Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 01:23:40 am

Author Topic: SIMPLE STEPS FOR ESSAY STRUCTURES AND SHORT ANSWER STRUCTURE  (Read 847 times)

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
SIMPLE STEPS FOR ESSAY STRUCTURES AND SHORT ANSWER STRUCTURE
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:10:20 am »
+8
Hi Everyone i just finished HSC 2018 AND I WOULD LIKE TO SAY thank you so much to ATARNOTES for helping me for feedback in my essays and etc.
So i would want to give back and give you this (what i used in 2018 hsc adv english):

Steps for Short Answer Section of Paper 1
1 mark    Answer the question in one statement using the words from the question and by providing ONE quote and ONE technique. However, if the question only asks for ONE quote or ONE technique or ONE theme/idea/concept, ONLY provide what the question asks for.
2 - 4 marks    Topic sentence which rehashes the question and lists the techniques being analysed. The number of techniques used will be determined by the number of marks the question is worth.

One analytical statement per technique. “Firstly, through the use of *technique*, in the *quote*, it can be seen that the composer represents discovery to be….” “Furthermore, through the *technique* in *quote* it is also suggested that….”

Concluding statement that provides a link between your analysis and the discovery rubric.
5 mark question   Mini Essay
Introduction: two statements
-   One statement that answers the question by linking it to the rubric.
-   Second statement that introduces the texts you will be analysing
Body Paragraph 1 (text 1)
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Body Paragraph 2 (text 2).
-   Topic sentence that lists the techniques we will be analysing – 2 techniques.
-   Analysis statement 1
-   Analysis statement 2
-   Link to the rubric
-   Link to the question
Conclusion
-   One statement that reinforces the truth of what was stated in the introduction.

-   What if the question is worth 6 marks? – add one more
-   What if the question asks for 1 text only? Analyse the start and end.

Annotated Reading
Text 1 – Photograph and Quote.
-   “through an analysis of the interplay between the written and  visual text”
-   Family and relationships   this text has something to do with us discovering ourselves through our relationships with others
o   Salient image of the family
o   Father in the background smiling as he stands behind his children who are represented in the foreground
o   Close positioning indicates a sense of connection.
o   Symbolism of the eski suggests that the family is camping….that connectiosn to others are strengthened through shared experience.
-   Metaphor: “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others”
-   Enlarged font size: “delight”  emphasises the enriching qualities of connections to others. 
-   Use of the second person pronoun “ourselves” suggests a direct address being made to the reader.
Select TWO aspects of the text and explore how it reflects notions of individual discovery.

1.   Through an analysis of the written and visual elements in ‘Text 1’ a deeper understanding of individual discovery emerges.
2.   Within the written text, Smith employs a metaphor in “love is but the discovery of ourselves in others” to suggest that a deeper understanding of personal identity emerges from the construction of strong and meaningful relationships with others – particularly our family. The intentional enlargement of the font size of the word ‘delight’ helps the responder discover the extent to which strong relationships can have far reaching and transformative impacts on individual identity.
3.   Within the visual text, salience as well as the positioning of the father in the background and the children in close proximity in the foreground, reinforce the fact that personal contentment can be derived from strong connections to others. The figures’ facial expressions of joy, reinforce this.
4.   Thus, it is clear that ‘Text 1’ helps engender a more articulate understanding of how moments of wonder can be derived from self-discovery through our relationships.

Text 2 – Migrant Woman on a Melbourne Tram, Jennifer Straus (poem).
•   Rubric Links: discovery of new worlds, physical discovery, confronted within this new environment
•   Caesura
•   The use of parenthesis in stanza 3 has the effect of creating an aside.