Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:59:11 pm

Author Topic: Goal Setting Theory  (Read 1417 times)  Share 

Omarrr_2163

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Goal Setting Theory
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:43:25 pm »
Hello,
I know this has become an arising problem for many students. In the Cambridge text-book, they specify that in the goal-setting process, the SMART principle must be used. However, looking at the examiner's report, they used the variables of goal commitment, performance feedback, situational constraints and task complexity. Which one should I be using to stay safe or are they both adequate responses for the goal setting theory? This is my explanation of the Goal Setting Theory. Can someone please assess it and provide some feedback on what to include or not to include.

"Goal Setting Theory, developed by Locke and Latham is a process theory that focuses on the setting and attainment of goals. Furthermore, Locke and Latham concluded that specific and challenging yet attainable goals led to better task performance and motivation than easy or vague goals. Moreover, the goals are established using the SMART principle in conjunction with the employee and the manager. Namely, the goals must be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound to ensure clarity of the goals being set. As the goal is established, the employee will endeavor on the task with increased performance and effort, periodic feedback must be provided on the progress towards the goal. At the end of the period, the outcomes are evaluated and subsequently results in reward and recognition."
2018: Business Management {42} ~ Further Mathematics {41}
2019: Chemistry (~40) - Mathematical Methods (~42) ~ English (40) ~ Physics (~38)
ATAR Goal: 97

accountingpro

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Goal Setting Theory
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:01:02 pm »
I feel like they got (sort of) hand in hand and either would be correct.

I've been referencing SMART in my practice sacs but we did quickly glance over those 5 things in class.

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Goal Setting Theory
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:52 pm »
+1
I'm doing unit 3 in year 12 now and I didn't do unit 1 + 2 last year but I know you learned about SMART goals there. My textbook (Jacaranda), specifically says 'Note: Please be aware that, while related, SMART goals are not a part of Locke’s theory and should not be used to cover the key elements of the theory in your VCAA exam.' I wouldn't mention SMART goals in a response about Locke and Latham's theory, I would stick to the five principles of clarity, challenge, commitment, feedback and task complexity.