Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:16:15 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Medical Science  (Read 1641 times)  Share 

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Medical Science
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:33 pm »
Hi
Is Bachelor of Medical Science a good degree in terms of job opportunities?

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Bachelor of Medical Science
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:09:17 pm »
Are you referring to a Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Biomedicine? A BMedSci is for people who have already completed an undergrad or postgrad medical degree.

If you are, then to answer your question: a bachelor of biomedical science will not really help you land a job in and of itself. In fact, the prospects of employment with just a degree in Biomedical Science are pretty slim, to say the least. You might be able to do something as a lab techinician, but the point of the degree is generally to go off and do further study. Specifically, it's generally used as a pathway into graduate health science courses, such as medicine, dentistry, or physiotherapy. Similarly, you could complete an Honours year and then pursue a research pathway.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:43:03 pm »
Are you referring to a Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Biomedicine? A BMedSci is for people who have already completed an undergrad or postgrad medical degree.

If you are, then to answer your question: a bachelor of biomedical science will not really help you land a job in and of itself. In fact, the prospects of employment with just a degree in Biomedical Science are pretty slim, to say the least. You might be able to do something as a lab techinician, but the point of the degree is generally to go off and do further study. Specifically, it's generally used as a pathway into graduate health science courses, such as medicine, dentistry, or physiotherapy. Similarly, you could complete an Honours year and then pursue a research pathway.

Yeah, I was about to ask about B of Biomedical Science as well. I was referring to Bachelor of Medical Science (offerened at USYD,UTS,MACQ).
Right, I see. That's quite interesting :). In all honesty, I'm not too sure what do study in Uni. I want to study something Health Science related.
What are you planning to do post graduate?

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:49:29 pm »
Yeah, I was about to ask about B of Biomedical Science as well. I was referring to Bachelor of Medical Science (offerened at USYD,UTS,MACQ).
My apologies. I've done some quick research and it seems like this degree name is used a bit interchangeably with Biomedicine/Biomedical science, but to tell you the truth, it's a bit of a misnomer. The difference between the two isn't that important for you, however, so it's no cause for concern. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing! :)

Right, I see. That's quite interesting :). In all honesty, I'm not too sure what do study in Uni. I want to study something Health Science related.
What are you planning to do post graduate?
If you know you want to do something health science related, then that's definitely a fantastic start. In fact, it's basically the same position I was in when I was leaving high school, as I was very unsure of /exactly/ what I wanted to study afterwards.

To answer your question, I hope to study the MD at Melbourne Uni after I've finished my degree. If not, my back up plan is medicine at Deakin or Optometry at Melbourne. However, at the start of last year, I was not sold on the idea of doing medicine, so you may just need some more time to weigh up your options.

Hope this helps.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne