Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:16:02 am

Author Topic: Am i screwed?  (Read 882 times)

Aviator_13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Am i screwed?
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:56 pm »
So im in Year 12 and i feel like absolute shit right now. Im doing really badly in English Advanced. We have done 3 out of the 4 tasks for this year and im doing incredibly bad. In my half yearly report my course mark was 57/100 and I've done really badly in my third test...i think Ive actually failed. Do i have any hope left for getting a band 5 in English or even a high band 4. I really want to work hard for my trials and HSC and i think i can do better. English is just so hard i dont know what to do anymore.

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Re: Am i screwed?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »
+4
So im in Year 12 and i feel like absolute shit right now. Im doing really badly in English Advanced. We have done 3 out of the 4 tasks for this year and im doing incredibly bad. In my half yearly report my course mark was 57/100 and I've done really badly in my third test...i think Ive actually failed. Do i have any hope left for getting a band 5 in English or even a high band 4. I really want to work hard for my trials and HSC and i think i can do better. English is just so hard i dont know what to do anymore.

Hey! The key thing with HSC is you need to bounce back from a bad result. You won't affect your score with one, two or even three bad results. Remember all the scores you have received right now is only a portion of your 50% internal mark, and you are really working for your rank within your cohort rather than an exact mark. You can definitely pick up your mark in your externals (they even round up!) so don't give up! You trials will play a much bigger part for your internal score (which is really just a rank), so try and fix up your essays before then and get teachers or others in your cohort to review it. With the external exams, its a team effort so as long as your entire cohort stays motivated and achieves good scores in the final exam, your internal mark shouldn't affect your overall mark negatively.

Best of luck and keep at it!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »
Your definitely not screwed. You still have both trials and the HSC (which is worth 50%). For me, I hated English and just passed my trials but worked my way up to a high band 4 (77%) in English for the HSC. :)

If you have any questions about English or want help with essays feel free to post them on the forums for feedback/help!

Hope this helps!!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:30:49 pm »
+1
I did VCE rather than HSC so I don't know any of the specifics with exam vs in class assessment weightings but I'd assume it's somewhat similar to our system... and in that case, if it makes you feel any better, I did a lot worse in every English in-class assessment/SAC than I expected (and had done in previous years) and was absolutely convinced my study score would be terrible. It ended up being one of my strongest subjects (and my ranking within the cohort improved a lot also); if you can manage a good score for your remaining tasks and most importantly, the exam, then improving your score significantly is 100% possible.
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash