.
Coronavirus is not at all affecting people equally & it absolutely will disadvantage some people more e.g. people without internet, people who have sick/dying relatives or have to take extra measures to prevent relatives getting sick, etc. The question is whether seas can account for that exacerbation of disadvantage and that remains to be seen.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2020, 08:44:56 pm »
+5
I disagree with the proposal. Since the ATAR is a rank, and everyone is experiencing the effects of the coronavirus, the ATAR will still be 'accurate' as with previous years. The only barrier is SES, which exists without the virus, as Sine as already said. I think the maximum effect it will have on schools is up till term 2, anything further is unlikely at this point in time (although possible) so I still think students will be able to complete their exams. I think VCAA/other states might have to change a few things up regarding SACs, however, if schools are on lockdown for a prolonged period of time.
I agree too, I think everyone should just try to hang on 4-5 weeks and see how it goes. It may only last until term 2 (I HOPE IT DOES NOT GO LONGER). The only difference is that sacs might have to be done elsewhere or online. I think Vcaa should dump internal rankings and make the exam 100% does anyone else agree?

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2020, 10:54:27 pm »
+4
I agree too, I think everyone should just try to hang on 4-5 weeks and see how it goes. It may only last until term 2 (I HOPE IT DOES NOT GO LONGER). The only difference is that sacs might have to be done elsewhere or online. I think Vcaa should dump internal rankings and make the exam 100% does anyone else agree?
I highly doubt that VCAA would drop rankings and turn the exam to equate 100%. SACs have been done at home many times at online school like VSV. This has happened for MANY years, and whilst the ranking may be a little bit stuffed up due to someone giving themselves a little extra time, or peaking at their textbook, it still all comes down to skill, especially in subjective subjects like English. Not everyone well get the same score, so there will still be ranks. That's just my reasoning though. It will be interesting to see what they do though. Plus, if the exam was worth 100%, it would put so much stress on students, as well as the many folio subjects and arts, like PDT, food studies, ART, dance, theater studies etc that have their exam percentage worth so little due to having many practical assignments.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:02 pm »
+1
I highly doubt that VCAA would drop rankings and turn the exam to equate 100%. SACs have been done at home many times at online school like VSV. This has happened for MANY years, and whilst the ranking may be a little bit stuffed up due to someone giving themselves a little extra time, or peaking at their textbook, it still all comes down to skill, especially in subjective subjects like English. Not everyone well get the same score, so there will still be ranks. That's just my reasoning though. It will be interesting to see what they do though. Plus, if the exam was worth 100%, it would put so much stress on students, as well as the many folio subjects and arts, like PDT, food studies, ART, dance, theater studies etc that have their exam percentage worth so little due to having many practical assignments.
How does VSV do it online? Also does that mean that some students will cheat?
-Good thing English is skill based and therefore students cannot cheat by looking through notes etc. But for subjects like math/chemistry/commerce and history looking at notes can certainly help.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 01:59:04 am »
I have been thinking for the past week about VCAA lowering the aggregates for the ATARS. How likely would this be? What is everyone's thoughts on the situation and what do you think VCAA will enforce?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
+7
I have been thinking for the past week about VCAA lowering the aggregates for the ATARS. How likely would this be? What is everyone's thoughts on the situation and what do you think VCAA will enforce?
What would that change though?
ATARs would be inflated and thus ATARs required for entry into university would be inflated? That would do nothing except maybe have students feel a little bit better about themselves when ATARs come out.

Also, this would just completely change the definition of what an ATAR is.

Geoo

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2020, 07:29:24 pm »
+13
Daniel Andrews just announced that VCE will most likely be extended into December or early 2021.He said that we most likely wouldn't do exams in 2021, but that our ATARs could possibly be released then due to a delayed exam season.
Still no news on the GAT.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 05:44:32 pm »
+5
Local school principal announced that schools would be open as students of essential workers, and vulnerable kids need somewhere to go (same as the thing with childcare's reopening). Don't know if it was an official statement to parents or to teachers (parents are teachers) and not sure whether that's her speculation or what she's been told by a higher up.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 05:56:37 pm »
+5
^^^ Probably fairly accurate -  I've seen people dropping similar hints over the last few days.

VTAC has made an announcement and has a new tab on their wesbite dedicated to this - they're determined to make sure everyone gets an ATAR, and fairly.

I'd say that we should get an offical announcement in the next 2 ish days about whether schools will be officially opening next week. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:58:57 pm by ArtyDreams »

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 06:15:55 pm »
+4
Local school principal announced that schools would be open as students of essential workers, and vulnerable kids need somewhere to go (same as the thing with childcare's reopening). Don't know if it was an official statement to parents or to teachers (parents are teachers) and not sure whether that's her speculation or what she's been told by a higher up.

Even if that information is accurate, that may not mean that regular classes will be occurring. Rather, there may just be a few members of staff attending school to supervise (as opposed to teach) any students who need to be there, because staying at home is not an option.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2020, 07:16:14 am »
+5
Just wanted to leave this article here. There’s been more talks about Year 12s, ATARs and exams in the news. Hopefully you guys get some solid answers to a lot of the questions and uncertainties in this thread soon.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2020, 08:41:33 am »
+6
Personally not a huge fan of scrapping exams. Relying on teachers' sacs and assignments is just a huge no no. I can already think of a million things that are wrong with that. Difficulty of the SACs given and the marking, the SAC itself, they're all different across all schools. I can tell you from my school that teachers are almost always never accurate and the thought of my ATAR being reliant on them just stresses me out. I never thought twice to stress about the inaccuracies of my school due to the exam which kind of levels out the playing field.

The GAT, based on my experience, is not that great at determining study scores... my GAT scores last year were absolutely horrendous and I can only imagine what study score I would have gotten if they based it off of such. Yes this time calls for uncertainty and mental strain but cancelling exams will just deepen the inequality that this virus has already caused.

What do you guys think of shortening the study design and cutting out some chunks of it for the lost time? Some of my teachers have talked about this prior to the shutdown and want to hear your thoughts on it.
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Geoo

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2020, 08:56:00 am »
+10
The GAT is being moved to October/November.
The exams are being moved to December.
The Atars will most likely be released at January.
If this is not possible, then GAT, SACs, and year 11 marks will be used for a derived ATAR as a last resort. (Plan B)
SAC will be reduced for all students.
Exam period may be shortened.
Exams themselves may be shortened.
There will be laptops given out to households who don't have one, and we are being told schools will open next Wednesday, however if you can stay home and do remote learning you should.

THERE will be an ATAR, and there won't be year 13.

Just announced from the premier and education minister.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:07:45 am by Geoo »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2020, 09:53:43 am »
+6
If this is not possible, then GAT, SACs, and year 11 marks will be used for a derived ATAR as a last resort. (Plan B)

Year 11 marks??? As a person who did quite poorly in year 11 due to lack of effort, I would be completely horrified by this.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:24 am »
Personally not a huge fan of scrapping exams. Relying on teachers' sacs and assignments is just a huge no no. I can already think of a million things that are wrong with that. Difficulty of the SACs given and the marking, the SAC itself, they're all different across all schools. I can tell you from my school that teachers are almost always never accurate and the thought of my ATAR being reliant on them just stresses me out. I never thought twice to stress about the inaccuracies of my school due to the exam which kind of levels out the playing field.

The GAT, based on my experience, is not that great at determining study scores... my GAT scores last year were absolutely horrendous and I can only imagine what study score I would have gotten if they based it off of such. Yes this time calls for uncertainty and mental strain but cancelling exams will just deepen the inequality that this virus has already caused.

What do you guys think of shortening the study design and cutting out some chunks of it for the lost time? Some of my teachers have talked about this prior to the shutdown and want to hear your thoughts on it.
HELL NO TO TEACHERS JUDGEMENT AND HELL NO TO USING GATS. Hell yeah to moving exams tho, cuz I can cope well with extra time. Lol I am freaking out right now, cuz so much uncertainty. Teachers can be quite bias (not saying that to scare people) and favour some students over others so therefore I too can think of millions of things that can go wrong with this. What I nominate is maybe scrapping 1 sac and making the other sac worth half the study score or majority of the study score. Than the exam the rest of the study score. I think shortening the study design is a great idea especially for methods.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:05:24 am by Stormbreaker-X »