Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:22 pm

Author Topic: Past Students Rankings in cohort and their respective study score  (Read 950 times)  Share 

issyfailingyear12

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hey ANers

I am currently in Year 12 and I'm just wondering if I can get these scores based on what I got on my first SACs. Some background info: I am currently doing 5 subjects this year, go to a selective school(not MHS or Macrob tho), aim to get into Medicine or Physiotherapy and I'm aiming for a 99 atar although not sure at this current rate.

Chemistry: I got 56% on my First SAC even though the average was like 75% or something so ranking wise, I'm probs around 160/200 or something. Can I get a low 40 score (so like 40, 41 or 42) if I improve on the rest of my Sacs and do well on the exam?

Biology: I got 82% on my First SAC and the average was like 72% or something. I'm probs ranked around 50/150 or something. Can I get a mid 40s score so like (44, 45 or 46)?

Psychology: I got 86% on my First SAC and the average was like 80%. Probs ranked around 40/100 or something. Can I get like a mid 40s score like (44, 45 or 46)?

Can past students drop their rough rankings for Unit 3 and 4 in the cohort, cohort strength and scores?
2019: HHD - 39 | Geography 42
2020: Methods | English | Biology | Chemistry | Psychology

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Past Students Rankings in cohort and their respective study score
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:24:27 pm »
+7
You can definitely improve your ranking by performing well in future SACs. It is impossible to tell with the minimal information you have given if you can achieve X study score, because this will depend on your performance on the exam and all future SACs.

That being said, I can give you information regarding psych (50). I was ranked somewhere in the top 6 (not first) in a strong cohort. Don't remember my raw SAC average, but it wasn't high (e.g. one time I got 86% and that was the highest score in the entire cohort due to the difficulty of the SAC, so my score got scaled to 100%).

Honestly, if you work hard and are determined to improve then you will. Try not to focus on the numbers and try your best. Don't let your first SAC score dissuade you from doing so - in the end, the exam counts the most and if you smash that, then there's little stopping you from your goals (especially if you improve your SAC scores).
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:32:42 pm »
+5
Hi issyfailingyear12,

Welcome to AN! :)

Based on what you have posted I would still say your aims are possible but you are possibly behind the curve for your aims at this moment in time. That is fine you still have time to make up ground on future sacs. For most of your subjects you most likely need to improve your sac ranking to give you a reasonable shot at getting your aims. Otherwise, you might need exam scores that are equivalent to very high 40's/50's to get those low 40's study scores.

As an aside, not necessarily in response to your post but since I have seen this said a lot around the forums recently. Going to a selective school does not automatically improve your sac scores and make it easier for you to get a higher study score. There are obvious many benefits such as in popular subjects being in the top 5-15 is basically equivalent to rank 1. So ranking is not that important if you can in that top group who are most likely going to put out 45+ exam performances but once you are in the bottom half of the cohort it becomes much tougher since you are relying on 100+ students to do really well on the exam which is not always possible.

brothanathan

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:34:57 pm »
+2
Honestly, if you work hard and are determined to improve then you will. Try not to focus on the numbers and try your best. Don't let your first SAC score dissuade you from doing so - in the end, the exam counts the most and if you smash that, then there's little stopping you from your goals (especially if you improve your SAC scores).

How real this statement is not so mind-blowing; it is how this game works.

There are plenty of past students who were rank 3 or rank 6 during the year and even ranks lower believe it or not, who ended up reviving themselves, and topping their subject in the end or at least exceeded expectations.

Never be discouraged by a bad SAC ranking, learn from it and focus on executing those areas in the exam. It will pay dividends.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:37:48 pm by brothanathan »

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 04:36:10 pm »
+4
Even though this doesn't apply to your current subjects (tho I'm in a similar situation to you for Chem and Psych about the worry of Sac scores and study scores), I can give you information about my geography scores.

I think I was ranked around 11th in my cohort for Geography out of 19 before the SACS. After the exams, I managed to get an A+ and got a 41. Yes the median in the cohort was also a 41 so I think I only moved up 1 to 2 spots however that was probably attributed to a smaller subject size and that I got a low A+ instead of a medium or high A+. You've still got time to improve in your Sacs tho.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!