Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:15 pm

Author Topic: Studying  (Read 2068 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Studying
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:37 am »
How is everyone studying for ex1?

Is it memorising quotes? Memorising essays? Writing essays? Or anything else?

Comment below what you’re doing and planning to do! :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
Re: Studying
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:39 pm »
How is everyone studying for ex1?

Is it memorising quotes? Memorising essays? Writing essays? Or anything else?

Comment below what you’re doing and planning to do! :)

Practicising adapting my creative to different stimulus usually from the ones my teacher has given and past HSC papers.
Looking at trial papers and writing essay scaffolds.

TBH I've been slacking off extension in favour of advanced! Should remedy this soon :)

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »
Hi! I'm not studying for ext at all yet - my timetable is spread out so that I have 4 days free before ext and to me it's probably the easiest exam, so I'll just study for it then. When the time comes, I have a generalised essay that I'll memorise for the most part, with a broad thesis about the genre itself (I'm doing sci-fi) that is relevant to my essay regardless of the question - my essay then follows the development of the genre as I discuss my texts, and I can morph this to fit the question. I'll then practice writing it out to different questions under timed conditions, and tweak it where I can. I'll do the same for my story which is also pre-written and adaptable to (hopefully) almost all stimiuli. Something else I find helpful is to write a timed creative piece to a stimulus that I know DOESN'T fit with my story - this forces me to broaden the premise of my story and that I know ways I can change entire storyline if need be!
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:56:18 pm »
Hi! I'm not studying for ext at all yet - my timetable is spread out so that I have 4 days free before ext and to me it's probably the easiest exam, so I'll just study for it then. When the time comes, I have a generalised essay that I'll memorise for the most part, with a broad thesis about the genre itself (I'm doing sci-fi) that is relevant to my essay regardless of the question - my essay then follows the development of the genre as I discuss my texts, and I can morph this to fit the question. I'll then practice writing it out to different questions under timed conditions, and tweak it where I can. I'll do the same for my story which is also pre-written and adaptable to (hopefully) almost all stimiuli. Something else I find helpful is to write a timed creative piece to a stimulus that I know DOESN'T fit with my story - this forces me to broaden the premise of my story and that I know ways I can change entire storyline if need be!

Yeah I think my plan will be a bit the same! I’m doing ATB though :)

Ps I just saw your signature - are you doing compacted curriculum too?? Or pathways
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:52:45 pm »
+1
Yeah I think my plan will be a bit the same! I’m doing ATB though :)

Ps I just saw your signature - are you doing compacted curriculum too?? Or pathways

Sorry for being a few weeks late - I only just saw your reply! And no, I'm doing 10 units, with English Advanced and Maths implied because of the extensions, but should probably change my signature because it's not very clear. Glad you pointed that out! A school just near mine does compacted curriculum though so I have some friends who do that 😊
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55