Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:35:49 pm

Author Topic: Extension 1- Navigating the Global  (Read 8267 times)  Share 

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Extension 1- Navigating the Global
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:17 am »
+6
Hey everyone! I just wanted to create a discussion thread for anyone who is studying Navigating the Global (Module B) in Extension 1 English in case they have any questions on theory, creative ideas or the texts they are studying. I noticed that there wasn't a space available yet that focused on this specific topic, so feel free to send in any questions/queries if you have any concerns :D
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Extension 1- Navigating the Global
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:40 am »
+3
Hey everyone! I just wanted to create a discussion thread for anyone who is studying Navigating the Global (Module B) in Extension 1 English in case they have any questions on theory, creative ideas or the texts they are studying. I noticed that there wasn't a space available yet that focused on this specific topic, so feel free to send in any questions/queries if you have any concerns :D
A great opportunity guys :) Bianca smashed extension last year (can verify as we went to school together, so proud  8)) and her extension 1 english teacher is an absolute legend, so the resources she has for this unit will be defs be top standard!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

biancajuru

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:46:42 pm »
+3
A great opportunity guys :) Bianca smashed extension last year (can verify as we went to school together, so proud  8)) and her extension 1 english teacher is an absolute legend, so the resources she has for this unit will be defs be top standard!

Thanks Susie, you're a legend!  ;D
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

zemilyx

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Trinity Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:00:22 pm »
Hi :)
Am struggling a bit with writing an essay for NTG in terms of structuring it. There's just so much to cover in terms of the paradigms and different movements I'm not quite sure how to put it all into cohesive paragraphs and make sense of it all. Can you make any suggestions for basic structure?
I'm also finding incorporating the theorist into it quite difficult. Which theorist did you do?
Thank you so much
Emily :))

biancajuru

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:05:16 pm »
+5
Am struggling a bit with writing an essay for NTG in terms of structuring it. There's just so much to cover in terms of the paradigms and different movements I'm not quite sure how to put it all into cohesive paragraphs and make sense of it all. Can you make any suggestions for basic structure?
I'm also finding incorporating the theorist into it quite difficult. Which theorist did you do?
Thank you so much

Hi Emily, the most important thing to remember when do an essay for extension is that the structure is the same as an essay you'd write in Advanced- however the point of difference is that it is supplemented by theory concerning globalisation, which should be imbedded throughout the whole essay in order to address the focus study and demonstrate how the texts examine these issues. The first paragraph you do should be on theory because this will be embedded throughout the essay.

In my case, I used Lyotard and his consideration of the 'grand narrative', a system that provides a comprehensive explanation of human experience and knowledge (meta narratives of a reality- in this case modernity), and how my prescribed texts/relateds seek to convey the dangers in such totalising singular visions that lead to a perception of ‘difference’ and degradation of one’s self and morality. And it is in this process of demystifying the corrupting force of modernity (the ideas/institutions it's built on) that provides liberation, and individuals are able to embrace 'little narratives' in heterogeneity of human experience. In short, that is how I would introduce theory, and these ideas can be supplement by a related text that also looks at the tensions between homogeny and hetrogeny in the modern era, and the implications that arise from this e.g. in an attempt to amalgamate societies and cultures that are vastly different it creates disjointed operations and disjunctures between ideologies which impact the individual in various ways eg. isolation, low morality, confusion, etc.

After establishing theory, and the theoretic framework in which you want to structure your essay (analyse the texts), you start to analyse the core texts based on a thematic structure eg. you can focus a paragraph on looking at the modern context as a binary nature, as either empowering or entrapping while possessing the common experience of a degradation of morality. The theory should be central to the themes you choose. To demonstrate this throughout the paragraph, you can mention Lyotard, or another theorist's name, and word drop 'little narratives' and 'grand narratives' in relation to the content of your texts. That should be your basic structure :)

I know there is a lot of theory! (I remember by teacher giving me loads of notes), but you have to really draw key concepts from it, that are most applicable to the texts you are studying, and really delve into them. Its better covering fewer ideas in more depth, than many in a very superficial way. As I said before, one of your relateds can always be an essay on globalisation as well, which in turn can provide a deeper analysis of your main theorist's work by building on those ideas, and use those ideas later in your analysis of the core texts.

Hope this helps and provides clarification! :)

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »
+4
Thank you so much

Hey Emily! Just wanted to add another perspective to what Bianca has already contributed:

In my essay I included multiple theorists that supported my thesis and paragraphs. So I had 3 "normal" paragraphs all focused on my texts, with the theory sewn in amongst it. Theory also formed a part of my actual nitty gritty analysis.
I used/mentioned:

- Nietzsche's 'Ubermensch'
- Hegel's 'master-slave dialectic'
- Edward Said's theory of 'Orientalism'
- Homi K. Bhabha's theory of 'cultural hybridity'

Off the top of my head, other common theorists that my peers used were Lyotard (like Bianca said), Baudrillard, Debord and Clifford.

Extension 1 can be messy and difficult and daunting because there is no perfect formula when writing your essay. This is what makes it unique to Advanced. Don't forget that its still a HSC English essay. So when you're deciding on a structure your main priority should still be your texts. The juicy paradigms and theories you're discovering should frame all of your analysis, not overtake it.

But keep at it, your ideas will solidify and your writing will develop as the year goes on and you keep rehashing the concepts. 😃
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

zemilyx

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:19:38 am »
+2
Thank you so much!
I have an exam tomorrow and this is so helpful :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:56 am »
+3
I've just set this topic to sticky for now so that students can find it easily when they go to the Ext 1 threads, in the hopes that the discussion for Navigating the Global can pick up! There's a good little team here so hopefully this makes it easier for browsing students to find their way here to join the chat :) So now it's stuck to the top of the forum like After the Bomb and Romanticism :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:28 am »
Hi! I just wanted throw it out there to see if anyone else was studying Lost in Translation? does anyone have any tips on how to approach analysis, that is, concentrating on charlotte and viewing bob as supporting her navigation or vice-versa or together?

biancajuru

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 04:14:53 pm »
+8
Hey crabstickz! I did study Lost in Translation, and I'd suggest a focus on both characters. They each have there own stories and journeys, but when writing the essay I'd suggest you focus on the common issue they share (which are typical of individuals in the globalised context ie. loneliness, isolation, disconnection with self and milieu) and show how this effects them individually through examples. For example Charlottes visit to the temple and Bob's whisky ad should convey this disconnection with ones environment and thus self (as individuals are formed by their context) due to language barriers and disjunction with perceptions and reality largely due to cultural differences. It is important to make reference to the environment of Tokyo and what that means in their journey, and how their relationship enables the to anchor themselves in a constantly changing environment (typical description of modernity) by focusing on finding human connection and purpose via their relationship. In essence they both help each other on their similar paths of navigating the global- so focus on common ideas and then their individual examples to effectively convey an analysis :) hope this helps!

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:59:10 pm »

Hey crabstickz! I did study Lost in Translation, and I'd suggest a focus on both characters. They each have there own stories and journeys, but when writing the essay I'd suggest you focus on the common issue they share (which are typical of individuals in the globalised context ie. loneliness, isolation, disconnection with self and milieu) and show how this effects them individually through examples. For example Charlottes visit to the temple and Bob's whisky ad should convey this disconnection with ones environment and thus self (as individuals are formed by their context) due to language barriers and disjunction with perceptions and reality largely due to cultural differences. It is important to make reference to the environment of Tokyo and what that means in their journey, and how their relationship enables the to anchor themselves in a constantly changing environment (typical description of modernity) by focusing on finding human connection and purpose via their relationship. In essence they both help each other on their similar paths of navigating the global- so focus on common ideas and then their individual examples to effectively convey an analysis :) hope this helps!

Ohhh! Thank you so much! So it would be best to analyse their scenes seperately in terms of technique and such then link the ideas together and then to globalisation?

biancajuru

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 01:00:43 am »
+3

Ohhh! Thank you so much! So it would be best to analyse their scenes seperately in terms of technique and such then link the ideas together and then to globalisation?

Yep definately! That would be the strongest option to create a cohesive and integrated essay that is linked to Nav the global (with your ideas being ones that fit within the ideas of the module). Good luck :)

sara.m

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:53 am »
Is anyone studying Denise Levertov's poems for Navigating? I'm just having trouble finding info about her and each poem's context, does anyone know some useful sources?

annacampbell767

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
Hi guys,

Just wondering what a good related text would be for this unit? I was thinking Fasting, Feasting by Anita Desai however a TSFX lecturer told me when in regards to Advanced English the markers like the related texts to be of a different medium, is it the same for Extension?
My core texts are:
- White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- Lost in Translation
- Journey to the Stone Country by Alex Miller

Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:30:40 am »
+1
Hi guys,

Just wondering what a good related text would be for this unit? I was thinking Fasting, Feasting by Anita Desai however a TSFX lecturer told me when in regards to Advanced English the markers like the related texts to be of a different medium, is it the same for Extension?
My core texts are:
- White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- Lost in Translation
- Journey to the Stone Country by Alex Miller

Thanks!

Hi Anna! I didn't study this module so I'm a little limited in the recommendation department. But I can say something about the different medium types for prescribed and related...
Don't necessarily take that advice as the 100% case for all markers. There's nothing in the FAQ on NESA to say this is the case, and there is a whole section dedicated to related text selection. I think the benefit of choosing different text types is showing your prowess across different literary mediums. But, for my Advanced Module C I had a novel as my prescribed, and chose a short story as my related - and because they were both in written form I found it very easy and smooth to relate certain techniques, or the contrast different techniques, across the two.

For example, I talked about how they both used the limited omniscient narrator in both texts but how it lead to very different representations of circumstances.

I know this wasn't the question you asked, but I hope it gives you some information to think about :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!