Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:05 am

Author Topic: Word classes  (Read 705 times)  Share 

jashaan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Word classes
« on: December 09, 2019, 03:43:42 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering when is lexicology metalanguage used? How do we use word classes as evidence or examples in english language essays.
Also, do we need to go into a lot of depth when learning word classes, e.g. present participle (-ing), past participle (-en)?

Thanks!!

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
Re: Word classes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:38:13 pm »
+2
Hey!
This reply is coming in super-late, but hopefully it's still helpful ;D

I was wondering when is lexicology metalanguage used? How do we use word classes as evidence or examples in english language essays.
Metalanguage from lexicology can be used at various times. For example, when you're writing an AC and quoting words from the text, it's often a good idea to identify their word class (basically just to try and show off how much metalanguage you know). Lexicology is also really great to talk about when people are being playful with their language (for example, playfully creating new words). For example, if an ad were to use the phrase "I'm an Uberer", then it would be really interesting to analyse what's happening in the word "Uberer" lexicologically (if that's a word lol) and morphologically.

Also, do we need to go into a lot of depth when learning word classes, e.g. present participle (-ing), past participle (-en)?
Short answer: no.
Long answer: maybe? But probably not. VCAA specifies in the study design (p. 17) that you need to know basic word classes. They have (at times) assessed slightly beyond the detail in the study design. For example, on the 2016 exam (page 3), there was a question about proper nouns (though they are not explicitly mentioned in the study design). So it seems like VCAA may (at times) go into slightly more detail that what's explicitly required. However, I personally don't think that VCAA would ask about participles (or stuff of that complexity level).

Hope this helps! ;D