Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:13:07 pm

Author Topic: Should I drop Business?  (Read 1129 times)

pakmanjames

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop Business?
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:12:30 pm »
+1
Hey guys! It's almost trials and I'm stressing a lot at the moment. I'm doing 12 units at the moment, and I was wondering whether I should drop business. In terms of the course, I don't find myself enjoying it too much, but I am doing decently in it. At the moment, my BOS mark is at 74, which isn't great, but in terms of ranking I'd say I'm around 12/53 or so. This thought came because of the half yearlies, where I was stuck with having both Math ext 1 and business on the same day, but chose to neglect business in order to study maths, as I saw that as a priority. So for that exam, having not put much time into it except the whole course revision I did in the first two weeks or so of that term (half yearly was in week 5 or 6), I got around a 64-66% or so, which I wasn't too happy about, but was expecting. Since receiving that result back, I found out that I was ranked 20th, and since then I haven't really picked up a business book to revise anything, so my notes are only around a bit less than halfway in Operations (in the order of finance, operations, marketing, HR). The marketing assessment I managed to get 17/20 for, but that was due to the assessment being open book (one side page of A4 notes) as well as my friend who provided me with the notes to copy down. I don't really remember too much from what I have studied, and from what we've done up to this point my knowledge is pretty blurred (basically need to revise the whole course) and the trials are in 1 and a half weeks. I still need to do a massive amount of revision for all of my subjects, and putting business into that would make it very difficult to manage. Most of my teachers that I've spoken to suggest that I wait until after trials to decide, since my business mark is decent. My business teacher personally estimates that I can get within the band 5 range for the course. I'm aiming for a 92 ATAR if possible.

My subjects and marks/ranks at the moment stand at:
IPT: 2nd/13 (89-90%) Getting another mark back shortly.
Maths 2u: (16/34? for rank) (83% or so before this last assess, got pretty bad 69% in my last one so rank might be lower)
Maths 3u: (10/21 before last assess, but got below average for it so slightly lower)
Eng Adv: (Worst subject; 38/55 for rank before two assessments ago) Averaging 14/20 for my essays. Getting another mark back shortly.
Physics: (for purely my assess before last was tied 11/23 at 83%) Before this my overall rank was around 14th. Getting another mark back tomorrow for our most recent task.
Business: As above
SOR 1: (19/53 at half yearly, last assess would have changed it positively, as I got above average with 75%)

At this point, looking at my mark distribution, 92 ATAR looks distant. I'm putting the most time at the moment coming up to trials into English, Maths (2u and 3u) and Physics. Sorry if this post is really long and confusing. I can clarify anything if needed!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:14:07 pm by pakmanjames »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Should I drop Business?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »
+2
Hey! Welcome to the forums!!

It's a tough decision you face here. This close to Trials though, I'd be leaning towards keeping the course. Purely because like, you are right at the end of the year. Not long to go, even if you aren't able to put as many hours into Business as you want to, at least it is there as a backup! Then in the lead up to the HSC you can build back up, smash the exam, and perhaps add another Band 5 (or maybe Band 6) to push closer to that 92 ATAR.

How you structure study aside, I reckon keeping Business is a smart choice :)

(PS - 92 ATAR is definitely within reach for you if you push!)

pakmanjames

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:32:07 pm »
+1
Hey! Welcome to the forums!!

It's a tough decision you face here. This close to Trials though, I'd be leaning towards keeping the course. Purely because like, you are right at the end of the year. Not long to go, even if you aren't able to put as many hours into Business as you want to, at least it is there as a backup! Then in the lead up to the HSC you can build back up, smash the exam, and perhaps add another Band 5 (or maybe Band 6) to push closer to that 92 ATAR.

How you structure study aside, I reckon keeping Business is a smart choice :)

(PS - 92 ATAR is definitely within reach for you if you push!)
Thanks! I'm just a little scared because, like I said, I don't really remember much of the course, and it's on the same day as Physics (2nd week Tuesday). Personally, I'm leaning towards dropping it but the mark is stopping me. If I were to keep it, are there any strategies or amount of time that you could suggest to break my study up to account for the amount of Business I need to do as well as all my other subjects?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:16:48 pm »
+1
Thanks! I'm just a little scared because, like I said, I don't really remember much of the course, and it's on the same day as Physics (2nd week Tuesday). Personally, I'm leaning towards dropping it but the mark is stopping me. If I were to keep it, are there any strategies or amount of time that you could suggest to break my study up to account for the amount of Business I need to do as well as all my other subjects?

I definitely see where you are coming from! My thinking is like, even if you bomb your Trial exam a bit, it's still handy having Business in the back pocket just in case! You never know ;D

Here's a guide on allocating your study time!

bronwoolbank

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:41:08 pm »
I was inredibly psyschotic and did the commerce trifecta (Yep thats right, business, legal and economics all crammed into a sea of essays). You however, In accordance with the great idea of a 'safety net' Jamon has mentioned, have a very good array of subjects. Earlier in year 11 i went to a lecture at a HSC expo from an ex VCE student. The most valued piece of information i took from that was to break up your study into two subjects a day with alternate needs for both . So instead of studying a science and a science on the same day, it might be helpful to study a science and a humanity , to give your brain a differential in interest if you get bored with one of the things you are studying and a rest from being so specific subject heavy. I would 100% recommed this ,  In your case it might be as simple as linking up business and physics , as they are VERY different subjects into your study timetable. Keep business for the sole purpose of keeping yourself sane !! hehehhe . Enjoy !! :) :)
HSC 2017 - Legal Studies, Economics, Extension One Mathematics, Mathematics, Advanced English, Studies of Religion 1. USYD Wannabe