Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:45 am

Author Topic: Unimelb & Monash  (Read 1012 times)  Share 

Fluffball

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Unimelb & Monash
« on: June 23, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
hi everyone! i'm currently doing bachelor of science at melb but i'm thinking of switching to do IT or commerce (or both). Just wondering whether i should stay at melb uni and change my subjects to be more IT based in my science course or if i should switch to complete Bachelor of IT (or do a double degree of Commerce/IT) at monash?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Unimelb & Monash
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:06:38 pm »
+2
I think you first need to decide which one you want: commerce or IT. They are two completely separate disciplines.

Investigate both options and come to a decision. If you still want to do both after looking into it, go with the double degree.
A specific degree would be more beneficial in my opinion as it is discipline-specific rather than a generalist degree such as Science. However, given you're already in a BSc I would say unless your majors do not match your future direction, stay.

You have to be sure that you want to study both disciplines before engaging in a double degree. Financially it would not make sense to do both unless you have a vision for both.

What are you current major(s) in your BSc? Switching unis will impact you financially as well as the duration of the course - you won't get credit for everything you've done if you move. You might get partial credits but that will be it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:08:30 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Fluffball

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:00:06 pm »
I think you first need to decide which one you want: commerce or IT. They are two completely separate disciplines.

Investigate both options and come to a decision. If you still want to do both after looking into it, go with the double degree.
A specific degree would be more beneficial in my opinion as it is discipline-specific rather than a generalist degree such as Science. However, given you're already in a BSc I would say unless your majors do not match your future direction, stay.

You have to be sure that you want to study both disciplines before engaging in a double degree. Financially it would not make sense to do both unless you have a vision for both.

What are you current major(s) in your BSc? Switching unis will impact you financially as well as the duration of the course - you won't get credit for everything you've done if you move. You might get partial credits but that will be it.

Good luck.

hey aaron thanks for answering! I'm in my first year right now and just completed the first semester. I'm considering doing something outside of the bio/chem/psych field because i realised that maybe these subjects just weren't for me.
Next semester, i'm thinking of picking up an IT subject instead of chemistry and a commerce subject as my breadth in order to help me determine whether i should ultimately switch out of science (and to see whether i like both IT and Commerce or one over the other). Do you think doing this is a waste (especially financially) and therefore i should just stick to the bio/chem side since they are recommended subjects for the science degree, or do you think this is a good idea?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:06:12 pm »
+2
hey aaron thanks for answering! I'm in my first year right now and just completed the first semester. I'm considering doing something outside of the bio/chem/psych field because i realised that maybe these subjects just weren't for me.
Next semester, i'm thinking of picking up an IT subject instead of chemistry and a commerce subject as my breadth in order to help me determine whether i should ultimately switch out of science (and to see whether i like both IT and Commerce or one over the other). Do you think doing this is a waste (especially financially) and therefore i should just stick to the bio/chem side since they are recommended subjects for the science degree, or do you think this is a good idea?
Not Aaron, but I’m a BSci graduate.

I agree with what Aaron has said and your plan to take ‘trial’ IT and commerce units. I’m a big believer in studying what you enjoy, but also making realistic decisions, so I’d be more inclined to see if you like IT and/or commerce first before committing on a full transfer. If you think this is worth the shot (financially and time-wise), then by all means, take the chance.

I agree also with what Aaron’s said in terms of transferring. If you decide that IT and/or Commerce is more for you (and is likely where your future direction will be), attempt for transfer. Beyond financial cost, there might also be a time cost (especially if you decide on a double degree, as some units will not count towards it) and some units might be out of sequence depending on credit transfer or when you eventually transfer. These are relatively minor things if you’re adamant about a career in these directions, but I wanted to spell out everything clearly.

tl;dr: I like your plan :) , but just be careful of any downsides to it.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread