Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:11:21 am

Author Topic: Psychology 2014  (Read 71593 times)  Share 

Bluegirl

Re: Psychology 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47:33 pm »
I know I didn't score as high as some others on AN but I'm willing to help in whichever way I can for you guys :)
Psych is an awesome subject so best of luck this year!

LastOfUs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:14 pm »
I know I didn't score as high as some others on AN but I'm willing to help in whichever way I can for you guys :)
Psych is an awesome subject so best of luck this year!

40 is fantastic!

How hard did you work in Psych to obtain that score? Any tips? What do you reckon I should be planning to do these holidays (5th-28th is when I'll do like 1-2 hours a day) for psychology? I don't have my book yet so I'll have to use someone else's notes to learn!
My VCE 2014 Goal is to not end consciousness ... and a respectable ATAR.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 05:22:03 pm »
Once you get the book, I'd do the Grievas (sp?) book learning activities to a really high standard. I'd also get the Oxford textbook if you're aiming for a Premier's. I'd also get Psych A+ Notes, those books are crazy helpful.

I'd also keep a glossary of key terms and read over it like once a fortnight or smth like that. YouTube videos of all the concepts put into practice. Make mnemonics as best you can.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Bluegirl

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »
+5
40 is fantastic!

How hard did you work in Psych to obtain that score? Any tips? What do you reckon I should be planning to do these holidays (5th-28th is when I'll do like 1-2 hours a day) for psychology? I don't have my book yet so I'll have to use someone else's notes to learn!

I did work really hard but not as hard that I neglected my 1/2 subjects. My end of year exams I only lost a couple of marks on all, so I stayed pretty consistent.
I aimed for 40 the WHOLE year. I didn't want any lower, so at times when I felt drained and didn't want to study (despite it being my favourite subject) I stuck a sticky note on my desk and looked at that 40 for about 3 months before exams.
Side note: When results came out I couldn't look, so got my friend to and all I wanted to know was whether I got under or over. So so happy I reached my goal.
I believe I could have done better. I know i tried my damned hardest, but I know their were times where I slacked off because my cohort was weak. But unbelievably proud of my 40 :P (congrats to everyone else who got higher)

I did the homework my teacher set (learning activities mainly) and pre read the sections before class. For notes, my teacher had a PP on like, everything so they were my notes. I rarely made my own. Sometimes I made comparison tables eg. dimensional vs categorical approach to mental illness. (I had to think for a second there, wow).
I also listened to podcasts or watched clips on youtube based on my topic (Andrew Scott is great).

Tips: Learn it AT THAT TIME. Don't think 'oh, I'll learn it another day', 'I'll memorise that definition some other time' I know psych is becoming more about applying knowledge but quite a few of my SACs required definitions.

Personally, I probably looked at the study design 4 times during the year. 2 were before exams. That was my bad, and it wasn't until exam time that I was like 'crap, do I know that well enough, do I need that?' that it really became important how much the study design helps. This year I've put it at the front of each of my folders. My aim to work through it as I learn each AOS.

The psych homework I did during the summer holidays was creating a poster on the brain (might upload them to notes) and its functions as well as answered about 30 questions on the brain. I pretty much learnt the functions of the brain, where they were etc. because I was told our first SAC was going to be really early (I assumed 2nd week but it was about week 4. We went over everything about the brain at school, so by the end of the year the brain was down pat for me.
I didn't really hit me back then how important it was, but it shows that obtaining a 40 doesn't mean you have to get ahead. I never did apart from reading ahead. I stayed at my class' pace the whole year.

Another thing was I tried to apply it in everyday life. eg. before going to sleep I'd be like, okay, during REM sleep my brain waves are beta-like/saw tooth waves.
or I'd be like, when I see a spider my flight flight response activates, my sympathetic nervous system and HPA axis.

One thing I did was also look deeper into concepts. eg. Broca's aphasia, I'd google it, youtube it, out of cure interest, but it helped me understand it more because I connected it to those things (eg. girl who had Broca's aphasia on youtube had short deliberate speech, mainly consisted of content words and knew she had the disorder) Actually seeing it, rather than reading an example from the book helped me.

The only resources I had were the Grivas textbook. Again, didn't see the benefit of buying A+ notes back then or anything but it didn't affect me dramatically.

I was also the only year 11 in my class, so i didn't have 'friends' to get help from for about half a year, haha. By the end I made some great friends and we had study sessions during lunch and messaged each other on fb asking for help.
I'm sure there's lots to mention that aren't in my mind at the moment ( feels so long ago!) but if you have any other questions I'm happy to answer.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need help and I'll do my best! If you want some of my notes too then I'd be willing to send them :)
Enjoy psychology! It was by far my favourite subject (even in year 11 when all my friends say that it sucks) and I miss it!
This is just my own experience. Everyone has different ways of learning/studying so won't apply to everyone. Just my two cents :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:10:16 pm by Bluegirl »

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 05:58:41 pm »
+1
What do you reckon I should be planning to do these holidays (5th-28th is when I'll do like 1-2 hours a day) for psychology? I don't have my book yet so I'll have to use someone else's notes to learn!
the biggest thing that will help you out is research methods, so just learn the chapter really well, sometimes people get mixed up with confounding vs extraneous variables, and research designs etc. but really know research methods back to front, section C on this years exam was really really out of left field and people who didnt have such a good understanding of research methods didn't do well. other than that, learn a bit about consciousness, i recommend the newest editions of textbooks because there is alot of stuff in the last textbook that is absolutely not relevant and has wasted peoples time (reticular activating system etc.), scooby made a nice list here What has been taken out of the Psych 2013 study design??? of stuff that is no longer relevant, though if you are bored and love psych learn it anyway !!

so these holidays:
- learn research methods really well, so that during the year you  can focus on your sac topics
- do some light reading and if you want make notes on U3 AOS1

another note to remember - psychology is a subject with lots of tricks in it ! im not saying to rote learn everything, but for definitions of things, remember exactly how the textbook defines it, so that there is no room for error,
unless your teacher specifically asks otherwise

best of luck !!

millie96

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 06:49:13 pm »
I did Psych this year and got a 46 for it as a year 11. I still have my study notes on my computer, would anyone be interested in them?
yes please!

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »
I did Psych this year and got a 46 for it as a year 11. I still have my study notes on my computer, would anyone be interested in them?

You might want to try uploading them in the notes area of AN (under resources) just in case those that are doing psych don't happen to see this thread :)

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:32 pm »
Psychology 2014 ftw ~

On a side note, I am really looking forward to the course this year ! I absolutely loved psych last year and it is my favourite subject !

2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:24 pm »
I didn't do psych last year but I already love it
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:20 pm »
I did Psych last year, and 1/2 the year before. But wow, that's good you guys enjoyed 1/2! I didn't really give a poop about 1/2 and found it mehh and bland, but what you'll find that 3/4 content is different excluding the much hated but of utmost important Research Methods that carries on to 3/4 and throughout the course.

Anyways, good luck :) and Psych is quite enjoyable as you can apply it to a lot of things in life...memorising and cramming the content might get on your nerves, but making cue cards/mind maps/drawings, sharing your knowledge and applying/relating to things that happen (aha, elaborative rehearsal there :P) and constantly keeping it fresh will help ya.

*Not sure if you guys have already read them, but I made a few posts in another topic/psych thread with advice/tips for Psych a while back - might wanna check all threads related to Psych out :) 

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:57 pm »
I did Psych last year, and 1/2 the year before. But wow, that's good you guys enjoyed 1/2! I didn't really give a poop about 1/2 and found it mehh and bland, but what you'll find that 3/4 content is different excluding the much hated but of utmost important Research Methods that carries on to 3/4 and throughout the course.

Anyways, good luck :) and Psych is quite enjoyable as you can apply it to a lot of things in life...memorising and cramming the content might get on your nerves, but making cue cards/mind maps/drawings, sharing your knowledge and applying/relating to things that happen (aha, elaborative rehearsal there :P) and constantly keeping it fresh will help ya.

*Not sure if you guys have already read them, but I made a few posts in another topic/psych thread with advice/tips for Psych a while back - might wanna check all threads related to Psych out :) 

Thanks for that(:

Could you please link that thread here ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:43 pm »
Thanks for that(:

Could you please link that thread here ?

Not sure, but you've probs read it cuz it's a few threads below this :) but here ya go ~

Any tips for new comers to Psychology 3/4?

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 03:42:24 pm »
Is anyone going to the Tsfx lecture tomorrow?
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

xlaiyn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School: RMIT University
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »
Is anyone going to the Tsfx lecture tomorrow?
Aw, I was there! I should have checked this board.
2013: Software Development @ CRC
2014: Literature | Psychology | Biology | Media | Further Math @ RMIT
2015 - 2017: Bachelor of Emergency Health (Paramedic) @ Monash University

HawthornM8

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Matt Damon institution
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 08:06:03 pm »
GOOD LUCK remembering to spell or remember the word for the different ways to measure consciousness.