Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:22:25 am

Author Topic: Monash Business VS Monash Commerce  (Read 11331 times)  Share 

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Monash Business VS Monash Commerce
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:27:24 pm »
hey just wondering about the differences with the two degrees- thinking about transfer from Bsci->BBus or BComm/BSci

So far i have lurked that they are relatively the same but Business is more "dumbed down" than Commerce. Is there any truth to this because I have heard that the BusEco lecturers from Clayton also go to Caufield.
Re: BComm vs BBus

They both have a similar course structure and basically only differ in ATAR cutoff and transfer averages.
http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/esg/agu/policies/internal-course-transfers.html

Caufield Business (82.1)
 AFF1000 Principles of accounting and finance
    BTF1010 Commercial law
    ECF1100 Microeconomics
    ETX1100 Business statistics
    MGF1010 Introduction to management
    MKF1120 Marketing theory and practice

Clayton Comm (90.3)
AFC1000 Principles of accounting and finance
    BTC1110 Business law
    ECC1000 Principles of microeconomics
    ETC1000 Business and economic statistics
    MGC1010 Introduction to management
    MKC1200 Principles of marketing

The Majors in both are also similar.
Is it just about the "Prestige" of it all?

Thank you for all responses

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Monash Business VS Monash Commerce
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »
Yep, only difference is the prestige, same issue with Melb. commerce / Monash commerce. But obviously, do Monash commerce, as it's rated more highly!
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

Soul_Khan

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »
inb4 this thread turns into Melb Comm. vs Monash Comm. debate..

Anyway..doesn't commerce focus more on the macro environment whilst business focuses more on the micro environment, my business management teacher also said you learn things in more detail in commerce.
2012 ATAR: 52.50
#swag #yolo #basedgod

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
+1

Anyway..doesn't commerce focus more on the macro environment whilst business focuses more on the micro environment, my business management teacher also said you learn things in more detail in commerce.

How much more detail is the question.

Maybe someone can verify this

Also Soul Khan is a beast

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »
+1
Depending on what specific course you undertake in BBus at Monash University, you are able to complete your degree with 2 majors and a minor (formed from your elective units); which I'm not entirely sure BComm offers (feel free to correct me anyone). The content taught at Caulfield isn't vastly different from Clayton - though I wouldn't go as far as to say it's 'dumbed down' - it's more-so that in BBus, they don't go into as much depth as BComm would and there are slight variations in the material covered. The gap between BComm and BBus in terms of content isn't huge. Prestige-wise, BComm > BBus. Also, in BBus you can choose to take 'ECF1200: Macroeconomics' and 'ECF2331: Macroeconomic and monetary policy' as part of the 'Banking and Finance' major.

EDIT: If you're looking ahead, BComm is favoured by the larger firms over BBus - but that shouldn't discourage you from keeping BBus as a viable option.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:05:02 pm by epl »

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »
Depending on what specific course you undertake in BBus at Monash University, you are able complete your degree with 2 majors and a minor (formed from your elective units); which I'm not entirely sure BComm offers (feel free to correct me anyone). The content taught at Caulfield isn't vastly different from Clayton - though I wouldn't go as far as to say it's 'dumbed down' - it's more-so that in BBus, they don't go into as much depth as BComm would and there are slight variations in the material covered. The gap between BComm and BBus in terms of content isn't huge. Prestige-wise, BComm > BBus. Also, in BBus you can choose to take 'ECF1200: Macroeconomics' and 'ECF2331: Macroeconomic and monetary policy' as part of the 'Banking and Finance' major.

What about jobs/ recruitment wise? can you shed any info on this?

If two candidates where applying for the same job/internship and both had the same WAM, is one degree more favourable than the other?
(Disregarding personality/ extra curricular activities / experience)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:01 pm »
+2
What about jobs/ recruitment wise? can you shed any info on this?

If two candidates where applying for the same job/internship and both had the same WAM, is one degree more favourable than the other?
(Disregarding personality/ extra curricular activities / experience)

EDIT: If you're looking ahead, BComm is favoured by the larger firms over BBus - but that shouldn't discourage you from keeping BBus as a viable option.

Just answered your question. That said, if you had a BBus student averaging HDs and a BComm student averaging Cs, I think you'd take the first option and vice versa. The stigma attached with doing BBus as opposed to BComm can hurt your employment chances, undeniably so, but it is never just the degree itself which you come out with that defines whether you get the job or not.

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »
The stigma attached with doing BBus as opposed to BComm can hurt your employment chances, undeniably so, but it is never just the degree itself which you come out with that defines whether you get the job or not.

Well said man. Really appreciate it.
*SIGH* if only someone would have told me in year 12.

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
The stigma attached with doing BBus as opposed to BComm can hurt your employment chances, undeniably so, but it is never just the degree itself which you come out with that defines whether you get the job or not.

That's not to say it can't be overcome. My friend who went into BBus ended up beating the majority of my commerce friends (some of who are unemployed) and got into Ernst and Young. He had interviews for other Big 4 firms as well. My understanding is that the degree is just a part of a much much larger process. You might lose a point there, but there's plenty more to be gained elsewhere.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:11:39 pm »

My understanding is that the degree is just a part of a much much larger process. You might lose a point there, but there's plenty more to be gained elsewhere.

I don't understand :S
Are you sort of saying through personality/experience?

My main gripe is why the two degrees are essentially the same but have two different names?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »
hey just wondering about the differences with the two degrees- thinking about transfer from Bsci->BBus or BComm/BSci
Here's my advice: If you're planning to transfer from single Bsci, it's best if you go into double degree BComm/Bsci, it is a more flexible course, they complement each other very well in most cases and is more recognised than BBus.

BBus and BComm are very similar but have their differences, alot of them has already been mentioned in this thread, the main thing is prestige. There are some other finer details which also account for differences. A lot of the units in you do in BComm can gain you exemptions for many things later on in your career (a few specific examples are CFA exemptions, actuary exams exemptions, RG146 financial planning accreditation and so on); these are not offered in BBus.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

dmanz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »
Here's my advice: If you're planning to transfer from single Bsci, it's best if you go into double degree BComm/Bsci, it is a more flexible course, they complement each other very well in most cases and is more recognised than BBus.

BBus and BComm are very similar but have their differences, alot of them has already been mentioned in this thread, the main thing is prestige. There are some other finer details which also account for differences. A lot of the units in you do in BComm can gain you exemptions for many things later on in your career (a few specific examples are CFA exemptions, actuary exams exemptions, RG146 financial planning accreditation and so on); these are not offered in BBus.

Yeah that is my preference. I don't lose credits for my sci units as well.

Side question.
Have you (or anyone you know) been recruited by companies for internship or a job/job interview? If so, how does it all work.