Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:48 am

Author Topic: Chinese SL  (Read 2330 times)  Share 

Fly_Guy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Chinese SL
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:34 pm »
Hi, so I’m currently a year 10 student taking Chinese Second Language as a unit 3/4 subject. I have a Chinese background, however I am really struggling in this subject. I’ve taken chinese classes since year 1, but up until Chinese SL prep I’ve been slacking off, barely paying attention in class, not doing any homework etc. Even then I’ve only now really started putting in some effort. I’m aiming for a study score of above 25, but I don’t know if I’ll even be able to achieve that since I got a c+ (around 9-10/20) for my first sac which was an essay. Furthermore, I’m also doing methods 1/2 and general maths 1/2 (granted I actually like maths), though methods still has an insane work load. I do Chinese SL at Great Future Chinese School. Please give me some help and guidance, I would really appreciate it.
(My vocab is kinda **** btw, and I really have no motivation for chinese, but I know it’s going to benefit me a lot in the future and am trying to push myself in working hard as much as I can so long as I don’t have a mental breakdown)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:23:14 pm by Fly_Guy »

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Chinese SL
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:17:34 pm »
woah, 3/4 during year 10 - nice!

Yeah in my experience Chinese SL was kind of a depressing subject. I think it's because of the way the Chinese language schools run the show over here and make it basically the worst thing ever.

I think an important part of doing well in sl is preparing super early. Like, try to have your general convo and detailed study done soon, and start memorising and rehearsing soon as well. For essays and translation, try to get a lot of practice and a lot of feedback. You have to kind of accept that the essays in chinese sl are just super rigid in their structure, which is is both a plus and a minus - a plus because that makes them predictable and easy to prepare for, and a minus because it makes them incredibly bland to write (unless you choose the creative essay like an absolute mad lad).

Basically you have to do what you already know you have to do - bite the bullet, endure, and work hard. You can chill out a little with your 1/2s - prioritise the 3/4.

Anyways, as someone who also had no motivation for Chinese, I assure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and that you'll be thankful that you did it once it's all over. Regardless of study score, learning Chinese is incredibly valuable, and I'd argue somewhat important for someone with a Chinese background.

Good luck!
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)

aspiringantelope

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 09:28:36 pm »
Great to see this area of the forum popping up again!!! Even though I checked it for my sanity.
Just saying, there's a new study design next year...
Which would be even worse if you did it next year [which I am] as there wouldn't be past exams.
Seeing that your Chinese isn't that good [from what you said], it would great if we could practice writing essays on here, and help mark each others if you want. Or another thing to expand our vocabularies!

topnotch1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:56:02 pm »
Chinese SL is nothing but hard work... all those who I know that got 50 raw weren't just geniuses, they worked incredibly hard, prepared their detailed study and gen con before the year started and rehearsed it for the whole entire year.
It's already so impressive doing a 3/4 subject in year 10, but if you need to repeat it next year, so be it! I know of quite a few people who have repeated CSL and got significantly higher marks (30 to a 42). However, this year should also give you a good idea of what a 3/4 is like, the demands of a year 12 subject and I'm sure it will really challenge you. CSL is incredibly difficult for everyone and almost all the students who undertake this subject all feel lost and behind at some point, but try not to lose faith and just continue to work hard.
To put it into perspective... I wrote an average of 5 essays a week, practiced my general conversation and detailed study everyday (with scripts of 30k+ characters), practiced vocab a couple times a week and also translated at least 5 paragraphs a week. Even with a background of chinese, I got a 41 and all of it was from pure hard work, even though I knew my chinese skills weren't the best.
All the best!