Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:22:30 am

Author Topic: Maths in Physics  (Read 1494 times)  Share 

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Maths in Physics
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:32 pm »
+1
Hi,

If I was asked to explain a particular physics topic or concept, and I included university level physics, included calculus with integrals and the like would my response be marked down (assuming that it was actually answering the question, it was just the use of calculus)?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Maths in Physics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:18:58 pm »
+2
Hi,

If I was asked to explain a particular physics topic or concept, and I included university level physics, included calculus with integrals and the like would my response be marked down (assuming that it was actually answering the question, it was just the use of calculus)?

Hmm, that's a tough one to answer, I'm not sure! I am guessing that you'd probably confuse the heck out of some markers, and that could lead to marks being lost. If your answer is incorrect you'd almost definitely get zero - Since you aren't using HSC methods to solve the problems. The more advanced methods won't be worth anything in the HSC.

I suppose my counter-question would be, why are you using tertiary level Physics ideas to solve problems that can be solved more easily with the HSC Physics formula? :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »
If my memory serves me right, that counter question is the exact reason why you can't use techniques beyond the scope of the HSC course.

No guarantees though

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:45:51 am »
Good question. Generally because I find I can be more concise by writing what I'm trying to explain in maths. But, if it would potentially loose marks (or get zero) it's probably best I just learn how to better communicate my thoughts through the intended HSC physics format.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:31 am »
+1
The formulas condense all the maths that goes on behind it. Most of the time a formula can be used without a detailed explanation as to why we use it either.

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:10:40 pm »
Hmmm,

All physics questions are marked using very specific criteria. If you put in university level maths, you would be straying away from the desired criteria and risk losing marks even though you would be correct. Also, high school science is rather different to tertiary level education which means there are some untrue content in high school just to simplify things. This also means the board will mark differently to what is expected with tertiary level knowledge.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice