Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:55:04 am

Author Topic: 57% on Unit 2 Scientific Poster SAC. Very upset.  (Read 2701 times)  Share 

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
57% on Unit 2 Scientific Poster SAC. Very upset.
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
As the thread name suggests, I apparently got a 57% on my Unit 2 Scientific Poster on taste sensation and perception. I've never gotten a grade this low in Psych, with my previous worst grade being a 76%. I honestly probably shouldn't create this thread until I actually get the criteria sheet with the teacher's marking back, but I'm just so distraught about it there's just this inner compulsion to vent.

This was my first time ever creating a scientific poster to this quality and authenticity, and although I wasn't expecting a particularly high grade or even my average of 80-88s, I didn't expect it to be this low. The worst thing is that my teacher inadvertently led me into a false sense of security by announcing to the class that some of us "did better than the Year 12s", so this is just even worse.
I'm getting really paranoid about my grades now, even more so than I already was, and I feel like I'm going on a slippery slope downwards like I did last year in Year 9 for semester 2.

Aside from getting the criteria sheet back and analysing what went wrong, what should I do?
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: 57% on Unit 2 Scientific Poster SAC. Very upset.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:37:48 pm »
+2
 - an outlier does necessarily mean much,  try not to lose much faith in your abilities
 - if you haven't faced this issue before there could be gaps in your understanding of scientific methodology
 - feel free to post your poster up for feedback if you wish, or to try and write another optimised one for feedback
 - consider talking to your teacher about your concerns
 - pay particular attention to the discussion section - this is one of the most important components

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
Re: 57% on Unit 2 Scientific Poster SAC. Very upset.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 10:06:04 pm »
+1
As the thread name suggests, I apparently got a 57% on my Unit 2 Scientific Poster on taste sensation and perception. I've never gotten a grade this low in Psych, with my previous worst grade being a 76%. I honestly probably shouldn't create this thread until I actually get the criteria sheet with the teacher's marking back, but I'm just so distraught about it there's just this inner compulsion to vent.

This was my first time ever creating a scientific poster to this quality and authenticity, and although I wasn't expecting a particularly high grade or even my average of 80-88s, I didn't expect it to be this low. The worst thing is that my teacher inadvertently led me into a false sense of security by announcing to the class that some of us "did better than the Year 12s", so this is just even worse.
I'm getting really paranoid about my grades now, even more so than I already was, and I feel like I'm going on a slippery slope downwards like I did last year in Year 9 for semester 2.

Aside from getting the criteria sheet back and analysing what went wrong, what should I do?
dont worry. dude its just year 11, your sac grades dont matter in year 11, so dont stress. i never took my year 11 sacs that seriously. its year 12 that matters. you still have plenty of time to improve until the next poster sac which you will possibly do in year 12 unit 4 psych. im doing yr 12 psych atm, and even i did pretty bad on the poster sac last year in yr 11 (i think i got an unsatisfactory or ungraded for that), but i guess miracles do happen, coz i got 40/40 on the poster sac this year coz i figured out what i did wrong last year and tried to improve myself. so yeah, if you put in the hard work and try to improve and work on your mistakes, you'll get there. i urge you to start your sac way before the teacher even introduces it, write down the hypothesis, aim, and all that stuff beforehand, so you dont stress out and do everything in last min. you have to ensure your hypothesis, aim, procedure and all that is very clear, concise and stay within the word limit (1000 words i think) or you will risk losing some marks. i also urge you to buy a big colourful a3 poster and present your scientific report on a poster, so that your poster stands out from others (thats what i did and it truly lifted my score up). hope it helps.