Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:54:03 am

Author Topic: Any suggestions for quick improvement on English?  (Read 2155 times)

99.95_goal

• Forum Regular
Any suggestions for quick improvement on English?
« on: October 25, 2020, 05:03:55 pm »
Hey guys, as you all may know, the English exams are in about two weeks, I 'm really distressed right now because my practice essay scores have hardly improved in the past months - I started off with about a 7 in each section and have just barely reached an 8, I really, really want to do well in English and have put a lot of effort but my scores don't really reflect that. Do you guys have any suggestions?
and also do you guys happen to know what scores I 'd need for each section for a 40+ in English? Thanks so much - good luck with revising

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
Re: Any suggestions for quick improvement on English?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 05:53:33 pm »
and also do you guys happen to know what scores I'd need for each section for a 40+ in English? Thanks so much - good luck with revising
For a 40+ you will pretty much need an A+ on the exam (or a very high A)
An A+ in 2019 was ~75%
So if you score <8/10 I would think this would be a safe bet for a SS over 40
So i think you're on the right track
Tips to get a 9-10/10
- Develop original ideas, CHALLENGE the prompt demonstrate a high level of understanding of your texts (in section a & b) by presenting unique ideas
- Develop a vocab bank, note down words you are often repeating and write a list of alternatives; challenge yourself to learn at least one new word per day till the English exam
- Flow is important; make sure the general flow in your essay is easy to read (a basic way to do this is to discuss the essay in the order of the original story- but you don't have to do this for good flow) also make sure within the paragraph your ideas are linked together in a logical manner
- PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE write timed essays (1 hour per essay) as this is a good way to practice writing in timed conditions
- Analyse teacher feedback see where you're lacking + what you're doing well (a 7/10 is still a good score!)
PM me for further advice and if you want direct essay feedback I am more than happy to help!
All the best, you got this!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

99.95_goal

• Forum Regular
Re: Any suggestions for quick improvement on English?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 06:26:18 pm »
For a 40+ you will pretty much need an A+ on the exam (or a very high A)
An A+ in 2019 was ~75%
So if you score <8/10 I would think this would be a safe bet for a SS over 40
So i think you're on the right track
Tips to get a 9-10/10
- Develop original ideas, CHALLENGE the prompt demonstrate a high level of understanding of your texts (in section a & b) by presenting unique ideas
- Develop a vocab bank, note down words you are often repeating and write a list of alternatives; challenge yourself to learn at least one new word per day till the English exam
- Flow is important; make sure the general flow in your essay is easy to read (a basic way to do this is to discuss the essay in the order of the original story- but you don't have to do this for good flow) also make sure within the paragraph your ideas are linked together in a logical manner
- PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE write timed essays (1 hour per essay) as this is a good way to practice writing in timed conditions
- Analyse teacher feedback see where you're lacking + what you're doing well (a 7/10 is still a good score!)
PM me for further advice and if you want direct essay feedback I am more than happy to help!
All the best, you got this!
Thank you so much for replying, those are really good tips! Another question though - do you know how I can make the most of these two weeks(ie. what would you be doing if you were me right now to really boost your score to the max since there isn't that much time left)?