Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:38:56 am

Author Topic: English conclusions  (Read 878 times)

jando

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English conclusions
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:19:55 pm »
+1
I was just wondering how important the conclusion actually is for an english essay.
I've heard things such as a marker will have usually determined the mark by the end of the introduction and the rest of the essay is just to validate it.
Is it worth making sure that the introduction and body paragraphs are the best they can possible be, knowing you likely won't have time for a conclusion or is it worth it having one.

Cheers.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English conclusions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 01:36:23 pm »
+4
I was just wondering how important the conclusion actually is for an english essay.
I've heard things such as a marker will have usually determined the mark by the end of the introduction and the rest of the essay is just to validate it.
Is it worth making sure that the introduction and body paragraphs are the best they can possible be, knowing you likely won't have time for a conclusion or is it worth it having one.

Cheers.

Hey, jando!

I’ve always been someone who values conclusions. If an essay has an introduction, it definitely should have a conclusion, like how a burger has two buns to encase its contents (without the other bun, the contents are still there but they’re just left hanging). Your introduction gives off first impressions for your essay, your arguments validate it but your conclusion contains your lasting words. Conclusions give your essay finality and can allow you to reiterate the premise your essay, your core ideas and your final judgement. Without one, I feel as though there is a sense of incompletion so I would highly suggest not underestimating the importance of having one.

That being said, if you’re running out of time under exam conditions, you can afford to sacrifice a conclusion if the rest of your essay is well-written. That is, again, something you should only consider if you’re running out of time. You could wait to see what others may have to say about this but I do think conclusions have merit and unless it’s not feasible in your time restrictions, you should aim to have one as polished as your introduction to impress the marker one last time  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:38:01 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 04:35:47 pm »
+3
Will add that our English lecturer, Emily, topped the state in 2016 and did so with one-sentence conclusions ;D

jando

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:21 am »
+1
Thankyou very much, this has helped me alot  :)