Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:29 am

Author Topic: tsfx masterclasses or private tutoring for chem?  (Read 4411 times)  Share 

moonchild

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +29
tsfx masterclasses or private tutoring for chem?
« on: December 15, 2019, 01:33:36 pm »
+1
Hello,
I am starting yr 12 in 2020, i was just wondering if the tsfx chem masterclasses are worth it or if i should do private tutoring instead?
im fairly weak in chem but am hoping to do the best i can for chem 3/4. I dont know much about the tsfx classes so any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: tsfx masterclasses or private tutoring for chem?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:48:14 pm »
+3
Hello,
I am starting yr 12 in 2020, i was just wondering if the tsfx chem masterclasses are worth it or if i should do private tutoring instead?
im fairly weak in chem but am hoping to do the best i can for chem 3/4. I dont know much about the tsfx classes so any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Hi moonchild ;D
What areas do you find you are struggling at in Chem? Is it the workload or is it the understanding of certain topics? If you can identify this, it makes it much easier to pick out of the two!
Both TSFX and private tutors have their ups and downs! Do you prefer one-on-one tutoring or do you prefer to listen in a lecture-style environment with other students? I've only attended the TSFX revision lecture classes (thank you Yr 11 free coupons) and it is pretty much similar to the AN lecture, only with a VCAA examiner! They give you a set of notes and they sort of just go through it and the traps that many students face when answering a question. They also tend to fully emphasis what they are 'tired' of seeing on an exam and try to give you a better solution to get higher marks. It is pretty full-on and the hours in one class can be quite long sometimes.

Private tutoring, however, can go at your own pace and can fully revolve around you. Honestly, if the private tutor you plan to get happens to be a 3/4 Chem teacher or even a VCAA examiner, I would lean towards them more than TSFX. One of the Further teachers I used to get help from is the lecturer of the 3/4 Further Masterclasses and she usually gives you a hard-copy set of notes and goes through poorly answered questions that she has marked on exams as well as going through the study design (areas of improvement). The notes from TSFX are very detailed and condensed down, so if you learn best by reading or writing, this might be for you. (Also heard about exclusive booklets they give to their masterclasses but I've never seen them in person so I can't really give you an opinion.)

Overall it really depends on your learning style and if you feel more effective with classroom-style learning or a hands-on approach with the sole focus on you. If you tend to learn better by talking about the content you are learning and don't feel comfortable in a large environment, a private tutor may be best? The main question is, who would you feel more comfortable interacting with? A large group or just one person?

Hope this kind of helps! ;D