Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:26 am

Author Topic: What's the best language for music?  (Read 3226 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
What's the best language for music?
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:41:52 pm »
+7
Title says it all.

I feel like some languages just seem to really click in song, whereas others perhaps aren't as nice. What are your thoughts?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: What's the best language for music?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »
+6
Title says it all.

I feel like some languages just seem to really click in song, whereas others perhaps aren't as nice. What are your thoughts?
Yeahh, I actually prefer listening to Disney songs from the 'original country.'

For example, I prefer the German version of all the Tangled songs, or the French version of all the Beauty and the Beast songs, or even the Russian version of all the Anastasia songs (yes, I know, Anastasia isn't Disney). Even though I grew up listening to the English version of these songs, it just sounds better in the 'original' language, I'm not entirely sure how to explain how.

When it comes to songs translated into English, I'm not a huge fan of that either- a lot of Kpop/Jpop songs that get translated to English doesn't sound right to me and I end up listening to the original version.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:08:57 pm »
+5
I think Italian works really well. The words just flow together -- it's a smooth language. Just Romance languages in general sound great in music. An example song is Che Vuole Questa Musica Stasera by Peppino Gagliardi.

In the middle-tier are Finnish and Germanic languages. They work great for rougher songs, but I can't really see them working for softer, cleaner songs. Examples are Ämmänhauta by Korpiklaani and Nehallenia by Heidevolk

Languages that I think don't work as well are Slavic languages. It just sounds kinda whiny to me. I think I'm a bit skewed here because I can understand tiny bits and pieces, so it makes my brain feel funny haha. Examples are Derevyannyye Tserkvi Rusi by Chornyy Kofe and Dve Sledi by Shturcite.

To those here who speak English as an additional language, I'd be interested to hear how English sounds as a language :) I feel like I can't hear it as a language in itself

Edit, kinda off-topic
To those who are interested in dead languages, this is a song in Gaulish. Experts were consulted to make the lyrics and pronouncation as authentic as possible, but they can't be 100% sure. Regardless, pretty interesting. It's pretty much an early version of Red Riding Hood. As you might be able to tell, I love songs in other languages
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:25:19 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:48 pm »
+1
Title says it all.
Chinese, Korean, Spanish, French and  Japanese

I've listened to a lot of foreign asian music and I find it really nice =). French and Spanish music also sound really romantic!
- Spanish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4mDiJRH6Q
- Chinese - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6VEkSab1bk
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0dMz8RBG7g
- Korean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtU-mosH7GA
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:36:04 pm by EEEEEEP »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:27:42 pm »
+2
Edit, kinda off-topic
To those who are interested in dead languages, this is a song in Gaulish. Experts were consulted to make the lyrics and pronouncation as authentic as possible, but they can't be 100% sure. Regardless, pretty interesting. It's pretty much an early version of Red Riding Hood. As you might be able to tell, I love songs in other languages

This is really cool. Reminds me of Namárië, which is a song out of Lord of the Rings. Completely made up, but my god it's beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XnzglBjxc

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:36:25 pm »
+1
This is really cool. Reminds me of Namárië, which is a song out of Lord of the Rings. Completely made up, but my god it's beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XnzglBjxc

Ooh, I like that. From memory, Tolkien took some inspiration from ancient Germanic languages when he was first constructing Quenya, so that probably explains the similarity to Gaulish
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:49:43 pm »
+2
To those here who speak English as an additional language, I'd be interested to hear how English sounds as a language :) I feel like I can't hear it as a language in itself

Edit, kinda off-topic
Agreed on every single aspect of this post!

This is a bit of a tangent, but nevertheless:
If your interested in hearing what English sounds like to a foreign ear, look up “how English sounds to a non-English speakers” and there’s a skit on YouTube that has an interpretation. edit: I think this is it: (Youtube's restricted at my house lol, so here's the one I think it might be)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:26:13 am by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:24 pm »
+3
I listened to a fair bit of French music when I studied French in high school and I think it makes for a really nice language for music - in particular, anything by Stromae comes to mind. The syllables and words flow so nicely, while I find English can sometimes be a bit abrasive.
There's also some nice Dutch songs I found by going down a rabbit hole on Youtube - example

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:38:42 am »
+2
For me personally it's mainly French or English but I also listen to some Spanish/Chinese/Korean.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:29 pm »
I listen to a hell of a lot of Spanish (you're shocked I know)...what are your favourite Spanish songs?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
I listen to a hell of a lot of Spanish (you're shocked I know)...what are your favourite Spanish songs?
Enrique Igelesias - bailando, Hero

Macarena

They always get me in a good mood and they’re so upbeat !
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:32:19 pm by EEEEEEP »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 06:37:19 pm »

Addendum: the answer "Despacito" will incur a permaban.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
+4
Addendum: the answer "Despacito" will incur a permaban.
The first time i heard despacito someone else was singing it and i thought they were saying "theres pasito" and I was like "oh shit that was my drink in grade 6"

to answer the original question I think it just depends on the song, but I like how most latin american pop music sounds. danza kuduro was the despacito of its time but way better. I think hip hop sounds really good in korean and japanese too. french for more poppy edm maybe. hardstyle has to be in english and if you go to foreign hardstyle events (eg: defqon netherlands) all the songs are in english (even if there is a dutch/italian version) and all the performers speak to the crowd in english