Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:38:28 am

Author Topic: UCAT preparation through other programs  (Read 1313 times)

Khushi1473

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
UCAT preparation through other programs
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:16:47 am »
Hi everyone!!

I'm currently going into year 11 soon and I aspire to study Medicine, meaning that I'll probably need to do the UCAT. I've looked a lot into it and I think I want to sign up to MedEntry mid-year 11 so I'll have a year to prepare. I've attended MedEntry's UCAT seminar, which was pretty helpful but I'm still unsure if its the best idea.

Could anyone with past experience with this whole thing suggest anything?

Thank you!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: UCAT preparation through other programs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:42:57 am »
+9
MedEntry is very overpriced and they have apparently been using questions from the ISC UCAT book. I recommend purchasing Medify. It's far more affordable, it has over 10,000 practice questions, mini mocks, mock exams and video tutorials for each section. They've also been catering to the UCAT (UKCAT) for ages due to being a UK company. If you've fully used up Medify, THEN you can purchase MedEntry for more practice questions/mock exams.

Also, I highly recommend you watch some free youtube videos on the UCAT and do all the official, free practice questions and mock exams on their website before buying any questions. They give you the best possible insight into what the questions are like, as they were written by the company that writes the UCAT and are imo the best practice tool you can use.

If it were me, I'd go in this order: official questions/exams --> Medify --> If you have more time, MedEntry.

Kaplan is also useful if you want to improve in Verbal Reasoning, as their VR passages are very long and questions on average are more difficult than the real thing (for VR).

EDIT; May be worth it to save some official UCAT mocks for closer to the exam. This is up to you however, whatever works best.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:08:53 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Khushi1473

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:13:03 pm »
MedEntry is very overpriced and they have apparently been using questions from the ISC UCAT book. I recommend purchasing Medify. It's far more affordable, it has over 10,000 practice questions, mini mocks, mock exams and video tutorials for each section. They've also been catering to the UCAT (UKCAT) for ages due to being a UK company. If you've fully used up Medify, THEN you can purchase MedEntry for more practice questions/mock exams.

Also, I highly recommend you watch some free youtube videos on the UCAT and do all the official, free practice questions and mock exams on their website before buying any questions. They give you the best possible insight into what the questions are like, as they were written by the company that writes the UCAT and are imo the best practice tool you can use.

If it were me, I'd go in this order: official questions/exams --> Medify --> If you have more time, MedEntry.

Kaplan is also useful if you want to improve in Verbal Reasoning, as their VR passages are very long and questions on average are more difficult than the real thing (for VR).

EDIT; May be worth it to save some official UCAT mocks for closer to the exam. This is up to you however, whatever works best.

thank you so much!! That's really helpful!   :)

Would you recommend starting medify early in year 11 and also use practice book questions alternatively and near the end of year 11/closer to year 12, purchase medentry?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:26:41 pm »
+4
thank you so much!! That's really helpful!   :)

Would you recommend starting medify early in year 11 and also use practice book questions alternatively and near the end of year 11/closer to year 12, purchase medentry?

You've got plenty of time, and if I were you I'd begin actual preparation closer to year twelve. It won't hurt to get to know the UCAT a bit more now though - the sections, and tips and tricks. I know people who prepared a few weeks before the exam and got 90+ percentile, and people who have been preparing for months and got lower scores. It really depends on what you feel will be best for you. It's important to remember that it is a skills-based test, and although it can be prepared for, there will always be a degree of uncertainty regarding how well you think you will do. My personal opinion would be to enjoy your time in year 11 and start preparing seriously for the UCAT more closer to year twelve, but I cannot speak for what will be best for you. You can start prep early or later on - just ensure it is useful and you are improving from it.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash