Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:25:00 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 81025 times)

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +35
Re: VCE Biology Exam - 01/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2019, 09:45:01 pm »
would it be fine to say with the ethical or social factor in the Zika virus question that hunting of animals could be one, since it involves touching the animal?
2019 (Goals) ATAR: 93.00
Physics [44] Chemistry [40] Biology [40] English [35] Methods [25]

dev_xy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
think about that exam score, clearly an A+ which only 10% of the state get. Do u really think that equates to a 28-31?

didn't think... I'm just saying based on a friend of mine she got similar rank and ended up getting B+ but got 28 raw. If you think he can get 40+ with the prediction... he can boast then that's cool, doesn't bother me!!!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2019, 09:55:27 pm »
would it be fine to say with the ethical or social factor in the Zika virus question that hunting of animals could be one, since it involves touching the animal?
Yep. Anything that fits under ethical or social and involves coming into contact with animals should be fine.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2019, 08:19:15 am »
+1
think about that exam score, clearly an A+ which only 10% of the state get. Do u really think that equates to a 28-31?
I believe that this was an incorrect prediction as a person's exam results can drastically affect their overall score. It depends year by year, but a B+ on the exam typically places them much lower on the scale than a person with an A+ - just keep Phoenixx's prediction in mind as a more accurate guess and try not to stress. :)

Also, a general reminder for all in the thread to not double post. Edit your original post and add to it if you have extra information and nobody has replied.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2019, 11:33:29 am »
For the question about steps in fossilisation... I kind of panicked and stated the build up of sedimentary layers allows hard Boney parts to be preserved... Which isn't relevant. I included all other appropriate info based on the question. Will I still receive any marks?
I kind of did the same tho I said after sediment it is covered by snow, so I hope it i get a mark. Also adding on if you said there needed to be lack of scavengers is that fine (there could be snow wolves or anything)?

what if I wrote for the genetic mutations in couples question that the ethical issue was data maybe not be secure, is that fine? and for the social, I wrote the couple may decide not to have kid leading to them becoming unhappy? is that fine?

mod edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:21:03 pm by Bri MT »
2019 (Goals) ATAR: 93.00
Physics [44] Chemistry [40] Biology [40] English [35] Methods [25]

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2019, 12:58:01 pm »
+2
For the question about steps in fossilisation... I kind of panicked and stated the build up of sedimentary layers allows hard Boney parts to be preserved... Which isn't relevant. I included all other appropriate info based on the question. Will I still receive any marks?
You won't lose marks for incorrect answers in vce. You'll still get marks if your other parts were correct.
what if I wrote for the genetic mutations in couples question that the ethical issue was data maybe not be secure, is that fine? and for the social, I wrote the couple may decide not to have kid leading to them becoming unhappy? is that fine?
The first one should be fine, the second one will depend on what they consider a social issue - choosing not to have a kid/alternative methods of having children should count but I'm not sure if they'll accept your justification as a social issue (I reckon you'd probably get the mark for it though).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:39:25 pm by PhoenixxFire »

PandaBio1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2019, 01:00:09 pm »
For 2b, I wrote that both NADPH and ATP act as energy carriers, and that NADPH transfers the Hydrogen, would the first part be accepted?

Also does anyone have the marks for each question? Trying to work out an estimated percentage but unsure of what each question is worth

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
+3
For 2b, I wrote that both NADPH and ATP act as energy carriers, and that NADPH transfers the Hydrogen, would the first part be accepted?

Also does anyone have the marks for each question? Trying to work out an estimated percentage but unsure of what each question is worth
Yeah calling them energy carriers should be fine.
marks
1) 4 marks
a. 2
b. 2
2) 5 marks
ai. 1
aii. 2
b. 2
3) 7 marks
a. 2
b. 2
c. 1
d. 2
4) 6 marks
a. 2
b. 2
c. 2
5) 6 marks
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
6) 9 marks
ai. 1
aii. 1
b. 2
c. 2
di. 1
dii. 2
7) 7 marks
a. 2
b. 1
c. 4
8) 9 marks
a. 1
b. 3
c. 3
d. 2
9) 9 marks
a. 1
b. 3
c. 2
d. 3
10) 7 marks
a. 2
b. 2
c. 3
11) 11 marks
a. 2
b. 2
c. 3
d. 2
e. 2

ghfjdjsnncncgf

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2019, 07:33:22 pm »
+1
For MC 37
(The question showed a graph and asked what a benefit of Bt corn is.)
couldn't the answer also be Bt cotton cost less as less herbicide was used? Plz help

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2019, 08:46:40 pm »
+2
For MC 37
(The question showed a graph and asked what a benefit of Bt corn is.)
couldn't the answer also be Bt cotton cost less as less herbicide was used? Plz help
The question asks us to use the graph as well as knowledge from the course to determine which statement is correct.
While we can tell (from the graph) that there would be less herbicide costs for Bt corn (as Bt corn is associated with lower herbicide use) - we, however, don't know how much it costs to buy the Bt seed compared to the non-Bt (or anyother related costs). As such, we cannot say that Bt corn costs less than non-Bt corn.
The only valid statement is that negative impacts on the environment will be reduced (since Bt corn is associated with lower herbicide use shown in the graph)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

ghfjdjsnncncgf

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2019, 09:04:59 pm »
The question asks us to use the graph as well as knowledge from the course to determine which statement is correct.
While we can tell (from the graph) that there would be less herbicide costs for Bt corn (as Bt corn is associated with lower herbicide use) - we, however, don't know how much it costs to buy the Bt seed compared to the non-Bt (or anyother related costs). As such, we cannot say that Bt corn costs less than non-Bt corn.
The only valid statement is that negative impacts on the environment will be reduced (since Bt corn is associated with lower herbicide use shown in the graph)

I see we you are coming from, but negative impact on the environment can also be increased from using Bt corn (as a super weed could be formed and a reduction in genetic diversity in the Bt corn population would occur)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2019, 09:21:04 pm »
+2
I see we you are coming from, but negative impact on the environment can also be increased from using Bt corn (as a super weed could be formed and a reduction in genetic diversity in the Bt corn population would occur)
There's no indication of this in the graph though. All the graph says is that as Bt corn is used more, herbicide is used less. The only option that definitely will happen as a result of less herbicide is less damage to the environment from that herbicide. It's possible that costs will also decrease, but you don't have enough information in the graph to conclude that they will decrease.

ghfjdjsnncncgf

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2019, 08:59:21 am »
There's no indication of this in the graph though. All the graph says is that as Bt corn is used more, herbicide is used less. The only option that definitely will happen as a result of less herbicide is less damage to the environment from that herbicide. It's possible that costs will also decrease, but you don't have enough information in the graph to conclude that they will decrease.

the graph also doesn't have enough information to conclude that the use of Bt corn will decrease environmental impact

ghfjdjsnncncgf

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
is there a chance VCAA will accept both answers as the graph does not support either answer

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2019, 09:32:18 am »
+3
the graph also doesn't have enough information to conclude that the use of Bt corn will decrease environmental impact
The questions says to use the information in the graph and your knowledge from the course to choose a valid statement.
The course does specify that we need to know a bit about the use of genetically modified crops are used in agriculture which one could intepreate as involving knowledge that GMOs can reduce pesticide/herbicide usage which has a positive impact on the environment. While I can't find this specific bit of content being assesed previously, It does seem to fit within the study design.
As such, using the graph to confirm that Bt crops reduce herbicide use, we can conclude that negative environmental impacts will be reduced due to a reduced use of herbicides/pesticides
On the otherhand, the study design does not make any reference to Bt crops specifically, so there would be no expectation to know how much they specifically cost compared to regular costs, thus you cannot conclude that Bt crops cost less to produce than regular crops.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point