Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:39:55 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231828 times)

hscstudnet

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4590 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:47 pm »
+1
Hey there,
I am having so much trouble understanding this HSC question.

"Everything is being dismantled, reconstructed, recycled. To what end? For what purpose?"

To what extent is this statement true of the texts you have studied in this module?
In your response, make close reference to the pair of prescribed texts that you have studied in Module A.

Many of you may notice this is the 2019 HSC exam question but I legit cannot get my head around it. My Module A texts are Sylvia Plath Ariel and Ted Hughes Birthday Letters. Can you please tell me what this question means and give me examples reference to my related texts. Also if you could explain me the part To what end? and For what purpose?. If you have already done your HSC and did Sylvia Plath please let me know how you tackled it.
Thanks.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4591 on: March 10, 2020, 11:36:21 pm »
+2
Hey there,
I am having so much trouble understanding this HSC question.

"Everything is being dismantled, reconstructed, recycled. To what end? For what purpose?"

To what extent is this statement true of the texts you have studied in this module?
In your response, make close reference to the pair of prescribed texts that you have studied in Module A.

Many of you may notice this is the 2019 HSC exam question but I legit cannot get my head around it. My Module A texts are Sylvia Plath Ariel and Ted Hughes Birthday Letters. Can you please tell me what this question means and give me examples reference to my related texts. Also if you could explain me the part To what end? and For what purpose?. If you have already done your HSC and did Sylvia Plath please let me know how you tackled it.
Thanks.

Hey, hscstudnet!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Great to see you're having a go at past papers  :) I did my HSC in 2018 but this is how I would've approached the question  ;D

The really tricky part about this question is the statement which may throw a lot of people off. What it essentially is asking is whether texts continue to be re-written for new contexts and audiences (in which your answer will depend on how you wish to argue it). As you have studied in Module A, Plath and Hughes engage deeply with intertextuality, resulting in these "textual conversations" emerging. Your essay response to this question would need to explore to what extent the key ideas and perspectives in Plath's poetry have been dismantled (destabilised/challenged/broken down), reconstructed (rewritten or reimagined) and recycled (reused with a new function) by Hughes in his poetry.

The questions of the statement are also a bit off-putting but they are also getting you to think about how much exactly does Hughes choose to engage with Plath's Ariel and for what reason/motive he has for either reframing her narratives or completely opposing them. If we were to look at Daddy and A Picture of Otto, you can see how Plath subtly denounces Hughes for being unable to meet her expectations of a true masculine figure, contrasting with Hughes' interpretation of this idealism rooting from the trauma of losing her father and, therefore, setting unrealistic standards on him to meet having no significant male guiding her in life. In this example, Plath's experience and narrative has been dismantled, reconstructed and recycled by Hughes to introduce a different take on Otto and his influence on the destabilisation of their marriage (and, in turn, Hughes' representation in her poetry). Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

hscstudnet

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4592 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:02 am »
+1
Hey, hscstudnet!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Great to see you're having a go at past papers  :) I did my HSC in 2018 but this is how I would've approached the question  ;D

The really tricky part about this question is the statement which may throw a lot of people off. What it essentially is asking is whether texts continue to be re-written for new contexts and audiences (in which your answer will depend on how you wish to argue it). As you have studied in Module A, Plath and Hughes engage deeply with intertextuality, resulting in these "textual conversations" emerging. Your essay response to this question would need to explore to what extent the key ideas and perspectives in Plath's poetry have been dismantled (destabilised/challenged/broken down), reconstructed (rewritten or reimagined) and recycled (reused with a new function) by Hughes in his poetry.

The questions of the statement are also a bit off-putting but they are also getting you to think about how much exactly does Hughes choose to engage with Plath's Ariel and for what reason/motive he has for either reframing her narratives or completely opposing them. If we were to look at Daddy and A Picture of Otto, you can see how Plath subtly denounces Hughes for being unable to meet her expectations of a true masculine figure, contrasting with Hughes' interpretation of this idealism rooting from the trauma of losing her father and, therefore, setting unrealistic standards on him to meet having no significant male guiding her in life. In this example, Plath's experience and narrative has been dismantled, reconstructed and recycled by Hughes to introduce a different take on Otto and his influence on the destabilisation of their marriage (and, in turn, Hughes' representation in her poetry). Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks so much Angelina you have explained it very nicely and I think I am confident. You are so much better than my teacher or any tutor I have ever been to!!! Again thank you so much.

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #4593 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:08 am »
Hi everyone! Would anyone be so sweet as to help me out with this essay question?

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. To what extent does this quote reflect your understandings of the conversation between Looking for Richard and Richard III?

The two main ideas my teacher has discussed with us in class are: Characterisation of Richard and textual form. I'm not too sure how to use the textual form idea for this essay, since it specifies the theme of power. Textual form being Shakespeare's didactisim and Pacino's postmodernist approach.

I would appreciate anything! Thanks :)
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4594 on: March 24, 2020, 11:47:28 pm »
+1
Hi everyone! Would anyone be so sweet as to help me out with this essay question?

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. To what extent does this quote reflect your understandings of the conversation between Looking for Richard and Richard III?

The two main ideas my teacher has discussed with us in class are: Characterisation of Richard and textual form. I'm not too sure how to use the textual form idea for this essay, since it specifies the theme of power. Textual form being Shakespeare's didactisim and Pacino's postmodernist approach.

I would appreciate anything! Thanks :)

Hey, alice343!

You could interpret the use of textual form as an exercise of power in itself! Shakespeare mobilises the theatre medium to explore royalty and the conflicts within it to caution us as audiences, in his own power as a playwright, to ensure that who we support as our leaders are just and rational. What Pacino does is similarly use the docudrama as a vehicle for propagating Richard III's messages and is granted the power to construct his own performance of the play  :) This is an incredibly metafictive way of interpreting the text but it would work really effectively if you went ahead with it. Let me know if you have any further questions and hope this response isn't too delayed!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #4595 on: March 29, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »
+1
Hey, alice343!

You could interpret the use of textual form as an exercise of power in itself! Shakespeare mobilises the theatre medium to explore royalty and the conflicts within it to caution us as audiences, in his own power as a playwright, to ensure that who we support as our leaders are just and rational. What Pacino does is similarly use the docudrama as a vehicle for propagating Richard III's messages and is granted the power to construct his own performance of the play  :) This is an incredibly metafictive way of interpreting the text but it would work really effectively if you went ahead with it. Let me know if you have any further questions and hope this response isn't too delayed!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you Angelina! My teacher said that's how he would approach the question.
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

twelftholmes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4596 on: March 31, 2020, 05:25:11 pm »
hey! my question is..

how do you structure Module C notes???
Since this module is different to the others I'm not sure the best way, I can't really use technique and effect tables. Also I'm not sure what to include... context, themes, characters, setting...??? What I do understand is that we have to incorporate an author's style into our own writing, but I'm not sure how to structure my notes to make sure I can do that. I don't want to include unnessecary things bc I already have a problem with condensing things haha..

Also for the exam we should make sure to practice a lot on all four text types yeah? (persuasive, discursive, informative, creative)

Thanks for any help!! Also I am doing the Awakening by Kate Chopin and Spotty-Handed Villainesses by Margaret Atwood.
HSC 2020: English Advanced [71], Maths Adv [74]+ Ext [21], Physics [80], Ancient History [79], Business Studies [67]
ATAR: 68.50

round 2!!
HSC 2021: eng adv, math adv, physics, ancient history

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4597 on: April 01, 2020, 10:56:04 am »
How do texts transcend time and become relevant to a 21st century audience?
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4598 on: April 01, 2020, 02:39:49 pm »
+2
hey! my question is..

how do you structure Module C notes???
Since this module is different to the others I'm not sure the best way, I can't really use technique and effect tables. Also I'm not sure what to include... context, themes, characters, setting...??? What I do understand is that we have to incorporate an author's style into our own writing, but I'm not sure how to structure my notes to make sure I can do that. I don't want to include unnessecary things bc I already have a problem with condensing things haha..

Also for the exam we should make sure to practice a lot on all four text types yeah? (persuasive, discursive, informative, creative)

Thanks for any help!! Also I am doing the Awakening by Kate Chopin and Spotty-Handed Villainesses by Margaret Atwood.

Hey, twelftholmes!

Great question! For Module C, you can still construct a table but you'll be doing it for your own composition! How I would structure it would be Prescribed Text Influence, Quotes (from your composition), Techniques, Effect, Audience. Under exam conditions, you might change things up here and there but you can definitely prepare some lines or sentences to use regardless of what stimulus you get and use them in your reflection should you get asked on it. You could even divide that further by including all the greater language forms and features. I've illustrated it below to hopefully show what I mean better  :)

It would definitely be ideal to practise all four text types but I highly doubt they will specify one (I think they'll at least give you the option between two). My advice would be to have one central idea and translating them to these different forms. For example, you could explore the challenges of disability through a persuasive speech, a discursive TED-Talk script, an informative report or through a story. This would save you from having four different plots and can really allow you to focus your research into one area.

Hope that helps!

How do texts transcend time and become relevant to a 21st century audience?

And hey, Einstein_Reborn_97!

This question is a bit vague since you haven't given me a real module to work with but if you're referring to Module A, you would look at the way texts are reimagined (acknowledge the changes made in form, characters, plot etc.) to perhaps be more accessible for audiences like ours. You should then also highlight the values both texts share to as they can be considered ones that have transcended time (otherwise, we wouldn't still be studying them) and continuing relevance to our society. Essentially, you would be able to justify how texts can have ongoing value by drawing parallels between the context of the original composer and the one who appropriates their text.

If you're referring to Module B, then you have a slightly different approach :) In the Critical Study of Literature module, your aim is to find out just that! Do you think texts transcend time because they communicate significant values? Is it in their skilful use of textual form? Or perhaps it lies in their compelling characters? I would argue that it lies in all of those aspects working in harmony together to create an integrated whole (or what NESA calls textual integrity). When texts are able to take key ideas from our world and represent them, they will definitely continue to generate reception from a variety of audiences. Let me know if that answers your question!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4599 on: April 01, 2020, 04:53:57 pm »
And hey, Einstein_Reborn_97!

This question is a bit vague since you haven't given me a real module to work with but if you're referring to Module A, you would look at the way texts are reimagined (acknowledge the changes made in form, characters, plot etc.) to perhaps be more accessible for audiences like ours. You should then also highlight the values both texts share to as they can be considered ones that have transcended time (otherwise, we wouldn't still be studying them) and continuing relevance to our society. Essentially, you would be able to justify how texts can have ongoing value by drawing parallels between the context of the original composer and the one who appropriates their text.

If you're referring to Module B, then you have a slightly different approach :) In the Critical Study of Literature module, your aim is to find out just that! Do you think texts transcend time because they communicate significant values? Is it in their skilful use of textual form? Or perhaps it lies in their compelling characters? I would argue that it lies in all of those aspects working in harmony together to create an integrated whole (or what NESA calls textual integrity). When texts are able to take key ideas from our world and represent them, they will definitely continue to generate reception from a variety of audiences. Let me know if that answers your question!

Angelina  ;D
Thanks for this great answer! It really helps. My question was based on Module A and I'm doing The Tempest/Hag-seed. I'm sure the Mod B answer will come in handy later. Thanks.  ;)
So I have this question..."Atwood's 'Hag-Seed' reminds us that Shakespeare's plays have transcended time. To what extent has Atwood ensured that The Tempest transcends time and is relevant to a 21st century audience?"
In my response, would I then just talk about how Atwood has changed the form (from play to novel), the setting (from island to prison), the characters (e.g. Caliban as a single character in The Tempest to the collective group of prisoners in Hag-Seed), etc., and also discuss resonant themes between both texts such as the impact of revenge and the value of freedom? And how would I go about comparing both texts in relation to context?...would I discuss how different contexts can result in different composers providing their commentary on the same thematic concerns? Thanks for all your help already!  :)
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4600 on: April 02, 2020, 01:12:17 pm »
+3
Thanks for this great answer! It really helps. My question was based on Module A and I'm doing The Tempest/Hag-seed. I'm sure the Mod B answer will come in handy later. Thanks.  ;)
So I have this question..."Atwood's 'Hag-Seed' reminds us that Shakespeare's plays have transcended time. To what extent has Atwood ensured that The Tempest transcends time and is relevant to a 21st century audience?"
In my response, would I then just talk about how Atwood has changed the form (from play to novel), the setting (from island to prison), the characters (e.g. Caliban as a single character in The Tempest to the collective group of prisoners in Hag-Seed), etc., and also discuss resonant themes between both texts such as the impact of revenge and the value of freedom? And how would I go about comparing both texts in relation to context?...would I discuss how different contexts can result in different composers providing their commentary on the same thematic concerns? Thanks for all your help already!  :)

Hey again!

That's exactly how I would go about it. I would structure the essay using the themes as the commonalities between the texts and then allow the discussion of their differences to emerge within the bodies. You would definitely need to examine the contexts of both composers and consider how their circumstances influenced their representations to fulfil their purpose and appeal to their targetted audiences. The ultimate aim is to show that while their contexts differ and there are changes made in Atwood's appropriation of The Tempest, they explore themes that are universally important and transcend time as a result. Hope that helps and good luck with the assessment!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:15:29 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

twelftholmes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4601 on: April 06, 2020, 12:23:32 pm »
+1
thank you so much for your reply, that definitely clears it up!
HSC 2020: English Advanced [71], Maths Adv [74]+ Ext [21], Physics [80], Ancient History [79], Business Studies [67]
ATAR: 68.50

round 2!!
HSC 2021: eng adv, math adv, physics, ancient history

zkaislsi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4602 on: April 06, 2020, 12:29:23 pm »
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with starting an introduction for an essay in module A on Hagseed and The Tempest. Im planning on looking at Miranda's resonant and dissonant values between both texts.

Atwood’s purpose in Hag-seed is to illuminate Shakespeare’s resonant and dissonant values. How does Atwood appropriate other characters from The Tempest in order to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4603 on: April 08, 2020, 12:54:42 pm »
+2
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with starting an introduction for an essay in module A on Hagseed and The Tempest. Im planning on looking at Miranda's resonant and dissonant values between both texts.

Atwood’s purpose in Hag-seed is to illuminate Shakespeare’s resonant and dissonant values. How does Atwood appropriate other characters from The Tempest in order to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Hey, zkaislsi!

I would address in your introduction how the pair of texts have both shared and differing values explored of which is done to create a combined appreciation of both The Tempest and Hag-Seed. You could talk about characterisation as being the main means in which this is achieved by Atwood and how parallel characters have been adapted and reimagined in her novel to suit a contemporary context. Ultimately, this is done to illuminate Shakespeare's play as one of value and importance in the 21st century because there are ideas that still persist over time and are worth examining through a modern lens like ours.

That being said, the introduction is always the hardest part to write so perhaps if you're struggling, you could try writing your body paragraphs first instead? Since you know how you're planning to approach the essay, I would definitely recommend writing the bodies first and coming back to the introduction later on once you have a clearer vision of your judgement. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4604 on: April 14, 2020, 06:05:08 pm »
Afternoon,

Wondering what are peoples views of the first sentence of paragraphs:
should they mention texts or should they be conceptually focused essay rather than text focused!

Anyones views or comments re. what their teachers/tutors have said would be great!
getting really confused!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths