Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:08:03 pm

Author Topic: Endosymbiosis conquers Biomedicine - A university journal  (Read 1120 times)

Endosymbiosis

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +3
Endosymbiosis conquers Biomedicine - A university journal
« on: July 12, 2020, 06:29:14 pm »
+9
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have decided to start my own university journal since I have enjoyed reading others so much.  :)

What are you currently studying?
I am currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne (2020-2022). (I'm still an innocent jaffy :-[)

What subjects are you completing this year?
In semester 1, I completed three core subjects: Biomolecules and Cells, Chemistry for Biomedicine, Mathematics for Biomedicine and one elective, Mind, Brain and Behaviour 1.
In semester 2, I will be completing three core subjects: Genes and Environment, Physics for Biomedicine (:-[), Experimental Design and Data Analysis and one elective, Mind, Brain and Behaviour 2.

What are your future aspirations and goals?
Short term goals, I hope to maintain an 80+ WAM throughout the next three years (which is a prerequisite to entering the Doctor of Medicine, which I'm leaning towards at the moment). I initially thought an 80+ WAM would be quite easy considering in VCE I aimed for 95+ in most of my subjects, however assessment in university is much different :'(. It seems like there is SO much to know and everything is taught so quickly, which is very different to high school. Ideally, I would like to achieve first class honours (H1) for every subject I complete. So far, I have successfully completed this goal for semester 1 8). However, my semester 2 subjects are very different. I have not completed physics since year 10 so I'm kind of petrified to reopen that chapter, and also the words 'data analysis' make me want to cry so I am not excited for Experimental Design and Data Analysis.
Long term goals, I wish to study the Doctor of Medicine in 2023 and beyond (I'm not 100% sure about this, but I will have the next 2 and a half years to decide :P). At the moment, neurosurgery is a field that I can see myself in. My other option is to pursue research, which has always been an area that has intrigued me. I am fascinated by neurobiology/neuroscience and so that could possibly be a future area of research.
Other non-school related goals include buying a car and finally getting my license (Last year, in VCE, I completely neglected driving and now I am suffering those repercussions as basically all of my friends have their license :'(). I also have a part time job so I want to keep working as much as I can whilst on university break to build up my savings!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:03:55 pm by Endosymbiosis »
VCE (2019): | Biology [50] | Chemistry [50] | Psychology [48] | English [45] |
ATAR: 99.40
2020-2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine, The University of Melbourne

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Endosymbiosis conquers Biomedicine - A university journal
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:15 pm »
+2
Hey,

Excited to follow along your journey, been looking for a bio-med journal for some time now.

How has semester one been with the corona bs?

2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Endosymbiosis conquers Biomedicine - A university journal
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:06:28 pm »
+2
Long term goals, I wish to study the Doctor of Medicine in 2023 and beyond (I'm not 100% sure about this, but I will have the next 2 and a half years to decide :P). At the moment, neurosurgery is a field that I can see myself in. My other option is to pursue research, which has always been an area that has intrigued me. I am fascinated by neuropsychology/neuroscience and so that could possibly be a future area of research.

Hey Endosymbiosis :) Fascinating choice of name by the way.

I'm curious to hear how you have stumbled upon neurosurgery for a field you are interested in. I know for me personally, I struggle to decide this early on where I see myself in 10 years. Foresight isn't always my strongest trait :P
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash