Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:15:20 am

Author Topic: Research or biomed engineering  (Read 851 times)  Share 

J.B

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Research or biomed engineering
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:13:14 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering if any one has any thoughts on this:

I can't decide between doing biomedical engineering, or an advanced science degree with major in some form of medical field to then have a degree in medical research.
I love biology and I love maths, but I prefer the biology side of things and I'm not sure if I will like the engineering side of things or not.
But then with the medical research I wouldn't be using as much maths.
I've also heard that it's hard to get jobs in medical research, and you have to do a phd to be successful but even then it's hard to get grants.
If I go into biomedical engineering I think I would like to go into tissue engineering. But if I do biomedical engineering there are things that I would not have the opportunity to research such as Gut microbiota or genomics.

Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Research or biomed engineering
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:03:15 am »
+2
Hey,  have you looked at bioinformatics or biostatistics? One of them may also interest you :) 

Keep in mind that you don't need to know which way you are going to go now, and that actually seem to have a better idea than most people. If you did end up doing biomedical science and then changing your mind or vice versa I strongly suspect the skills you learnt could still provide credit and help you in your chosen study so seriously- don't stress :)

Have you looked at the course outlines to see what specifically you would be studying?
The application of maths and tech to biology seems to be a big area at the moment, so if you pick a medical research path learning extra math stuff in your electives may give you an edge?

Good luck with your decision :)   
If you do choose biomedical engineering let me know because that's what I'm planning on studying