Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:41:53 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767376 times)  Share 

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #930 on: October 02, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
How do you go about memorising an entire lecture slide document? D: I've never really had to commit mass amounts of information to memory since a lot math/sci involves really understanding the concept but with comm you need to know a lot of definitions to get to the concept, well that's what i've found.
As in a single lecture?
Yeah a single lecture and even the collection of lecture slides for the semester! I don't know how you guys do it... I'm trying to summarise my own notes from lecture slides now, but I find I just copy it out :/ haha

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #931 on: October 02, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
^

Yeah I find I rewrite my notes a lot until it's in the simplest form possible, memorising word for word doesn't work for me.

Even drawing stupid diagrams helps me remember stuff, mnemonics, and overall just trying to make it *sound* interesting.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

catwoman101

« Reply #932 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »
+1
does UoM have anything to do with exercise science ?

There is one researcher (whose name I've forgotten) who is involved, but the research expertise is fairly limited I think. I asked someone about this just a few weeks ago.

what would you do to study this ??

VCEstudentguy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #933 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:34 pm »
I'm thinking of maybe putting my first preference down as Bachelor of Commerce which will lead to a Masters in X Engineering, I hear that you need to maintain a 65+ score to get into the Masters...is this difficult? Can someone compare this to attaining certain scores in VCE? Also, O-week, will it affect me massively if I miss it?

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #934 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »
does UoM have anything to do with exercise science ?

There is one researcher (whose name I've forgotten) who is involved, but the research expertise is fairly limited I think. I asked someone about this just a few weeks ago.

what would you do to study this ??

Probably Science and a major like Physiology... Then you would have to do research post grad. But I don't know too much more than that.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #935 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
I'm thinking of maybe putting my first preference down as Bachelor of Commerce which will lead to a Masters in X Engineering, I hear that you need to maintain a 65+ score to get into the Masters...is this difficult? Can someone compare this to attaining certain scores in VCE? Also, O-week, will it affect me massively if I miss it?
O-week is overrated, i hated it lol
Maintaining a 65+ shouldn't be overly difficult, but I've only done 1st year subjects so far. If you study for exams and keep up to date with what you learn in lectures you should be fine, it's not as hard as year 12 if you put the effort in.

^

Yeah I find I rewrite my notes a lot until it's in the simplest form possible, memorising word for word doesn't work for me.

Even drawing stupid diagrams helps me remember stuff, mnemonics, and overall just trying to make it *sound* interesting.
I don't really try any other ways of memorsing things apart from reading it in my mind or rewriting since they look kind of lame... I know.. hahaha I might have give it a go :P take a step out of my comfort zone...

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #936 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »

Why a commerce degree when you want to do engineering?
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
« Reply #937 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »
how'd you go?

Better than I thought but not as good as I would have liked considering I need as much leeway as possible for the next assignment. But my aim was not to fail and I guess that was met (lol). Were you happy?

You could do Commerce/Engineering at Monash if you wanted to infuse them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:11:20 pm by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

catwoman101

« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »
+1
Just wondering what people think of the physiology major??
and what jobs this can lead into ??

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #939 on: October 02, 2012, 09:20:23 pm »
how'd you go?

Better than I thought but not as good as I would have liked considering I need as much leeway as possible for the next assignment. But my aim was not to fail and I guess that was met (lol). Were you happy?

You could do Commerce/Engineering at Monash if you wanted to infuse them.

Yea i would recommend a double degree if your passion is in engineering. Otherwise you would have to plough through tedious and boring commerce subjects for 3 years :P

Just wondering what people think of the physiology major??
and what jobs this can lead into ??

You can do a masters in physiotherapy and become a physiotherapist.

VCEstudentguy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #940 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »

So are you trying to say I should do Science instead? I want to do it with Commerce because I thought it would be the equivalent of doing like a double degree Commerce/Engineering at Monash, is this right?

VCEstudentguy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #941 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »
Don't the breadth subjects allow you to choose Engineering topics simultaneously with Commerce topics or am I completely deluded?

I have a personal preference of Melbourne, but I'd still be pretty happy to go to Monash.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #942 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
+1
Yeah the Comm/M.Eng is the same as B.Comm/B.Eng at Monash, just a name difference but in Australia it doesn't really make you more employable than the Monash graduate, but I believe the Melbourne pathway is more favourable overseas - not 100% sure tho.

If you do Comm at Melb and want to do Eng then you will do Eng as breadth, yes. It's still probably 60-40, comm-sci/eng units but it depends on the eng specialty I think. Have a look at some of the course structures on the melb uni site, it will give you an idea.

Also, daaaayyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm!!! <3 <3 <3 :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :') That feeling when you finish an assignment!!! Yeeeooowwww eat a fat one Macro! :P

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #943 on: October 02, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »
Don't the breadth subjects allow you to choose Engineering topics simultaneously with Commerce topics or am I completely deluded?

I have a personal preference of Melbourne, but I'd still be pretty happy to go to Monash.

I guess it is like a double degree; Oh yea your breadth would be Engineering subjects. You would be doing engineering systems design 1/2 in the first year, not sure about second year though.

If you don't mind commerce then by all means go ahead. Double degree spreads out the commerce degree over a longer period so it's easier to handle it if you don't really enjoy commerce.

Also, daaaayyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm!!! <3 <3 <3 :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :') That feeling when you finish an assignment!!! Yeeeooowwww eat a fat one Macro! :P

haha i'm doing the second assignment for microeconomics at the moment. Finished the case study but stuck a little bit in part A.

Any pointers?? Or where i could find more information about LR/SR effects and factors in the textbook?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:37:03 pm by jinny1 »

VCEstudentguy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #944 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »
Awesome, thanks.