Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:00:00 am

Poll

How are you feeling about your Trials?

Totally smashed them, bring on the HSC!
A few little issues, but I'm happy overall!
I've got some kinks I need to iron out...
What even is Discovery?
#rekt

Author Topic: CSSA Sound Off Thread  (Read 12836 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
CSSA Sound Off Thread
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »
+1
This is a thread to sound off on the CSSA Exams. How do you think you went? Want to chat about your results in general? Are you worried about anything and want to get some advice from your peers or from us? This is the place!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: CSSA Sound Off Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:43:59 pm »
I heard the Ancient History exam was absolutely terrible and the Extension 1 Math was the hardest its been in years (apparently)

I was happy with Biology, Senior Science, SOR II (Independent paper), Design and Tech
Was not that happy about English Paper 2, Paper 1 was alright tho.

Just my thoughts!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:48:22 pm »
+2
I got Rekt

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »
I heard the Ancient History exam was absolutely terrible and the Extension 1 Math was the hardest its been in years (apparently)

I was happy with Biology, Senior Science, SOR II (Independent paper), Design and Tech
Was not that happy about English Paper 2, Paper 1 was alright tho.

Just my thoughts!

I'm keen to hear about the questions in the exam from tomorrow when the restrictions are lifted, I've also heard MX1 was a tad tough this time around :P glad to hear you're confident with most of them! ;D

I got Rekt

Lol'd  :o

callumliasides

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:24 pm »
I got 52/70 in extension 1 mathematics, im just wondering if its good considering the difficulty of the test?

and if there are any tips to help as i lost 5 marks from silly errors which were easily avoidable, but due to the difficulty of the exam I was unable to go through my answers, so do you have any tips on time managements in the extension 1 course?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »
I got 52/70 in extension 1 mathematics, im just wondering if its good considering the difficulty of the test?

and if there are any tips to help as i lost 5 marks from silly errors which were easily avoidable, but due to the difficulty of the exam I was unable to go through my answers, so do you have any tips on time managements in the extension 1 course?
I haven't seen the exam. In general 52/70 is a mid E3 to low E4 catering for a variety of difficulties.

What were the natures of the silly errors? Silly errors is another thing that progressively diminishes with more practice and practice (past papers).

The general idea is that (Total exam time) / (Number of marks) gives you the time you should spend per mark. Of course, this formula is not absolutely indicative of what you should do, but it gives you a reference point. Fact is if you've spent more than 1 minute without making any good progress you've spent way too much time and need to move on. Always grab marks you can get before you go for those that are more out of reach.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 09:16:10 pm »

52/70, given how hard I've heard the Extension 1 paper was, is a great mark! Keep doing practice papers, work hard and improve it a bit for the HSC and you'll easily be sitting on a nice Band E4 mark! ;D good work!

Definitely agree with Rui above, it's important to keep moving! Leave questions you don't quite get until the end, get the easy marks first, it's all about mark maximisation. You can almost end up doing the paper twice; once to get the easy stuff, again to get whatever you can from the trickier. This might seem strange, but it makes sure that you get every mark that you possibly can ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »
Just got Senior Science today and got 72/100. I was hoping for 75-80(+?) so a little disappointed that I just couldnt get there!! But some questions in it were a little bit ambiguous.. And diagrams are not my strong point lol ;D

zachary99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:29 pm »
English paper 1 was sweet  :D :D :D :D :D :D
paper 2 (advanced) was a little harder however.........people and politics rekt me!!!!!!!
I found the business paper a little prickly but overall okay   :o

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »
English paper 1 was sweet  :D :D :D :D :D :D
paper 2 (advanced) was a little harder however.........people and politics rekt me!!!!!!!
I found the business paper a little prickly but overall okay   :o

Welcome to the forums Zach! Great to hear ;D let me know if you need a hand finding anything ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:54:38 pm »
Just got Senior Science today and got 72/100. I was hoping for 75-80(+?) so a little disappointed that I just couldnt get there!! But some questions in it were a little bit ambiguous.. And diagrams are not my strong point lol ;D

No worries study buddy, plenty of time to push yourself further and meet your goals!! ;D good to hear you have an area of improvement in mind too :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »
Got English Advanced Paper 2 back today as well and got 3 B's!!! I was cheering! While this may seem like a disappointment for some getting B's, I got 9/20 in my last Mod A essay and to get a B (writing about power instead of authority :P) is good for me!

Happy with English Paper 2 and hope paper 1 doesnt drag me down!!
People and Landscapes question was a gift, although heard that people and politics was a tad hard..

**releases pent up enthusiasm ;D**

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »
Started getting marks back today, and they were not as bad as I thought they would be at all! I'm actually really happy haha, which was not what i was expecting after last week.

I was so worried for modern (u may remember hahaha) but I ended up getting 95%! And 92% for history extension :) Those are the only physical marks that have been given back, but I've got feedback from other subjects and it seems in general it all went okay :)

One problem though that has cropped up in almost all of them is my handwriting... :/ Apparently it gets REALLY bad by the end of the exam because I start to rush + my hand hurts really bad. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this? I've bought a weighted pen, so thats a start.

Now onto HSC Drama performances Monday... :/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:40:08 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »
+2
Got English Advanced Paper 2 back today as well and got 3 B's!!! I was cheering! While this may seem like a disappointment for some getting B's, I got 9/20 in my last Mod A essay and to get a B (writing about power instead of authority :P) is good for me!

Happy with English Paper 2 and hope paper 1 doesnt drag me down!!
People and Landscapes question was a gift, although heard that people and politics was a tad hard..

**releases pent up enthusiasm ;D**
Started getting marks back today, and they were not as bad as I thought they would be at all! I'm actually really happy haha, which was not what i was expecting after last week.

I was so worried for modern (u may remember hahaha) but I ended up getting 95%! And 92% for history extension :) Those are the only physical marks that have been given back, but I've got feedback from other subjects and it seems in general it all went okay :)

One problem though that has cropped up in almost all of them is my handwriting... :/ Apparently it gets REALLY bad by the end of the exam because I start to rush + my hand hurts really bad. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this? I've bought a weighted pen, so thats a start.

Awesome job guys!! Top efforts, brilliant work! ;D

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:27 pm »
+2

The weighted pen is a great idea, I've taken to just taping a AA battery to the end of my normal pens and its helped me build up some strength. I've definitely noticed an improvement but other people I've chatted to haven't noticed any difference, so either way its worth a shot.

When your hand starts cramping its 110% worth pausing for just 5 seconds and giving your hand and wrist a shake/massage. I sometimes use those seconds to take a swig of water as well. Figure out the shittiest aspects of your hand writing and make a conscious effort to keep on correcting them as you write, e.g. my s's get straighter and just look like random lines so even in the most intense moments I always have this in the back of my mind. Check out this article for more info: http://atarnotes.com/handwriting-improving-speed-neatness-and-legibility/

Overall it sounds cliche and boring but its true that the more practise you do under timed conditions, the faster you'll get and your hand will hurt less. Good luck!
P.S. those Trial results are BLOODY AWESOME, top job  8)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle