Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:09:11 am

Author Topic: Are there 'bad' reasons to do a university degree?  (Read 579 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Are there 'bad' reasons to do a university degree?
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:09:02 pm »
+4
I graduated from high school last year, currently six weeks into my first year at uni, and I am no clearer on the path I will take over the next five years or so. I'm not at all clear about what I am going to do after uni; I don't even know if I will finish my current degree as I am wanting to transfer to Arts at Melbourne at the next opportunity. My reasoning behind it is to keep my options open whilst also exploring some areas of interest. Is it worth committing to university when the only reason I am there is because a) it seems logical that it would be the next step after high school and b) I am just trying to figure out what I like and dislike?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Are there 'bad' reasons to do a university degree?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:08:46 pm »
+10
I think just going to uni because people want you to isn't a great reason if it's your only reason to go to uni.

There's no problem if you don't quite know what your future will look like. I don't think most people know what their future will look like even after their first year of uni!

I don't think there's a problem with you trying different stuff to find what interests you, though :) it's quite normal to have to try a couple of things before you settle on what you like