Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:08:10 am

Author Topic: What subjects should I drop for HSC???  (Read 6549 times)

bigro27

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What subjects should I drop for HSC???
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:01 pm »
Hi guys,

So I'm at a school that ranks roughly 150ish and my goal is an ATAR of 95. I currently do 13 units, and am unsure whether to drop Business Studies or Modern History(Don't want more than 11 units). I enjoy Modern SLIGHTLY more than Business but am pretty much guaranteed to retain my first placed rank in Business Studies throughout the HSC considering my competition in the subject. I also don't know if doing Ext Maths will help my ATAR or just waste my time where I'd be better off just spending that time working on 10 units. My ranks are as follows:

English Adv: 5/68
Economics: 1/25
Business Studies: 1/62
Modern History: 2/29
Maths Adv: 4/71
Maths Ext: 5/24
Studies of Religion II: 1/59

Thanks in Advance
HSC 2018 - Economics  Business Studies   English Advanced   Mathematics   Studies of Religion II - ATAR AIM: 99+

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
Re: What subjects should I drop for HSC???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:29:56 pm »
Wow ! You're in the exact same position as me!

I actually initially chose your subjects however some of my subjects clashed on the lines so I got Legal Studies instead of Business Studies which has made it so much harder for me. I too feel as though Extension Math is a waste of time but it is important to note that an 80% in 3u is already an E4 (the highest band). This is where all my distress arises from as I can easily attain a 90% in other subjects but definitely not 3u no matter how much time I spend on it.

My ranks right now are:
Eng Adv: rank 3
Math Adv: rank 15
Math Ext: 6
SOR1: 9
Eco: 1/24
Legal: 29
Modern: 2
(Our ranks are very similar! Let me know what atar you end up getting!)

Also, it is important to consider what you will be doing at university.

Overall, modern history is FAR more harder than business and I have heard it scales well but if you feel as though you can easily maintain your rank 1 in business then I say go for it!

HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:33 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

So I'm at a school that ranks roughly 150ish and my goal is an ATAR of 95. I currently do 13 units, and am unsure whether to drop Business Studies or Modern History(Don't want more than 11 units). I enjoy Modern SLIGHTLY more than Business but am pretty much guaranteed to retain my first placed rank in Business Studies throughout the HSC considering my competition in the subject. I also don't know if doing Ext Maths will help my ATAR or just waste my time where I'd be better off just spending that time working on 10 units.

i am slightly biased about modern being better than business... take what i'm about to say with a grain of salt 😂

judging from the ranks you've provided, being second in modern is still great! although i do get where you're coming from about maintaining first place in another subject. think about this: would you rather suffer in a subject that's not as enjoyable, or do a subject that's more enjoyable but have a slightly lower rank? business remains as dry as the sahara desert in hsc, but modern gets heaps better.

as for 3u maths, if you'd rather do 10 units, do it. dropping just one unit of maths frees up so much time. i'm not going to advise you on taking scaling into account with your subjects, because in my mind, if you do well, you do well, regardless of scaling.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

bigro27

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:13:13 pm »
Wow ! You're in the exact same position as me!

I actually initially chose your subjects however some of my subjects clashed on the lines so I got Legal Studies instead of Business Studies which has made it so much harder for me. I too feel as though Extension Math is a waste of time but it is important to note that an 80% in 3u is already an E4 (the highest band). This is where all my distress arises from as I can easily attain a 90% in other subjects but definitely not 3u no matter how much time I spend on it.

My ranks right now are:
Eng Adv: rank 3
Math Adv: rank 15
Math Ext: 6
SOR1: 9
Eco: 1/24
Legal: 29
Modern: 2
(Our ranks are very similar! Let me know what atar you end up getting!)

Also, it is important to consider what you will be doing at university.

Overall, modern history is FAR more harder than business and I have heard it scales well but if you feel as though you can easily maintain your rank 1 in business then I say go for it!

Hey that's pretty cool, we are kinda doing the same subjects. I've set up a meeting with my head of teaching so I'll see what he says. Out of curiosity what does Ur school generally rank and whats ur atar goal?
HSC 2018 - Economics  Business Studies   English Advanced   Mathematics   Studies of Religion II - ATAR AIM: 99+

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:44 pm »
Hey that's pretty cool, we are kinda doing the same subjects. I've set up a meeting with my head of teaching so I'll see what he says. Out of curiosity what does Ur school generally rank and whats ur atar goal?

Hey! So my school generally ranks 60 ish... it's not that great but each year we do get 20+ that get over 98 so it's decent. My atar goal is around 98 tbh! Yea I definitely want to go down to 10 units I feel like I would be but also feel a lot more organised !
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »
+1
Hey! So my school generally ranks 60 ish... it's not that great but each year we do get 20+ that get over 98 so it's decent. My atar goal is around 98 tbh! Yea I definitely want to go down to 10 units I feel like I would be but also feel a lot more organised !
20!? I'm not sure where you're from, but that's a pretty damn good school than many I know of. At my school, just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill Catholic school in the suburbs, I think we had about 3 people with 98> ATARs; that was one of our best years too!

2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »
20!? I'm not sure where you're from, but that's a pretty damn good school than many I know of. At my school, just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill Catholic school in the suburbs, I think we had about 3 people with 98> ATARs; that was one of our best years too!

Yea to be fair it's because my school has discovered the beauty of tutors! haha literally at least 30 people have 1+ tutors for subjects! it's ridiculous because our school fees are already so pricy but it definitely is working (sometimes teachers just don't make the cut). I know without eco tutoring and math I would be ridiculously behind !

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 11:11:20 pm »
+3

At my time at my old school, only two or three people scored 98+ in the whole time I was there, and I was one of them!! ;D

Yea to be fair it's because my school has discovered the beauty of tutors! haha literally at least 30 people have 1+ tutors for subjects! it's ridiculous because our school fees are already so pricy but it definitely is working (sometimes teachers just don't make the cut). I know without eco tutoring and math I would be ridiculously behind !

See the culture difference is incredible, no one in my grade had tutors (like, obviously blanket statement but it would absolutely be a tiny minority, I was in the 'academic crowd' and none of us had tutors). Even now, in my suburb, finding a tutor is next to impossible (I turn away so many students). Nuts how different it is in different parts of Sydney...

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:30:48 pm »

lol wow 20+, we get like 5 or so and we're rank 50 ish, weird.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

So I'm at a school that ranks roughly 150ish and my goal is an ATAR of 95. I currently do 13 units, and am unsure whether to drop Business Studies or Modern History(Don't want more than 11 units). I enjoy Modern SLIGHTLY more than Business but am pretty much guaranteed to retain my first placed rank in Business Studies throughout the HSC considering my competition in the subject. I also don't know if doing Ext Maths will help my ATAR or just waste my time where I'd be better off just spending that time working on 10 units. My ranks are as follows:

English Adv: 5/68
Economics: 1/25
Business Studies: 1/62
Modern History: 2/29
Maths Adv: 4/71
Maths Ext: 5/24
Studies of Religion II: 1/59

Thanks in Advance

Hi.

I'm assuming you're in prelim as myself. Ranks don't really matter as such in the grand scheme of things. You need to weigh up what you enjoy more and let that be your determiner. Modern history is by far one of my favourite subjects, and, considering you do economics (i do eco as well - it's the best!), the course goes into much more depth than business studies. As one of the teachers at my school wisely said, "The HSC is a game, and you need to play it right." You need to come to a real decision of what you think you will find more interesting and will engage you throughout year 12 - a good way to determine this is by looking at the syllabus and seeing the content you will be covering - as for modern, ask your teacher what units/electives you will be studying.

I'm dropping down to 11 units next year (currently doing 13), and will be undertaking...
4u eng, modern, history extension, legal, eco.
2018 HSC:
3U English, Modern History, History Extension, Legal Studies, Economics.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »
+1
Heyo, fellow prelimer and Ext Math taker here!

I am ofc biased towards Modern History because its just so darn interesting but it also depends what you'd like to pursue in life. If you want to do a degree maybe Business Studies and Economics would  better? I'm not sure since my school doesn't even offer Economics ahah.

And @ conversation about school ATARs WOW! My school's only ever had one person hit the 98 mark! Last year our top was 94 and we were hella happy for him too, since its high for our school. We're ranked more in the ~300ish mark, usually a little less and usually we're sketchy year groups with a few pulling the rest up.

And about Extension math, I looked at your rank and wow, it seems you're hella good at it! I know you shouldn't do subjects you don't enjoy (which is why I'm dropping ranked 2 or 3 out of 12) and my teacher's been hesitant in letting me drop because it is true it does wonders for your ATAR if you're good at it. But don't keep it if it's going to drag you down okay! I've been tempted to drop math altogether sometimes.

Good luck with your prelims! Hope you get all the marks you deserve and more
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

adibh092

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:59 pm »
Hi. I am now in Year 12, having just completed Preliminary last term, and I am in a quandary similar to you. Over the past year, I have gone in a cycle of my subjects on what I should drop. My subjects are as follows:

Advanced English
Mathematics
Extension 1 Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics

However, with the ability of dropping a subject being upcoming in a few weeks, I have chosen on whether or not I should drop Business Studies or Chemistry. I possess marks higher in Business Studies than in Chemistry. However, Chemistry scales higher than Business Studies, but being a South-East Asian (Bengali), my parents (specifically my father) wish for me to be an engineer, and I want to be a corporate lawyer.

Could anyone please offer me guidance upon this dilemma bestowed upon me?

Savas_P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »

wow you guys are lucky, my school has had nada

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:20 pm »
+2
In terms of the buisness vs modern dialemma, it's better to drop the one you like the least. Not only do your year 11 rankings get scrapped and you have to start again, but also if you enjoy it there's no reason why you can't ace it. I dropped the subject I was coming 1st in (during HSC year cause I dropped REALLY late) because I hated it, and was coming 2nd in my fave subject, but since dropping the one I was aceing I was able to use the extra time to come first in my favourite subject. So the moral of the story is don't worry about preliminary rankings or scaling, just do what you like because you'll be more driven and do better in the HSC, and if you do well then scaling dosent even matter anyway.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--