Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:17 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767313 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #495 on: February 25, 2012, 08:35:47 pm »
+1
Just wondering, with the lecture notes, will Physics 1, Chemistry 1 and Biology of Cells and Organisms have them available for sale at the bookshop like Calculus 1, or will I have to print them all?

Do you mean course notes? If so, those are currently on order at the bookshop; I've asked and was told to check back periodically for when they would arrive. You basically mean the theory notes that get put up on the slides during lectures right? They will be on the LMS too, for reference (and printing), but printed and bounded notes exist, just not available in the bookshop as of yet.
Science, Melbourne University.

ArchieMae

« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »
+1
The notes you will buy from the bookshop will be prac manuals, however the lecture slides you will need to download and print yourself whenever they become available on the LMS. Different lecturers will post them whenever they like, sometimes weekly or sometimes even the day before the lecture.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:06 pm »
Just wondering, with the lecture notes, will Physics 1, Chemistry 1 and Biology of Cells and Organisms have them available for sale at the bookshop like Calculus 1, or will I have to print them all?

Do you mean course notes? If so, those are currently on order at the bookshop; I've asked and was told to check back periodically for when they would arrive. You basically mean the theory notes that get put up on the slides during lectures right? They will be on the LMS too, for reference (and printing), but printed and bounded notes exist, just not available in the bookshop as of yet.

So these are just basically the lecture slides conveniently printed out and binded so you dont have to do it yourself?? Are they worth it??
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:27 pm »
+1
The notes you will buy from the bookshop will be prac manuals, however the lecture slides you will need to download and print yourself whenever they become available on the LMS. Different lecturers will post them whenever they like, sometimes weekly or sometimes even the day before the lecture.

Hmm? Prac manuals from the bookshop, and 'course notes' - what would they be for then?

I assume that course notes (as they call it) are the lecture slides as well as resources that get put up on the LMS, printed and binded into a single book which we then buy, rather than going to all the trouble to print and pre-read before each lecture.

Anyone know for sure?

ArchieMae

« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:25 pm »
+1
"Course notes" would be a generic phrase used by the bookshop to describe stuff you buy - whether it be prac/lab manuals, pre-printed Calc 1 slides or readings in the case of Arts subjects.

The lecturers for bio and chem will often add information to the slides last minute (maybe something relevant to the news or whatever), so they don't compile slides for the whole course at the start. Plus considering you will have upwards of 4 different lecturers during the semester it would be a nightmare for them to organise (and pay for) pre-bound slides for 2000 students.
For bio you will buy a lab manual and for chem you'll get a lab manual and tutorial workbook.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:26 pm »
+1
"Course notes" would be a generic phrase used by the bookshop to describe stuff you buy - whether it be prac/lab manuals, pre-printed Calc 1 slides or readings in the case of Arts subjects.

The lecturers for bio and chem will often add information to the slides last minute (maybe something relevant to the news or whatever), so they don't compile slides for the whole course at the start. Plus considering you will have upwards of 4 different lecturers during the semester it would be a nightmare for them to organise (and pay for) pre-bound slides for 2000 students.
For bio you will buy a lab manual and for chem you'll get a lab manual and tutorial workbook.

Yep, I think we're mostly on the same page (no pun intended). I assumed that the material that they teach from, in this case the lecture slides, pre-reading material and other bits and pieces would be compiled into a bounded book that we then buy. The annotations and other important things that get added by each lecturer we would then add ourselves, so it would make our lives a lot easier not having to print bit by bit each week. So we'd just bring it along to each lecture and annotate/add notes as each lecture progresses.

I do think that all the lecturers go off the same slides? I've already printed my slides for Calc 1, and flicking through some other subject's course notes in the bookstore, some of them had many pages of just slides. They do tell us that if you can't make it to one lecture, you can attend the later one and the presented content is the same, it's just that you may be slightly behind/ahead than the substitute you attend.

ArchieMae

« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
+1
I do think that all the lecturers go off the same slides? I've already printed my slides for Calc 1, and flicking through some other subject's course notes in the bookstore, some of them had many pages of just slides. They do tell us that if you can't make it to one lecture, you can attend the later one and the presented content is the same, it's just that you may be slightly behind/ahead than the substitute you attend.

Yes you're completely correct about that - but it's only the case for Calculus 1 and 2. For Bio and Chem (can't speak for Physics because I haven't done it) the same lecturer does all the repeat lectures on the given day so they get to the same point each time. However, every few weeks there will be a new lecturer and they'll each have their own slides.
Hope that clears things up a little.

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »

Yes you're completely correct about that - but it's only the case for Calculus 1 and 2. For Bio and Chem (can't speak for Physics because I haven't done it) the same lecturer does all the repeat lectures on the given day so they get to the same point each time. However, every few weeks there will be a new lecturer and they'll each have their own slides.
Hope that clears things up a little.

Oh I see, I'm sure we'll get told for our specific subjects how it'll be done (with lecture notes and that) within the first week.

So if there's a new lecturer once in a while, we'd need to print their notes as they're uploaded to LMS, because I'd assume that they wouldn't be included in the course notes that we simply purchase. I think my confusion is what exactly is in the course notes and how adequate they are to weekly lectures. It seems a real inconvenience then, that we have to regularly print slides and read them before the lecture. More so the printing part, not everyone has a laser jet printer.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »
I dont think you really need to print all the lecture slides, cant u just take notes on a notepad?

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »
I dont think you really need to print all the lecture slides, cant u just take notes on a notepad?

Yeah, but (for me) it's better to have the info on paper in front of you so you can just annotate, rather than extract and copy what's being displayed and missing out on some of what's being said.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »
+1
Course notes for.biology will not have lecture slides in them, the lecture slides will go up on the lms prior to the lecture and its up to you to print or not

Elnino_Gerrard

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #506 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:54 am »
So having a late confusion. Project management (2 hour lecture) , eng computation(1 hr) have a lecture clash on friday. They both have only one respective lecture on that day. My plan was to lectopia eng comp as ill be going to the other 2 lectures in the week and PM has only one lecture the whole week.
What do you guys think of that?. is it ok to lectopia eng comp? For people who have done it,Will i miss much if i lectopia and not attend?
May Drop PM otherwise.
2010 VCE ATAR : 98.35

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
+1
So tomorrow is the first day of uni :) i only have lectures and was wondering if i should bother bringing my heavy textbooks along with me.

and also for tutorials are we supposed to bring our textbooks?

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #508 on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »
+2
So tomorrow is the first day of uni :) i only have lectures and was wondering if i should bother bringing my heavy textbooks along with me.

and also for tutorials are we supposed to bring our textbooks?

From what i've heard, you don't need to bring them at all, I think it's for references and stuff at home. I'm probably wrong

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #509 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »
+2
That's correct. Textbooks stay at home.