Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:08:41 pm

Author Topic: Conflict in the Pacific  (Read 4002 times)  Share 

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Conflict in the Pacific
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
+2
Sometimes I wonder if our school is the only school that studies this option....  ;D
Does anyone else have trouble finding information on this topic?
I've had a lotta trouble getting my head round this...maybe i'm the only one....but anyway, I thought I'd start this chat to get those of us who do this topic together!!
Please help out by loading any useful information on here, and asking/answering questions! :) :)

This is one cool site i've found.... http://ww2history.com/experts/Akira_Iriye/The_Start_of_Japan_s_war

Cheers!   :)

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
Re: Conflict in the Pacific
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:04 pm »
+2
Hey! :) I can't believe I'm only seeing this thread now... and I agree that it's kinda hard to find resources :-/

Personally I haven't been searching for many sites, though, because our teacher gave us a lot of sheets. I still found some helpful sources outside of class like a Netflix documentary called 'Hiroshima: BBC History of World War II' which outlines the events leading up to the dropping of the A-bomb pretty clearly. Somebody also uploaded a video of Bruce Dennett's lecture from this year's HSC lectures at USYD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ic53IChHE. The lecture goes over some pretty interesting aspects of the conflict that I've found are seldom addressed in textbooks, like the importance of racial prejudice (and I was also at the lecture in the second row, just close enough to get try eardrums blown out by Dennett's passionate words of wisdom ;) )

Hope these are helpful!
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »
And maybe I should mention, just in case since a couple students in my class were heavily mislead by this mistake: the film Pearl Harbour shouldn't even be considered as a source for reliable information... it's also just a bad movie imo... But yeah, anyone hoping to get an idea about how the real Pearl Harbour went down should never turn to Ben Affleck for help  :-X
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:53:41 am »
The lecture goes over some pretty interesting aspects of the conflict that I've found are seldom addressed in textbooks, like the importance of racial prejudice (and I was also at the lecture in the second row, just close enough to get try eardrums blown out by Dennett's passionate words of wisdom ;) )

That lecture was awesome!
I found that bit about racial prejudice, and the fact that it was on both sides, really really interesting.
I was in the second or third row....i was probably sitting less than a couple of metres away from you!! Absolutely loved both his lectures! (Speer as well)

Thanks for those videos, i'll check em out!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
+2
Don't have much to add other than...

Dennett <3
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

flashguts321

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cranbrook
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
Hi there,

I know you shouldn't place too much emphasis on predictions, but does anyone have any predictions for this topic? Have prepared some essay scaffolds but not sure of the more likely questions.

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:38:30 pm »
Hi there,

I know you shouldn't place too much emphasis on predictions, but does anyone have any predictions for this topic? Have prepared some essay scaffolds but not sure of the more likely questions.

I can't believe I just found this thread now, I thought my school was the only one that did this topic! Honestly it could be on anything, I'm stumpped as well. They haven't tested Allied strategies so there's a good chance for that. I really hope they don't do the last dot point because its just gonna be the biggest effort to talk about the bomb. Also maybe life under occupation. I literally have no idea what their gonna throw (especially after paper 2 ) so I'm in the exact same boat. I hate this topic with a vengeanceeeeee

All the best!

samsclaire

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:03:47 am »
for the Allied strategies, do we need to know the casualty numbers? they're really hard for me to remember (for the right island, lol). does anyone have notes on the last section of the topic, since my teacher didn’t give us much?