Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:45:05 pm

Author Topic: Polymers - First Hand Investigation  (Read 1019 times)  Share 

Anonymous_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Polymers - First Hand Investigation
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:12:51 pm »
So our Depth Study has been given to us and we are told to create a scientific poster based on a first hand investigation on how different monomers and reaction conditions affect the properties of a polymer. Here are some questions I have and would highly appreciate it if people could give some advice:

1) In order to create a specific polymer, we need monomers and an initiator molecule. I've searched through Google and Bunnings and some hardware stores but don't know where I can buy monomers and initiator molecules. Anyone know or have a link where I can buy them for a relatively cheap price?

2) Do different monomers require different initiator molecules in order to create a polymer? If so, how do you check which initiator molecules are required for a certain monomer?

3) Once the monomer and initiator is obtained, would I just pour a certain amount of monomer (around 5mL) and drop 'x' amount of initiator molecules in order to create a certain polymer? Or is there some other process?

4) When it comes to testing for properties of a polymer, apart from strength, boiling point and flexibility, what else can be tested? And how would you really test boiling point and flexibility if the polymer created is liquid (since both monomer and initiator molecules are liquid)?

Anonymous_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Polymers - First Hand Investigation
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 08:12:10 pm »
Bump